This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who went to my dog trainer?

Apparently I recommended a dog trainer in Freehold, NJ for someone here (well, a lot of people) but he got a call from someone - I'm assuming it was from here since I have recommended him to a lot of people in that area.

Just out of curiosity, who was it? I guess they were coming from a distance and a place he's never heard of.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I know you recommended your friend to me, but I haven't yet. I'm still living at my parents place till I finish college and can't get a dog until I get my own place.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Wasn't me, but from Freehold! (I'm there right now!)
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

If you ever have a dog that needs training - look him up.

He's building a HUGE facility near the outlets - something like 40-50 acres.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

/me waves. Yo, it was me. After I posted my notes about Denali (way back here in Sept of last year), and both you and Saydrah pointed out that this was fear aggression, I did some reading up on it.

I thought I could fix it. It seemed like something relatively straightforward. I've since learned I was wrong. She might have improved very very slightly, but not enough. I just know it's only a matter of time until she winds up actually biting someone, and a problem ensues. I finally caved, and called for professional help.

We made the drive today, and he seems like an amazing person. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can use him. We don't want to board her, and that leaves day school. Doing that will add around two hours to my drive time every day. He mentioned this could be three months worth of work with her.

I want to do it. I know the dog is worth it. I know he's good, and would help us fix these last problems. But I'm not sure I can do that. Hell, I'm not sure my truck would be able to handle that much extra driving.

Even though he's expensive, the money is not the issue here. I liked what I heard. However, in the interests of maintaining my own sanity, I have to talk to my vet (who is absolutely amazing) about some of the more local people that they work with, and see if I can find someone who is close enough to your trainer's skill level but lives closer to me. If not, I'll find a way to make your trainer work.

But I have to try for something closer first.

Comment

Good luck - Shelly is a great guy (even if he is a little blunt and straight-forward).

Day school might be a bit much - an hour each way so honestly boarding may be the way to go - how long would he have her for?

You should have also asked him if he knew any trainers in your area he'd recommend.
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Well, he did say that he would expect the entire process to take up to three months.

With her abandonment issues, boarding is not really an option at this point.

As to asking him for trainers up here: You're right, I should have. Just didn't think of it.

Comment

Then call him.

Also - boarding might also help with her abandonment issues (seperation anxiety?), too.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                X