This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best jury duty, EVER.

If you have to report for jury duty, let me just suggest you do it on a day when the judge calls in sick. Counts as jury duty because I showed up, now I don't have to go back for at least 3 years, and I was out of the courthouse before 9:00 AM.

I didn't mind jury dute when I went - employer still needs to pay me (unless self employed - but that can help you get out of it) and I learned a lot.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

In my county, your name is picked and you're on the "call these people for cases" for the entire year (unless, of course, you're selected to be on the jury, then you're done the first trial -- but if not selected, you could be called in 12 times a year or more possibly). But even then, it's possible to be called to be a juror the following year as well if your number is picked by the computer from people registered to vote or with a driver's license.

Comment

In my county, you're called for one day. It used to be a week. But now you get called every six months or so, instead of every two or three years. You can call in or check online the night before. Either you have to report in person, or you have to check in again at noon. If you're not called, you're done.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I was called for a week, but at the end of the first day they said we didn't have to come back. Which was kind of annoying...I don't mind going but I had to arrange to be off the whole week (which, in retail, does not make the boss particularly happy) and then call and say, Hey, I can work the rest of the week now, if you want.

My brother got called after he had moved...he had to prove he no longer lived in the county
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've done jury duty twice so far, once for traffic court and another time for civil court. The traffic court I had to be in every day for a week, it wasn't that great because I'd only be in there for an hour at the most and had to take the entire week off -- couldn't go into work because there wasn't any hours. Oh well, don't have to go back for three years for it.

Jury duty for civil court was the BEST even though at the time the selection was short-notice because of a new system and had only a short amount of time to get everything in order. Went in about 9:30 in the morning on Monday, did roll call and judge said that there was only one case for the week. If the case wasn't resolved, selection for the actual jury would be that day but everyone else was free to go home for the rest of the week. Went on a quick, early break a half hour later, came back and was told to go home and don't come back for five years as the case was resolved.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
            X