This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lando went to doggy heaven

Last Friday, I was given an 8-week old Miniature Dachshund puppy by a former coworker, and Wednesday he started vomiting and showing signs of dehydration and lethargy. I took him to the vet, who vaccinated him and gave him some dewormer, but told me he was suspecting parvo and to 'keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.' By yesterday, I was positive that's what was wrong with my baby, and we buried him this morning. He's resting in a shady spot under the trees beside my old Border Collie, Murray. I know that most of the time, Parvo is a swift and deadly killer, but I still feel like I somehow failed this little guy. I keep remembering what his happy little face looked like when he'd stare up at me and wriggle his whole little body when I first got him, he only weighed 3 1/4 pounds.

The worst part of it is, I see that former coworker nearly every time I go to the store and she always asks about him. How on earth do you tell someone that the puppy they gave to you is dead?

Requiescat in pace, my sweet little guy.

EDIT: Angel picture courtesy of a member of the dogster.com forums
    Last edited by ShinyGreenApple; 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I'm so sorry to hear that.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

*offers hugs* That's awful.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm really soffy for your loss but...

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
        The worst part of it is, I see that former coworker nearly every time I go to the store and she always asks about him. How on earth do you tell someone that the puppy they gave to you is dead?
        If the puppy was given to you last Friday then either

1) She knew damn well the puppy was sick - so she gave it to you to get it out of her hands.

2) She knows nothing about breeding or wasn't paying attention to the puppies. Parvo gives symptoms as early as one week.

Parvo doens't just jump up and hit you in a week or two.

I need to leave work now but I'll post an article about puppy diseases written by Fred Lanting when I get home.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          I'm really soffy for your loss but...

If the puppy was given to you last Friday then either

1) She knew damn well the puppy was sick - so she gave it to you to get it out of her hands.

2) She knows nothing about breeding or wasn't paying attention to the puppies. Parvo gives symptoms as early as one week.

Parvo doens't just jump up and hit you in a week or two.

I need to leave work now but I'll post an article about puppy diseases written by Fred Lanting when I get home.
          I was reading some articles online for the past two days, and I understood you can see symptoms 4-5 days after coming into contact with the virus? I had just assumed that he might have picked up the virus a day or two before I got him, since he started the symptoms on Wednesday. They were full blooded mini Doxies, and it was a litter of five. I think she might have bred her dogs and then didn't realize how expensive it would be to provide the proper care for the puppies, and I think her husband might have been starting to get annoyed with them in the house. He seemed really eager to show them to me so I could take one home. She's an older lady and was always very sweet; we worked together for over two years, so I know she didn't do this to be purposefully malicious.

And I will here and now admit that I did bring home this dog against my own better judgment. Don't think I haven't beaten myself up over that for the past three days, I really and truly have, and it's changed forever the way I look at getting a new pet. I'm still living at home, and I didn't ask my Dad if it was ok to get the puppy. In March, I'd planned to drive to NC to visit my sister and adopt a young dog that a friend of hers had, and he didn't know about that, either. A week before I was supposed to leave, someone pulled out in front of me and I crashed my truck. I think a higher power is trying to tell me something

I've decided that, should I get anymore dogs, I don't think I want one under 12 weeks, if not completely grown so we don't have to deal with this Parvo crap. I will not be accepting anymore 'giveaway' dogs. I will not be taking animals from friends, as it's far too awkward in situations like this where the dog ends up dying. I really should have told her while I was in the store today, but I couldn't bring myself to even approach her. Although I am curious if any of the other pups have died as well.

Comment

Here is his article:

http://pupworld.com/?p=46

Parvo is the second to last section (just above herpes).

You had the puppy less than a week - he should have shon some symptoms when the breeder still had him.

"Full blooded" doesn't mean anything either. I've seen plenty of "full blooded" dogs with tons of defects (temperamental, genetic, and enviromental) - just look at most "AKC winning" German shepherds - those hips will give out by the time they're 8-10 years old.

If you do get another dog - thoroughly wash ANYTHING that this puppy used - Parvo is contageous and can stay active for a while - even while it's dormant / not in a host.

As for 12 weeks - the youngest you can safely adopt puppie sout is 8 weeks (but that can vary a little - our Finish spitz puppies would have been fine at 6.5-7 weeks but we still kept them for at least 8. Parvo can strike any dog at any age - puppies are most susceptible because they're immune system isn't that strong and it mainly strikes between the times that they are off the mothers immune system (though milk) and as they build their own or are immunizied. Plus, puppies as old as 6 months can still be a "high risk" with Parvo.

Our malinois breeder has been doing it for decades - they've never had a parvo case. Same with out German shepherd and collie breeders. We had none with our 8 puppies. Breeders can do some things to help prevent it - keep the puppy area clean (harder than it sounds - trust me!), wash their hands and clothes often especially if they get puppy poop on them. Keep the puppie sclean and don't let them eat poop (again, harder than it sounds - they see mommy doing it so they think they should do it).

Breeders like to get their puppies out at 8-10 weeks though (usually "sold" before then but they don't leave until then) because most puppies leave their cute stage close to that (usually around 12-16 weeks if the breed has one) and they go into the "puppy uglie' stage where they aren't cute anymore but are't a good looking adult - like our pre-teen to early teenage years where we're diproportionate and ugly).

Also, 8-10 weeks can be a critical time in their development with some puppies especially if the breeder doesn't socialize them a lot. 8-10 weeks they're still young enough to be able to easily " go with the flow" and adjust but the longer you wait (until full adulthood which can be 2-3 years with some breeds) raises the chances of social issues. Don't let one bad experience deter you but also let it be a good learning experience. Learn what to look out for when you're looking at your next puppy and whatever you do - do NOT go to a puppy store!!
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Ziggy's litter got parvo when they were very young. Still too young to have even started vaccinations. The daddy dog got it first, and then passed it on to the litter of 6 puppies and the other two dogs. Our friends were very fortunate in that they only lost the daddy dog and one of the pups.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your new friend.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm so sorry. We lost three puppies to Parvo, after the parents were unknowingly exposed. The vet did everything he could, but we lost them anyway. Puppies are just so susceptible and it affects them very quickly.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Oh, no. That's horrible. He was such a sweet looking little guy, too. It really is unfortunate. It's always tough losing a pet.

Also, that's a really lovely memorial picture you made.
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post

Also, that's a really lovely memorial picture you made.
                    Oh, I can't take credit for that. A very nice person on the dogster.com forums made it for me.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      Oh, I can't take credit for that. A very nice person on the dogster.com forums made it for me.
                      Oh, that was very nice of them. Always good to have support when you lose your animal family.
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Indeed. Dogster is a very nice little community, although some of them are a little on the fanatical side about their dogs.

Comment

I don't think I would be welcome there - I'd start a "American" German Shepehrd vs. "Real" German shepherd war.
                          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Im so sorry for your loss It's always so hard losing a pet. Be it an old friend or a brand new companion. It's part of owning pets though, the understanding that our lives are much longer than theirs and we will, eventually, have to part ways. It's unfortunate that your lil guy had so little time in this world, but don't let it discourage you from bringing another friend into your life
                            Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Im so sorry to hear that. Losing an animal even if you only had them for a short time is still very hard.

Just be thankful that you got some time to spend with an adorable baby and that you gave him a nice happy place to live and took care of him the best any of us could.
                              He went to puppy heaven with a glad heart because you loved him
                              Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Working...
                              X