X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official!

I'm a college student!

Today, I went to class registration, computer registration, welcoming thing. Three days a week, I have one class a day. The other two, I have four classes, but two are close together, then time, then two more close together. I made sure it equals 15 credits, as they advised me to do.

I'm going to join the Track and Field team, mainly as shot putter, but I will dabble in javelin.

I even have my student id, put on a lanyard.

I feel so great!

Im in ur college eetin ramen and playin beer pong!

The second part, not really. I don't like beer.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Way to go McGoddess!!!
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Epic Win and Hoorayness

Hooray for McGoddess!

Going to college is huge and is the most fun you will have in your life!

A word of advice from someone who was an epic screwup in his first year and a half of college...DO YOUR READING! (and not just the night before...have it done a few days in advance). Professors in college aren't going to coddle you and feel sorry for you (not that its a problem for you...you are going to be just fine) and kick some serious butt for those who don't give a shit and act like special snowflakes. After week two, your professors may as well give up and just let you teach the courses!

Best of luck with the college awesomeness!
      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Cooooooooongrats!!

Its lots o' fun. Just keep ur nose in them books, but party when you can. Itll fly by.

Whats ur major?

Comment

Congratulations on becoming a college student. Some helpful advice from peer to peer:

- SteverinoNY is right, definitely do the readings; even take notes, so you can participate in class.
          - Talk to your professors during their office hours. The shock of actually seeing a student who isn't failing could easily net you at least a B-
          - Always ask for help when necessary.
          - Some of your classmates will be SCs & EWs.
          - Pick a major in a field you like.
          - I've found that visualization helps in throwing (4 years of high school shot put and discus). Imagine the shot put as a cannon ball, the javelin as a spear and the field full of SCs and EWs.
          - Your RA is there to help you.
          - Dorm programs and university functions can be fun.
          - Don't over-exert yourself.
          - Above all else, have fun getting an education.
          "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Woo-hoo!

I'm a TA, currently, one of these days I'll finally get to be a professor. Anyway, PM me with any questions you may have. The others are right: Your professor (or TA) is there to help you and please, do use the office hours...but set an appointment first. I know during my office hours I may step out to get something from the snack shop or go to the ladies room or chat in a friend's office just down the hall.

Ease yourself into social clubs, groups, etc. They put a lot of pressure on Freshmen to join, particularly those that survive on dues. If you're religious, many denominations have some kind of college group or club or association or something - and even if you're not, a lot of those groups offer free or really cheap lunches sometimes! Something to keep your eyes peeled for.

Use the stuff your dues pay for. Health clinic, gym, cafeteria, milk that crap for all it's worth! Illnesses spread through dormitories like the Black Death. If you don't take a mulit-vitamin, I'd recommend it. Keep your immune system up, even if you're not living in a dorm. If you do, some places (like my current school) require a meningitis vaccine. I'd recommend it.

Obviously, don't go out drinking and partying at all hours of the night every night, etc. etc. But then, you wouldn't do that, soooo....yeah. Do your homework, ask questions, don't sleep or text during class, and your professor will love you. Well, at least I would love you. Not all tenured professors are lazy. However, many are crotchedy and rather blunt, because they're basically unfireable.

Ah, and speaking of faculty, some terms for different types:
            TA - Teaching Assistant, usually a graduate student, sometimes a post-grad. Can be either a Master's or Ph.D. student in the field that class is in.
            Lecturer - a non-tenured teacher, usually only teaches 1-2 classes/semester.
            Adjunct Professor - more or less the same as a lecturer, only they've been granted the title of 'Professor' and it's more likely that they have their own office
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Congratulations. I hope you have a great experience.
              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Btw, this is how you REALLY make Ramens college style (or if you're just piss poor like me).

Take your Ramen packet. Smash it all up until it's nothing but little chunks inside. Empty them into a bowl. Fill it about halfway up with water. Nuke it for 30-60 seconds, or until your own desired tenderness or crispness. Then mix and stir in flavor.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Thank you all for the advice!

I'm majoring in English Education. I know I'm going to join Track and Field, doing shot put and maybe some javelin.

I am so excited!
                  "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

Congrats!!

My little nuggets of college knowledge:

1. You can reheat ANYTHING in a hotpot with a little ingenuity. I managed to reheat mashed potatoes in one once. Just put whatever it is in a plastic bag, and make sure it doesn't melt against the hot plate at the bottom of the pot.

2. Sleep sometimes. It really does help your concentration.

3. Find a totally crazy club to join. I was in the Star Wars Club (trivia champ AND lightsaber-duelling champ, I might add!) for several years, and it was a great way to blow off steam from schoolwork.
                    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

SteverinoNY is right about the reading.

Also take all of the proficiency tests that are offered--you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy some of them are (full disclosure: I tested out of a full-time semister back in the '80's).

I never bought the books 'til I saw the course syllabus. As often as not it was cost-effective to photocopy that one or two chapters that were actually used (yes, even with new books).

Keep your activities to a bare minimum until you know what kind of time and energy your homework will take up.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

One thing, Joi - in every dorm that I've lived in or heard of, hot plates, toasters, etc. are banned because they're fire hazards.
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

In my dorm hall, there is a kitchen on every floor. We are one of the two who get that. The other halls get one kitchen. I feel special! =P

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                            One thing, Joi - in every dorm that I've lived in or heard of, hot plates, toasters, etc. are banned because they're fire hazards.
                            An open heat source, yes. But the dorms I were in did allow hotpots, because the heat source wasn't exposed. It's always worth checking into.
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I was always known as the girl with the contraband microwave. It made for a lot of fun reheating parties in my room.

About activities- It's always easier to reign back on activities when you're busy, then to find them when you're not. Sign up for the mailing lists, and then once you're in figure out what works best for your schedule.
                              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X