Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And dont give up, there are so many dogs that need a happy home. Go to the pound or human society, They make sure their animals are vaccinated and tested for Parvo and Heart worms.
    Also, maybe look for an older dog. When I adopt I always go in asking for the animal thats been there the longest. The puppies and kittens come and go in days but the older ones few people want but they can be the best animal you will ever find.

Im moving soon, I thought it was going to be an to another apartment but I found out today my uncle might buy a condo and Ill rent from him. He is a huge animal lover so I might be able to get a dog again, finally, since he wont mind.
    Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Too add onto Miyon's comments:

Also look into rescue organizations and (reputible) breeders looking to rehome their dogs as pets - many aren't good enough to be show champions but still make great pets.

Check out locka dogs shows and ask around.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Words fail me. I'm sorry.

Comment

I can't take any more of these threads!

I'm so sorry. He was such a cutie.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            Too add onto Miyon's comments:

Also look into rescue organizations and (reputible) breeders looking to rehome their dogs as pets - many aren't good enough to be show champions but still make great pets.

Check out locka dogs shows and ask around.
            I've been specifically keeping an eye on breed rescues for the last year or so. When my first dog, a Border Collie I named Murray, passed away last year, I just started casually browsing a southeastern BC rescue group. Wonderful, wonderful people, but since they're extremely selective (and rightfully so, don't get me wrong), I don't think they'd let me adopt where I'm living now because my parents make me keep my BC cross outside in a spacious kennel because they think he's too big for the house, and my Dad keeps his Pyrenees/GSD mix in one as well. Rescues will usually only approve an applicant if they know the dog will be kept indoors.

As far as 'housedogs' go, I love Pomeranians as well, but you really don't see a whole lot of those in rescue, as far as I know. They just have such great little personalities and are really easy to get along with; if I could clone my Mom's Pom, I would, LOL. Shih Tzus are starting to grow on me as well, so perhaps I could look into one of those. I watch the local shelter as well, but in this area, it's mostly filled with Labs, Pit Bulls, and various mixes of the two, and I'm just not into those kinds of dogs.
            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Get a Finish Spitz.

Or a schipperke if you want a real challenge.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Oh my, LOL. Define 'real challenge'. Could it be any worse than a Border Collie crossed with some sort of terrier? Strider has taught me that there's a very excellent reason people don't cross those two breeds on purpose. Or worse than a Shih Tzu that went through her first 5 1/2 years of life with very bad habits and was never taught boundaries? (Seriously, this dog drew blood on three of us the first few months we had her!)

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                  Oh my, LOL. Define 'real challenge'. Could it be any worse than a Border Collie crossed with some sort of terrier? Strider has taught me that there's a very excellent reason people don't cross those two breeds on purpose. Or worse than a Shih Tzu that went through her first 5 1/2 years of life with very bad habits and was never taught boundaries? (Seriously, this dog drew blood on three of us the first few months we had her!)
                  That all depends - does the dog look more like the border collie or the terrier?

Schipps are mainly mini-Belgian shepherds (Groenedaels (sheepdogs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian...rd_Groenendael ) to be exact). Very small - usually around 5 pounds but extremely intelligent (probably the most intelligent "toy" breed). Border colliesa re traditionally considered the most intelligent breed but that's mainly because of exposure, many of the herding breeds are extremely intelligent (Kiri officially has problem solving skills which puts her at #2 or #3 for the most intelligent dog we've ever had in our home - and she WILL definitely pass Suki leaving only Mango at the top, for now).

Finish Spitz are nice - sweet and affectionate but not up your rear all the time (like many herding dogs are). They're independent but still like their "pack" structure. People think they are a fox and they do look very nice. They can have some energy but unless you have an exception (like Dazy was - she sould do schutzhund), most of the will be find with a few minutes of playing and they're done. They can be very bright, but traditionally won't be as intelligent as herding dogs (like your border collie).
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    That all depends - does the dog look more like the border collie or the terrier?
                    This is my Strider -

I've had BC aficionados and breeders alike comment on his appearance and they have all been genuinely surprised when I tell them he's mixed. I never saw his father, but his mother was a terrier, and I want to say she was a Silky, but I only saw her in a photo. She looked like an overlarge Benji, to describe her best. But the people mentioned that their neighbors had a male BC, so it's pretty obvious what happened

He has the unending energy of a Border, and he will chase after our sheep and not stop until they're in the desired corner or pen, and we never trained him to do this. He just hates to see them out of place. But mostly he just loves to wander and explore, and if he spots a squirrel you'll be hard put to stop him from bounding after it. He doesn't really act quite as 'dignified' as most BCs do. I guess Murray, my first BC and a purebred was an odd one. He was always extremely laid back and never expended more energy that he saw necessary, and wanted nothing to do with sheep. Except for the fact he'd charge after our mare when she was stretching the fence out, he was downright lazy.

Comment

I don't think he has any of his mother's genes in him. As for the herding - it's instinct. Our collie hasn't had ANY working (other than show obedience) in at least 15 generation. We took him for an HIC trial (Herding Instinct Cetrification). The evaluator accused us of bringing in a fully trained dog. For the trial, the dog has to attempt to herd (attempt to) for at least 5 minutes during a 10 minute period - his test was done in 5 minutes - he was like a pro out there.

I think AKC allows mixed breeds to compete for working titles - you may want to consider that (if you and he enjoy it) especially in herding.

Herding is nothing more than a hunter-prey game between the dog and the sheep (but the dog knows not to attack the sheep). He's doing the same thing with squirrels.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

*many hugs*
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                        X