Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridiculous crap we make foreigners believe...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Greenday View Post
    We all know Bruce Springsteen (actually, I know exactly which house is his...
    Heh...the song "My Hometown" is actually about my hometown
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'd rather know Bruce Springsteen than the Queen any day.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Toujin View Post
        Here's some from California, where I grew up

*Los Angeles covers the entire state

*The weather is always pleasant

*Earthquakes are like fun carnival rides
        Heh. I currently live in SoCal. I find it's easier just to tell people I live in LA than try to explain that I'm partway between Disneyland and Hollywood. And unless they do damage, I *do* enjoy quakes!! Infinitely preferable than tornadoes.

More:

*That everyone here is blond and pumped full of silicone and collagen (though mostly true)

*That everywhere here is lush and tropical

*that Disneyland must get old if you live here (I want another pass, dangit! )
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Good one; the teeth thing makes me laugh cuz they say the same thing about hillbillies. XD I hate tea; coffee = life.
          I do have bad teeth, and I come from actual hillbillies, who were descended from the English. So there.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Toujin View Post
            Here's some from California, where I grew up

*Los Angeles covers the entire state

*Everyone is either a movie star or surfer

*Everyone is a gazillionaire (kind of true, housing is very expensive)

*The weather is always pleasant

*Earthquakes are like fun carnival rides

As for Virginia, where I live now

*Everyone is either a xenophobic bible thumper or crude white trash

Quoted, because that is what most people believe.

*Everyone from California is exceptionally good-looking
            But that is true. Just look at the few of us on here
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Seattle

It rains 360 days a year.

There is a starbucks on every street corner (oh wait that is true)

We are all grunge with greasy long hair and wearing of plaid shirts.

Everyone works for microsoft.

Nearly everyone one is depressed.

We all wear socks with our birkenstocks. (my brother actually does wear socks with his sandals)
              It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

When I was in NJ, I'd have people believing that I got kicked out of state for not being a Packers fan.

Oh, and that you can't graduate HS without showing proficiency in cow tipping.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Most ridiculous thing foreigners believe about Australians: We drink Fosters. In reality we export that shit and keep the good stuff for ourselves.

Comment

I'd love to reply to this properly, but I'm from West Virginia and listing everything people think about us would just depress me.

Here's a quick rundown... overweight, uneducated, redneck, hillbilly, inbred, bacon-eating, moonshine-drinking, NASCAR-loving white trash. We're all poor, or miners, or poor miners...

Pretty much take every stereotype people have for all the rest of Appalachia, plus about half the ones about the South, and apply them to one state.

And then I once had a teacher tell me about a man she met in another state who was unaware we even existed as a state, and was thoroughly convinced that West Virginia was "somewhere around Raleigh."
                    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
                      Seattle

It rains 360 days a year.
                      When I was living in the San Juan islands, every time I went down to Seattle it was frickin' raining.

Oh, and West Virginia scares the crap out of me, in the same 10 minutes I passed a massive white cross and a car sales yard with the initials KKK.
                      If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        We drink Fosters. In reality we export that shit and keep the good stuff for ourselves.
                        VB? (Although I like a Tooheys (sp?) every once in a while.)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          VB? (Although I like a Tooheys (sp?) every once in a while.)
                          There are so many great Australian beers that are unknown outside Australia. I mostly drink Coopers but that's because I live in South Australia.

Comment

for Japan, some idiotic misconceptions I have literally heard....

- we are a colony of the US

- we are not a democracy

- free speech does not exist (oh yes it bloody well does)

- everyone is corporate drones (look up the practical jokes to see how false this is)

- everything is expensive (I live in central Tokyo and pay less rent than I did in a country town in Australia and the food. for the most part is about the same as anywhere else)

- tsunami are daily events

- Sumo is the major sport (baseball is actually)

- plotting revenge against the allies (what total mf rubbish)

- corporal punishment is allowed in schools

- foreigners are treated like subhuman

- the Emporer is head of state

- the royal family ended after WW2 (I have been at a festival and heard the Emporer speak in English - very articulte and interesting man - a botanist)

- everything can be found in vending machines (almost true)

Comment

(When I lived in Western NY)

It's an easy trip to NYC (250 miles!!!)

We go to Canada all the time (4-5 hours to Toronto. I've been there four times. In my life.)

We accept Canadian currency (partially true; pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters (up to a point, but not in vending machines.)

It's always cold here, and have to dig our way out of the snow frequently.

We can see Niagara Falls
                              Testing
                              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                                There are so many great Australian beers that are unknown outside Australia. I mostly drink Coopers but that's because I live in South Australia.
                                Ditto here. Many people think Budweiser is all we make.

I'll keep my eye out for Coopers, although I gather they are just gearing up internationally.

Comment

Working...
                                X