This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
    But no round ones. They tried, but too many arguments over what the number was really supposed to be!
    These have indents inside them with free-floating weights. When the die is on a "side" the weight falls into one of the indentations and keeps one number up - I've never had it questioned.

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
    The Ninja Class had its own dedicated rule book back in 2nd Edition, but from 3rd Edition onward, the Ninja Class is virtually nowhere to be seen, and I find the Shadow Dancer and Assassin Prestige Classes to be poor substitutes for a true Ninja Class.

--Jack (Who just wants to play a Ninja in D&D... is that really so wrong? )
    OA - 'nuff said.

Quoth Kiwi View Post
    so for a non gamer, can I ask

why so many different dice? and why so many numbers....
    Different dice for different sets of "random" numbers. D20s are most commonly used (1-20 random numbers) attacks, etc. The others are for other things -

D6s (six sided dice - like with most games & craps) are also used to generate stats (3D6 - 3-18 for the score).

The others are used for different levels of damage (a dagger may only require a 4 sided die for damage while a great sword may require a twelve sided die). Also for treasures, monster damage, different amount of hit points for different classes (mages are physically weaker than fighters).

As for the number of dice - mostly to show off or to build a collection. Most DMs would need at most:
    2 X D4
    5 X D6
    2 X D8
    3 X D10
    2 X D12
    3 X D20
    1 X D30
    1 X D100

Even some of these would be overkill (2 D12s?) - players would maybe need even less.

Quoth neecy View Post
    I never got in to D&D but I have to say,

GORGEOUS meezer!!!!
    Dharma? She is pretty and I'm surprised she stayed there as I was moving things to and from her resting spot.

I've also decided to officially start collecting older D&D equipment - books etc.

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
    No one will teach me how to play this game. My frustrations are limitless. No one will let me in their party, or teach me. And i want to learn..
    I always loved having new players - they're great to mess around with. Plus, even the most basic / over used / repetitive adventure is very impressive to newbies (and a great way for them to learn).
    Last edited by draggar; 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Well, there are the 7 dice all gamers need:

1 d4
      1 d6
      1 d8
      1 d10
      1 d12
      1 d20
      1 percentile die

I've never played 1st generation D&D, and I only played for a few weeks at D&D 2.0. I've mostly played 3.0 and 3.5 eds. So my explanation will come from there.

The d20 is basically rolled for just about anything (that's why it's called the d20 system). If you're rolling for initiative (to see who goes first you or others in the party or even the "baddie"). You roll the d20 to see if you've hit the bad guy. You roll the d20 to see if you know anything about a certain subject (hence the "knowledge whatevers").

The d4 is usually used for Magic Missles and smaller weapons (i.e., the dagger).

The d's 6-12 are damage dice for larger weapons.

When playing table top, I'd recommend rolling your d20 and the damage dice for the weapon your character has. (Makes the battle go quicker because you don't have to roll your d20, check to see if you hit it, and then find the appropriate die (or dice if your weapon does more damage) and then roll those). I learned that whilst playing Living Greyhawk at RPGA events (now that it's 4.0 and Forgotten Realms, I haven't played any RPGA events and I'm a sad Rum).

As for the d30 - all the DMs use it if they have a female (of reproductive age ) in the party. Ahem ... use the imagination for that one.

I might be forgetting a few things (I haven't played in almost a year).

So others can chime in for everything else.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        OA - 'nuff said.
        Ummm.... not really. What does the homeworld of the Guardians of the Universe have to do with ninjas?!?

"Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

I was referring to the AD&D core books Oriental Adventures.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            I was referring to the AD&D core books Oriental Adventures.
            Hmmm.... come to think of it, I seem to remember that Wizards of the Coast did a version of that for 3rd Edition and/or 3.5. But from what I remember, it was HEAVILY based on Legend of the Five Rings (which WOTC somehow managed to acquire as one of their properties.) The problem there? L5R strongly discourages Game Masters from allowing the use of ninjas as Player Characters.

Oh, and I guess I forgot to mention that I mainly play D&D in the form of the Neverwinter Nights games for the PC, because I've never been able to get enough friends together in one place at one time to run a campaign of a paper & dice RPG. So not only would ninjas have to be retroactively worked into 3rd Edition and/or Edition 3.5, if they're not already there, but they'd also have to be worked into NWN 2 for me to be happy! (Having them in the original NWN would've been fantastic, but Bioware issued their FINAL update/patch for the game last year, and there's still no official Ninja Class, at least not that I'm aware of, anyway. )

Still, thanks for the info. If I'm ever fortunate enough to get into a paper & dice campaign, I'll have to make sure it's run off of 3rd Edition and track down that rules book!
            "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
            --StanFlouride

Comment

It is very hard to get a paper * dice game today - I have one other person in the office who would love to join but we can't find anyone else.

