Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I dunno how much longer I can do this (whiny, feel free to skip)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dunno how much longer I can do this (whiny, feel free to skip)

As Green Day once sang, "Do you have the time/To listen to me whine?/About nothing and everything all at once?" Well, here goes.

Short version: Today I might have gotten myself into the most trouble I've been in at the swamp.

TL;DR version: I was up in the backroom by myself backstocking school supplies. Seven pallets full of piddly little boxes of pens, pencils, crayons, notebooks, and so forth. It was slow going, I didn't feel I was getting anyplace and nobody had yet come up to help me, and I was thinking I'd have to give up my noon break to get everything finished and I wasn't looking forward to that.

After a little while, somebody came and helped me with the school supplies. And then a carryout was paged over the PA once...twice...thrice...four times?...five? anybody there?...looks like the floor people are just ignoring it again.

After the sixth page, I got frustrated because I figured it was only a matter of time before somebody paged me to do the carryout and I was too damn busy. So I just let it out: "Hello? Anybody down there on the floor? Hello?"

I've got a naturally loud voice and I'm not too good at keeping it down when I'm frustrated.

A short time later the manager on duty paged me. I told me helper "What does she want? This better be important. I'm up to my neck in school supplies here."

I called the number. I heard a phone downstairs ring. Shit. I stepped in it this time.

"Yeah Irv, this is very important. You need to start watching your mouth. I was down on the salesfloor with (corporate suit or some other Vaguely Important Person) and we could hear you plain as day. We're sick of talking to you about your attitude. We will be making a note of this. Understand."

"Oh yeah, yeah, sorry, it won't happen again" Whatever.

This is the second time in a week I've had to be talked to about being professional. Depending on where the manager goes with this with the store manager, this could be the end of it. Or I could be written up. Or I could even wind up on final warning.

In discussing this with my co-workers later, I made another comment that almost certainly would've gotten me fired had the MOD heard it; "They're paging six times for one carryout and MOD gets mad at me for saying something about it and I didn't swear or anything. If that's what gets her upset then I guess we know where her priorities are."

I know in this economy, being fired from a job is about the worst thing that could happen to me right now. And yet I can see so many upsides to it. No more being whipped and whipped along like a racehorse until I break a leg and get shipped off to the glue factory. No more voicing concerns to management and having them blown off. No more unfucking everything everybody else fucks up. No more Numbnuts. No more Numbknockers. No more pain. No more stress. No more misery. No more dragging myself out of bed at 3:30 in the morning. No more waiting on assholes hand and foot.

But the world is an expensive place to live in, so I keep on keeping on. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything rash. I guess I deserved to be hollered at anyway. If anybody says anything further to me about this I'll be as penitent as they want me to be. It's just sickening that a $9 an hour job has to come to this.

Oh well. If you have any well wishes for me they'll be appreciated. If you skipped this whole thing, that's okay too.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I've got lots of well-wishes for you Irv. I do think there's some misplaced priorities if you got a talking-to about that outburst, but the entire floor staff wasn't dressed down for letting it get to that point.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah, that's the bit that always gets to me. They scream at you, but it's totally okay that others were running around doing nothing about the carryout page (in this case). Or running around being... (in what seems to be EVERY OTHER CASE! *breathes*).

*offers hugs* I'm sorry Irv.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

That's one thing about this economy, management sees that there's nowhere to go and pretty much treats people like crap because they know they have to take it just to keep getting their paychecks. I know the feeling.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Awww. Irv. You know you can call me whenever you need to whine and bitch.
          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Aw, poor Irv. If it makes you feel better I've done something similar. Thankfully management didn't hear it......

Comment

I suppose it's just easier to single you out for your outburst than to gather up all the floor staff and tell them to do their work.

It really is unfair the BS people have to put up with just so they can get their tuppence.

We're here for you.
              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

That sucks, Irv. You're the one employee they can count on, so they treat you like crap and take it for granted, while they pussyfoot around all the losers. Maybe they think you're so conscientious that you'd never sue them if they fired you.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

*snugs hard* You ever need to talk Irv, I'm here for ya.

Comment

To be honest, Irv, I have been really worried about you based on some of the venting I've been seeing from you. You have seriously been sounding like you need a break of some kind.

I am so sorry that things at work suck so much for you.
                    I really do feel your pain.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I hope it all works out for you.

I hate giving advice but.. I worked two jobs where my managers were insane. Two seperate jobs and yes I complete feel that they had mental issues.
                      Both managers always seemed to have it out for me. Like you I was dedicated to the job and felt pissed when other co-workers didnt even do their job let alone a good effort.
                      One was a call center, most the other ee's would let their calls roll over t the next person and so on until it rang at my desk. I would fume and complain. I got written up for complaining.

But from both places I learned, it doesnt matter how good you are, how well you work, etc. Some places just dont police the shitty workers and any complaints, comments and such only makes you stand out.

So the advice I have is, do your job well, work toward promotions and try your damn best to ignore the shitty co-workers, even if it means doing their job for them.
                      Mainly, keep you nose clean by not sucking up, your eyes down to what your co-workers are doing, your presence invisible to negative reproach and your mind focused on your duties.
                      Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                        That's one thing about this economy, management sees that there's nowhere to go and pretty much treats people like crap because they know they have to take it just to keep getting their paychecks. I know the feeling.
                        A-freakin-men to this!!!! That's happening at my place too.

to Irv...and Cincinnati isn't an exciting place, but you've got a room if you ever decide to escape for awhile.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                          To be honest, Irv, I have been really worried about you based on some of the venting I've been seeing from you. You have seriously been sounding like you need a break of some kind.

I am so sorry that things at work suck so much for you.
                          I really do feel your pain.
                          But see, I vent here so that I don't back somebody into a corner dropping F-bombs left and right at them.

I will be getting a break in about a month. I'll be on vacation for ten days at the end of July. And then a couple more days in mid-August. But for a while there I thought that might not even happen. I put in the request for the time off, and it turned out one of my co-workers, who has much more seniority than I and an attitude that he's going to take vacation whenever he wants and everybody else should work around him, asked for most of the same time off. I spoke to my manager about that and she told me she couldn't do anything since I already had plane tickets. This would probably fall during a big back to school sale, and time off might become limited or not allowed at all, so the thought of not getting my vacation did cross my mind.

Oh, and the incident from before wasn't the only suck I got today. At 5 past noon I called up my supervisor and asked if we were okay to take break. She said sure, go ahead. I went outside and ended up alone out there, so I finished my soda and had 15 minutes of alone time. Then I came back to work--and got scolded because supervisor decided not to take a break after all and I shouldn't have left when I had been asking for help.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll support ya, Irv, along w/ Chalk 6 of Det. 842 (I'm the lead, I can order them, mwahahha).

Also, I love the Animal Farm reference

Comment

I guess on my next day off I'll have to make a trip down by you, find you and haul you up here to harass Bella at work.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X