This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

Geeze! I just came in and I am DRENCHED. I was only outside for a short time straightening up the play yard. I'm thinking it's surely a hundred today (I am pretty tolerant of heat.). Looked it up and 88! 88 is pansy weather, that's NOTHING. So why can't I breathe? Humidy is at like 57; I guess that's high? It gets humid enough my lungs stop working, and they ain't working now. It's like being waterboarded out there.

Been having thunderstorms a lot, and the sky right now is full of big fat heavy clouds. Wish it would either rain or whatever, this heavy air is killing me.

humidity of 57? you must live in a dry area.. 57 is pansy stuff around here.. it gets up in the 80-90 range as it gets warmer, our driest months are mid 30s..
    however if you're not used to humidity like that, yeah it can be ridiculous. In the summer months around here, it can feel like you're walking around in a sauna room all day outside..
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Looked it up and 88! 88 is pansy weather, that's NOTHING. So why can't I breathe? Humidy is at like 57; I guess that's high?
      Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Try 88 degrees and 75% humidity. Or more.

That isn't all that uncommon in Cheeselandialand. We're always good for at least a few days like that.

Or better yet, 100 degrees or more with high high humidity, and nighttime lows of about 85 with similar humidity, like we had in the summer in 1995. Holy fucking shit, that was like living in an oven and it was like that for about a week. We spent the days at the municipal pool, at the movies, or other places with air conditioning, and at night we all slept in my dad's room because that's where the air conditioner was. You couldn't stand to be anyplace else.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We had record-tying heat yesterday. Today's high here was 96.44 - I don't know but I think that is also a record - hit 98 yesterday.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Gettin' jealous. I'm not sure we've even broke 70 over here. and it's been raining like crazy. It feels like april instead of mid-june. I hate this state
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Well, here's the thing, normally, I don't start to genuinely suffer...and I mean lightheadedness and gasping for breath... until it tops 100 and keeps going.

I'm not going to say I don't get hot and sweaty and uncomfortable, but I thought I was going to pass out from oxygen deprivation. For me, 88 is not a terribly high temp. So you're saying 57 isn't terribly high humidity, either. So I'm baffled at my reaction to the weather today. I wasn't even out there long, and I wasn't doing anything terribly active. This is SOUTH CAROLINA and I am used to the weather here, I've lived here nearly all of my life. The weather here is infamous for being brutal.

When you considered I fenced an all day tourney in an cordeuroy-and trigger-fencing kit in 111 degree heat index, picking up toys for 10 minutes in 88 degrees should not have practically caused me to pass out.

You know, we were at a thing a couple weeks ago, and it was raining off and on and in the low 90's, and a friend was saying I kept wheezing everytime I went outside.

Maybe I'm losing my heat tolerance as I age.
            Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-17-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Or better yet, 100 degrees or more with high high humidity, and nighttime lows of about 85 with similar humidity, like we had in the summer in 1995. Holy fucking shit, that was like living in an oven and it was like that for about a week.
              that's pretty much an average day here from late may to august or september.
              My Space

Comment

Current (8:30 am) in Key Weird it is 81F with 88% humidity, and a heat index of 88, according to weather.com. A normal June day. Now, I know I am going to deal with coworkers and customers bitching about the heat. It's not hot. I laugh at anyone that says it is hot. If they say it's HUMID, I am not going to argue with them. But hot? No way. Not even for this town.

By comparison, my home town of Phoenix is currently at 79F, expected to top out at 100F, with 26% humidity. Those numbers to this Zonie say that is unusually cool in Phoenix (seriously). Mid June, only topping out at 100F? Pansy weather. This is normally the time of year where records are in danger of falling. (June 26, 1990: 122F in the shade. And in Phoenix, we don't have any damn shade.)

So as you said, it's not the heat. It's the humidity. But no, 57% doesn't sound all that humid even to this desert boy. So I'm not sure what is going on there.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Here's the weird bit, it was over 100 today. It wasn't that bad. I spent some time outside, and I didnt run into any problems. It was hot, but not unbearable.

Comment

For me, if the temperature is 80, it's hot (unless humidity is under like 40%, then I can go to 90 or so -- drop it to like 0-20% and I'm "comfortable" in up to 110 degrees [go through a LOT of water though]).

Here lately I've been having high humidity days (65-80%) and it almost feels like walking into a cloud.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      We had record-tying heat yesterday. Today's high here was 96.44 - I don't know but I think that is also a record - hit 98 yesterday.
                      You're not kidding about that. Just going out for a few moments in this weather will have you sweating like crazy! I can't wait until the summer is over...
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

It's just now starting to actually feel like summer. I'll take the sweat and the humidity and the stickyness....so much better than Kansas winters. bleh
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Our high today was 91F according to Weatherbug. Right now it's 83F and breezy.

It's not been too bad overall today . . . we've had some wind moving about. Not too hard, but enough to where you feel a good breeze.

It's a little breezy out here on the porch right now. Humidity is at 59% and clear. If there were any isolated thunderstorms that cropped up, they went by me.

And more of the same tomorrow, except the low tomorrow night is expected to be around the mid 60's (70 tonight.)

But there are some days it's hard to be outside longer than a few minutes. It was like that for me Thursday . . . even though it was in the upper 80's, after a few minutes I felt like I was being suffocated, so I stayed in most of the day.

So, RecoveringKinkoid, it's not just you. I'm thinking it may not be so much the humidity but rather the air quality might be why we're having such a hard time breathing some days.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X