If you want the best for games, a 1E / 2E hybrid is the best. They were easily interchangeable between the two so you could easily have a 1E Spelljammer game.

I tried 3E and really didn't like it, the Tiny Adventures app on Facebook is nice - and I think it is based on 3E or 3.5E?
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Ah, the D100...half my players loved it, half hated it.

My copy of Deities has the missing chapters (found it at my former workplace for $5...I really don't think the owner knew what he had).

Currently my collection consists of:
                Deities & Demigods
                MM (with ads)
                3E Underdark
                3.5 Drow of the Underdark
                AD&D FR Drow softcover book
                AD&D FR campaign boxset
                AD&D Waterdeep and the North
                buttload of minis--I really do need to get rid of some of them (shortly after lamenting my lack of Beholder minis awhile ago I pulled four O_o I have one original beholder, one from Dungeons of Dread and two from the newest set)
                GURPS Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (apparently pretty rare)
                Ghostbusters International RPG box set, Tobin's Spirit Guide, and one other module
                Call of Cthulhu 5th edition rules
                buttload of random sourcebooks

When I was running Ghostbusters, we just pulled from other books as desired and if it didn't fit a particular d6-system rule, we made it fit or just ignored the dicebased rules.
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                  Still, thanks for the info. If I'm ever fortunate enough to get into a paper & dice campaign, I'll have to make sure it's run off of 3rd Edition and track down that rules book!
                  Good luck tracking down 3 and 3.5 books....WotC yanked ALL versions (except 4th) soon after 4th came out. Best you'll do is find them used.
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Sarlon is correct. Used bookstores are going to be your friend. Or buy them off people who have decided that 4th ed. is more to their cup of tea. However, Paizo is staying 3.5 so you have more choices than just WoTC.

FTR, I haven't played 4th ed. I've heard it's more rollplaying based than roleplaying. So if you like long involved storylines and much talking between PCs and NPCs, 4th will not be what you're looking for.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                      Good luck tracking down 3 and 3.5 books....WotC yanked ALL versions (except 4th) soon after 4th came out. Best you'll do is find them used.
                      There were plenty on Amazon when you started your game - I got a set of 3.5 books just for that.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

i have a lot of those books, and more. I have boxes upon boxes of books, box sets (some still complete, some missing parts) in closets and on the bookshelf in my bedroom, all from my stepdad. We even have volumes one and two of three, of "Dungons & Dragons: Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures" not the original first printing, but still..
                        "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Firstly:

Secondly, nowadays, I'm like Jack T... having to pc my rpg.

Lastly, when I was, I did Runequest. Instead of this d20 stuff to see if you hit, based on what the person you are attacking is wearing (and levels and all that jazz...), I prefer the concept of you hit, depending on your ability to hit... as a straight %.

So, in Runequest, all skills are % (and, over 100% is allowed). Have two d10's, of 2 different colours, and decide (in advance ) which is the tens, and which is the units. If you hit, and they don't parry or dodge, roll for damage, and then - and only then - compare it against your opponents armour rating. Anyone can learn to cast spells if they choose (in DnD, you start with a 'class' which automatically defines what you can and can't do - even if you decide to change classes later. RQ doesn't have that limitation... you start off with a set of skills which you allocate skill points to (as a %)... and if you've got the money, you can buy spells! Anyone can, technically, be anything... but that will depend on other factors (race, cult etc).

OOh - Rifts! I LOVED that concept! Pick a genre... now, mix it with any other genre! Cool!
                          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

$1,895.00

Gack!!!!!

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                              I always loved having new players - they're great to mess around with. Plus, even the most basic / over used / repetitive adventure is very impressive to newbies (and a great way for them to learn).
                              Yeah sadly the gaming club at my school doesn't like me. My friends who do it just don't invite me. And the people at the closest game store is kind of elitist.

The nice game stores are really far by bus, and I'm shy. So hopefully one day.

Also, Chanlin has taught me how to make a character sheet. I'm very excited. I have a Lvl 1 Druid Elf. YAY
                              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Whoa.

Draggar, that issue of "Deities & Demigods": does it have the Cthulian gods listed in it? What about the gods from Michael Moorcock's Elric saga?
                                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                                X