This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a motor club?? Moi????

I just got an email from the president of my motor car club - out of the blue - saying that since he and his wife have a new baby boy, he hasn't had enough time to devote to running the club.

He asked if I would be interested in taking the reigns!

To say that I am shocked by this offer is a vast understatement. For one thing, I don't even own one of these cars (I think you guys know which one, since I've posted about it before), I'm what's called an "enthusiast" (a nicer term than "wannabe").

For another, I've never been directly involved in any event planning. Being an enthusiast, I always thought I was more an "honorary member" than anything else.

Wow.....I am just blown away by this. And I'm not sure I can do it......it would mean scheduling the club tech sessions (which means being club liaison with one of the major service centers for this car), road rallies/driving tours (eek!!!!), maintaining the club relationship with two MAJOR car shows, and maintaining the club website.

Strictly speaking, I should be seeking counsel on one of the forums for this car, but I'd rather not announce anything over there just yet.

This could be a very big opportunity for me, but........God, I'm not sure if I can pull it off. I haven't gotten back to him yet (only got his message half an hour ago), but I can't sit on this indefinitely.....
    Any thoughts?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

If you aren't a very anal, detail oriented, highly organized guy I would decline.
    I think most members will be cool, but there's always a couple of a-holes who can make your life hell.
    I know personally I would never want to lead our club. It's much more fun being a follower where car clubs are concerned.

What kind of car club is this, (I don't know your history)?
    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.---Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Quoth Mr Yuck View Post
      What kind of car club is this, (I don't know your history)?

http://dmcne.com/
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Very cool Dave!
        I belong to a BMW club myself. On one of the BMW forums I hang out on, a poster just listed a bunch of pics of DeLorean he just purchased.... I believe in Michigan.

Of course that led to the mandatory jokes about a bag of coke in the glovebox.

Comment

Quoth Mr Yuck View Post
          Of course that led to the mandatory jokes about a bag of coke in the glovebox.
          And that requires a mandatory visit from The Salmon.

Anyway, this isn't a very big club, because there aren't that many DeLoreans in New England.....but man......it's an intimidating prospect.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I agree that it could definitely be intimidating, but I think the small club size is an advantage here.
            If I were to lead a club, I would want it to be a smaller club where I knew everyone pretty well.

If you are a pretty well organized guy, and have the time, then I say go for it!

....yeah...gotta imagine the coke references....or for that matter the Back to the Future references get a little stale.

Comment

Hahah.

Being in another car club I was going to say if you don't have one, don't take the job. I personally couldn't care less, but I can see how some members would be extremely put off by someone who doesn't even have one leading the club.

However. De Loreans? Not exactly a dime a dozen. I think it's perfectly reasonable to not have had the opportunity and/or means to purchase one yet.

I don't know the club, but ... have a frank talk to the existing guy about what it's like, on a personal interaction level. Are the club members supportive of their pres or does he constantly deal with their whiney shit?

Like others have said, you'd have to be an organised type of person, and have enough free time to do it. If you are and do, then go for it.

Comment

Heard back from the club president.

He says the fact that I do not yet own one of these cars did not enter into his consideration for who to hand the reigns to.

"It's all about the passion for these cars. After meeting you, I say that you too had the same passion."

He also says that he's not planning to just dump everything in my lap, but will stay on as a sort of vice president to help me out (since he's the one with all the contacts and connections) and perhaps in a year I can take over and run things entirely on my own.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                X