This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the new members of my family....! :D

So, Ive wanted a Guinea Pig for years now. Finally my husband broke down and him and my MIL chipped in and got me one with all the accessories and etc. Picture 1 is Squiggy (black and white)

As I read up on guinea pigs however, I realized that Squiggy needed a playmate, as they thrive better since they are such social little animals. So, yesterday I got another one. Picture 2 is Spazz.

Unfortunately, since Squiggy was there first, shes not letting Spazz into the little house and will immediately head butt Spazz out if she dares to enter. They also like to push each other all around the cage and kick all the bedding to the floor. The girl at the petshop said theyre allowed to fight as long as they dont draw blood. One has to establish dominance, but since the ones I have are approximately the same age, its harder to do so. Picture 3 is them fighting on the ramp. lol.

Right now, Squiggs is in the house and Spazz is in the corner of the cage next to the house. I want them to be friends!!

Anyone have any advice?
    Attached Files

Awww, guinea pigs! They look adorable. I really love Abyssinians - the whirls are so cute.

I've raised 7 now, including 3 newborns, so if you ever have questions you're free to mail me.

For future reference... just plopping a newcomer into the cage isn't the best way to introduce them. The guinea pig you've had for a little longer probably feels nervous and threatened right now. You're supposed to introduce them in neutral territory. Still, there's no way to undo that now. If you can afford to, I suggest getting a second sort of hut or enclosure for the other guinea so that they feel like they each have their own space in the cage rather than needing to fight over it. As long as they're not drawing blood, they should be fine. They need to decide who's dominant in the cage pecking order, and once that's settled, they should calm down for a while. (If they're very young right now, they might start fighting again around adolescence. The submissive pig will sometimes challenge the dominant pig again.)

Good luck!

Oh, and because I can't resist... here's one of my first guinea pigs, Pigzilla, with her babies the morning they were born. They were tiny...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snuggle Pigs.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2029304

Comment

I did introduce them in neutral territory...my bathtub. lol. That way it was scent free and they could used to each other for a little while. I cleaned the cage out then put them in it after a little while and then Squiggy went territorial. She actually just now threw a little ball at Spazz's face. Im sure she had no idea what she was doing, but it looked so purposeful I had to laugh. Theyre not fighting, Squiggy just wont let Spazz in the hut.

And your pic is freakin cute!!

Comment

Working...
      X