Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Canada! I would like to defect!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Then how do you explain Corey Haim?
    Douchebag gene.

Comment

Touche, GK. Touche.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        So I'm confused now. Did my school lie to me or not? It's important to know for firebomb targeting procedures my ease of mind.
        Yes. Your school was full of lying liars. Have fun...uh..."easing your mind".
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I know it's been a few days, but I have to say; Awesome, awesome, and more awesome! Obviously we're going to visit and such before making any commitment, but the more I hear the more I'm intrigued. The fact that Fox News and my father speak ill of you, means you must be doing something right so I think I'll be planning my journey to the north as soon as I can get my finances under control and start saving again.

One of my main gripes about Omaha is a complete lack of mass transit, and GK I've heard you speak well of Vancouver for that before. I do like hockey, though I skate like a drunken elk.

I'm very sorry to hear about your kitteh railroad getting destroyed, please let me know if I can assist in the relief efforts.

So, where am I going on my exploratory journey? Do I need to present myself to the Prime Minister like in vampire? do I get bonus points for being named an honorary Canadian in 2005? Why is there pineapple in my cat's water dish?
          "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
            One of my main gripes about Omaha is a complete lack of mass transit, and GK I've heard you speak well of Vancouver for that before. I do like hockey, though I skate like a drunken elk.

I am amazed that, having lived in a place where both elk and booze flow readily through the streets, I have never seen this before. But I am now going to keep my eyes opening for any tipsy ungulates.

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
              Our hockey rink/arena, GM Place, is connected directly to the Skytrain line. It almost pulls up to the front door. >.>

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                I do like hockey, though I skate like a drunken elk.
                And that is why you WATCH the hockey, my friend!

Quoth dispatch View Post
                Why is there pineapple in my cat's water dish?
                Some say it's the Hawaiian Conspiracy. Pay it no mind.

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                Our hockey rink/arena, GM Place, is connected directly to the Skytrain line. It almost pulls up to the front door.
                That is too damn cool. While Phoenix is not known for its mass transit, they do have a new light rail, which we took to the Diamondbacks game when I was there. While it doesn't pull right up to the stadium, it IS only a block or so away, which is very freakin' cool for Diamondbacks or Suns games (the Suns play right next to the Diamondbacks, pretty much).

Maybe one day they'll have the light rail go all the way out west to where the Cardinals and Coyotes play. Until then, expect to hear more of the Coyotes financial woes, since they built their new arena in an area inhabited mostly by old people and boring families, on the other side of town from most of the vibrant people who would otherwise attend the games, and in a place known for....well, pretty much nothing. (The Cardinals can get away with it since they only have 8 home games a year, not 36. And it's, you know, football.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

I am currently in the process of immigrating to Canada so I can give you an outsiders perspective on the inside.

My only advice as a current immigrant is .... live near the border and get your passport in order.

I have not personally been east, but from what Im told the west coast is a much more laid back than the east coast.

And trust me get a lawyer if your serious, the application is a nightmare (we are in our 7th month with at least another year to go) just for permanent residency. We had had to pay about 6 grand in total (3 grand lawyers fees and the other 3 grand government fees, couriers, medical tests and official documents). The Canadian immigration department does NOT mess around.

Oh and the immigration laws changed a little while back, so ignore most people who tell you to "just marry a Canadian" that does NOT make it easier. In fact ignore anyone who gives you immigration advice (pertaining to immigration laws, not culture or life in Canada of course) if they have not personally immigrated because the laws HAVE changed and most of the stuff they will tell you is outdated. I have spent the last year listening to people tell me "oh you can just do this, or just do that" and they are wrong 99.9% of the time because the laws are different now! PM me if you are serious and I will help you all I can
                  Last edited by Kiwi; 06-18-2009, 04:42 AM.
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Kiwi, as painful as that sounds, trust me when I tell you that that is a walk in the park compared to American immigration laws.

"But Jester, you ARE an American."

Yes. Yes I am. But I WAS engaged to a Brit, my friends. AND I have an Estonian roommate. (And used to have a Czech roommate as well.) Etc., etc.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Kiwi, as painful as that sounds, trust me when I tell you that that is a walk in the park compared to American immigration laws.
                      Actually the changes brought the Canadian immigration laws into alignment with the USA ones....

they are practically identical now, the new laws are practical copies of American immigration laws and categories. Which is a real bitch for me!

if I had done this 3 years ago I would have gone through under the old system and would be done already.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                        Actually the changes brought the Canadian immigration laws into alignment with the USA ones....

they are practically identical now, the new laws are practical copies of American immigration laws and categories.
                        Quoth Kiwi View Post
                        we are in our 7th month with at least another year to go

We had had to pay about 6 grand in total
                        Identical? And yet that is all the time and money you are talking about?

Kiwi, I'm sorry, but having known many immigrants to the U.S. and the utter HELL they have gone through, and having had one of my oldest friends in the world work for Immigration, I can tell you that, based on your numbers, Canada is still a walk in the park compared to the U.S.

No, this is not a pissing contest (I am not trying to make it one), I am just saying immigrating to the U.S. is tougher than most countries and tougher than most people realize unless they've done it or are closely associated with someone who has. My sister moved to the U.K. after marrying her British husband, and she has had it very easy getting residency and then citizenship than he would have had if they had decided to live in the U.S.

Now, back to advice for the would-be Canadians: Rush and Alanis Morissette are gods, Michael Myers is extremely funny, and up there, they have REAL beer!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Once TTO and I are married, we will be inflicting our presence on Canada, hopefully permanently.
                          I think it'll help somewhat that my aunt and uncle are residents there, and my parents are currently living there as well. Whatever hoops we have to jump through, we will do so willingly.
                          I've heard great things about Canada - my family loves it there, and I visited there in 2004 as well - loved it.
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My cousin got married to a lovely young man from Oregan. This was about two years ago. They are still both having a horrible time trying to get visas, green cards, citizenships, etc. What really sucks is that my cousin is supposed to be going to grad school in the states, but the red tape is stopping her.

I'm not even sure they can live together at the moment. I really should talk to them again.
                            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Identical? And yet that is all the time and money you are talking about?
                              sorry Jester, I'll inform my immigration lawyer that apparently he doesn't know what he's talking about

As I said to the people who are thinking about immigrating, if you want to PM me I can direct you to some good websites that can give you some help about the different categories you can immigrate under.

They have a "test" set up to see if you qualify to immigrate under each category on a points system. It helps narrow the route you take down and give you a head start on what to "improve on" before you apply.

The category you decide to use can make a world of difference.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                Now, back to advice for the would-be Canadians: Rush and Alanis MorissetteBarenaked Ladies are gods, Michael MyersKids in the Hall is extremely funny, and up there, they have REAL beer!
                                Fixed that for you.
                                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                                X