X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/O from When I Was Your Age (Looong)

This is my hurricane story.

I know that there are many people here who have greatly suffered from natural disasters. In no way do I intend to equate my experience with theirs. I present it only as an example of what 9 year-old girls were allowed or expected to do in the 1950s.

(BG) Sandy, Nancy and I lived in a tiny town that probably included about 100 single family homes. The place was roughly triangular and was bordered on the long side by a truck route. The stretch of road that bordered our town was barren except for a failed strip mall. The only thing working there was a Laundromat.

At one corner of our town an extension of the truck route provided the only way to get to school. Every day, Sandy, Nancy and I would meet there and ride our bikes or walk the mile and a half. The only thing between our homes and the school was a high-voltage power station. On one side of the road was an array of pylons. On the other was a squat building of dark brick. They were connected by overhead cables. All this is important. (End of BG)

The morning of our story was a bit drab. There was some wind and some rain. The local radio station advised that we might be getting the tail-end of a hurricane late in the afternoon. School was on but we weren't allowed to ride our bikes.

Sandy, Nancy and I met at our usual corner. We were well-swathed in rain boots, rain coats and hats. We had our lunches and our book bags. It was an ordinary day.

Our school was an old-fashioned sort with high, big windows. Around 11 AM, it was clear that the storm was coming in a lot quicker than expected. Rain was pelting down and large trees were swaying ominously.

The Principal came into our class and announced that school was closing. Mr. McGuire, our teacher gave us our homework assignment and sent us on our way home. Sandy, Nancy and I put on our outer wear and got ready to leave. As soon as we stepped out the door we knew there were problems. The storm might have not even reached a category 1 but, for three little girls who didn't weigh more that 60 lbs each, getting home was going to be a problem.

We locked our elbows against the wind and worked our way along the truck route. It was hard going and the power station that usually emitted only a low hum was now screaming as the overhead cables tossed in the wind.

We reached the corner where we usually parted company and realized that we'd never make it home alone today. We decided to go to the Laundromat.

It was a good choice. The place was warm and dry. The power was on and it had a toilet. We pooled our resources. Sandy had 25 cents. That was enough to buy us the use of a dryer. In went our socks, our coats and our hats. I had 20 cents. That was enough to buy us two bottles of pop to drink with our lunch. Nancy had 10 cents. That was enough to call her Mom from the pay-phone and tell her that we were safe and comfortable. Nancy's Mom would call Sandy's Mom and mine. She was also the only Mom who had a car to come pick us up if needed.

The storm went out as quickly as it came in. By 2PM, Nancy's Mom came to pick us up at the Laundromat. She found us properly dressed, well-fed and happily engaged on our homework.

It wasn't all that much but it was a bit of an adventure that I think Sandy, Nancy and I will always remember.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

And it just goes to show that given a chance children can be responsible, smart and look out for their own safety.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      And it just goes to show that given a chance children can be responsible, smart and look out for their own safety.
      And each other as well.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

That's awesome!
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thanks all for your kind messages.

It really wasn't awesome, it was just what 'free-range girls' in the 1950s who read Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames books would do.

In our time and place we didn't have a lot of structured activities. After school and on weekends we could pretty much do what we wanted to do and go where we wanted to go. The bikes gave us our freedom. The only thing we had to do was be home for Supper.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
          X