Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So honestly how long before you'd eat dog food?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    And I'm wanting to know where the hell you keep it all! JL, you could have given lessons to the people on "Jericho"!
    Shelves Shelves designed for foodservice applications that is.
    And in air-tight containers and such for the dry stuff (with flour in the freezer).

Basically my kitchen looks like a restaurant pantry

Comment

You know after seeing the responses so far it's kinda funny how the commercial is talking how you need to have a 3 day supply of food, and in 3 days they've got actors talking about eating dog food, but seems like everyone could survive at least a week. Before having issues.
      "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Well, I know why I stockpile food in our house .... mrDrone's mom grew up on a small farm in Missouri that didnt get electricity until the 60s. When you grow up like that you tend to be ahhhh frugal is a good descriptions. When you don't know how good your harvest is, and how much money you will have to see you through the winter, you stockpile food and dry goods [toilet paper and cleaning supplies] when money is there for when money isnt there.

Then add to it my mom growing up on a small farm during the depression, even though she married into money she still kept her frugal ways.

Add to it some dietary allergies that prevent me from doing most commercial convenience foods, and a love of baking and cooking, I tend to prefer to keep the basic ingredients around, make most of my food from the raw materials and like to eat no matter what the environment does to me. Being a medievalist, I have worked on my medieval survival skills so I literally could get dropped back into the bronze or iron age and manage a household. Unfortunately, being handicapped now makes it more difficult but within certain limits I can cope with disaster fairly well. I have to make sure that the wood billets for my stove are small enough that i can handle them one handed, and I can stand without crutches for short periods of time, so I can actually prep food for cooking.

I think there are a lot of people around who do have the habit of stocking up on foods and durable goods when they have money for when they don't. We are all pretty much 'working stiffs' and not rich on this list. We make do when we have to.
        Last edited by AccountingDrone; 06-26-2009, 12:46 PM. Reason: can't spell for shit
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

If it came to it, though, I'd probably try to shift out to the swamp or marsh. More stuff to eat. I could last a long time in a swamp or salt marsh. It's like a grocery store out there.

Comment

Once I get my freezer(s) in the house and packed... between the 3 of us (myself, boyfriend and friend) I'd say... 2-3 months. With the pantry items it should be another month.

Are you gearing up for the Zombie Apocalypse too? It's supposed to be at the end of 2010 (that's when the Myan Caldendar ends, but I have all ideas we're going to be screwed in the end and it comes either sooner or later. Just to fuck with us.)
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Oh, heck yeah. I'm ready for the inevitable ZA.

And down here in the south, a zombie will rot a lot faster, expecially out in the wetlands, where I will be.

Bring it, deaders.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Are you gearing up for the Zombie Apocalypse too? It's supposed to be at the end of 2010 (that's when the Myan Caldendar ends, but I have all ideas we're going to be screwed in the end and it comes either sooner or later. Just to fuck with us.)
                It's said it's December 21, 2012 for the Myan calender "end" (repeats). But zombies? I know a guy who's loaded with weapons and ammo - enough for a small militia group (I wish I was joking... but if the zombies come - guess where I'd be visiting?)

Of course that's right after running them over with the car when they're hanging around the bait shop, on the stopover at the shooting range - on the way to the "militia stocking man's" house, and right before the looting of the Wal-Mart Distribution center and food-service places (that bottle/distribute things such as "Vlassic pickels" and such)... Wait... that sounds too planned out.... you heard nothing! (but yes, these places do exist in my area, last I knew, who knows here lately with cutbacks and such [some were being built within the last few years])

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
                  It's said it's December 21, 2012 for the Myan calender "end" (repeats).
                  All calendars repeat. Tuesday comes around once a week, October once a year. 2012 will just take a bit longer.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    All calendars repeat. Tuesday comes around once a week, October once a year. 2012 will just take a bit longer.
                    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. The fact that it ends on the winter solstice is a big clue that it's just resetting.

Hell, ours resets once every 365/6 days!
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                      Yep, theirs just takes longer -- I've just seen a lot of people seeing that their calendar "ends" (not realizing it repeats), and see "big changes" and "end" and think "everything will end!" - not "life as we know it may be changed".

Although I still like being prepared.... you never know when an earthquake will hit, volcano will erupt, etc.

Comment

Yep, theirs just takes longer -- I've just seen a lot of people seeing that their calendar "ends" (not realizing it repeats), and see "big changes" and "end" and think "everything will end!" - not "life as we know it may be changed".
                        Hate to break it to them, but "life as we know it" changes from second to second.

Although I still like being prepared.... you never know when an earthquake will hit, volcano will erupt, etc.
                        We get tremors here from time to time, we are on the Rio Grande Rift afterall, but it's been nothing to worry about.

I tell ya though, if any our dormant volcanoes start smoking....
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Hate to break it to them, but "life as we know it" changes from second to second.
                          It's meant more as "8.0+ earthquake hits (like Midwest USA, or other 'critical' location) "asteroid hits planet", volcano erupts (a "big" one where causes problems for many months/years) -- life as we know it meaning something like no more electricity, collapse of government, large numbers of starving homeless, loss of 50%+ of human life on the planet... or something else big. Something where everything we know and are used to is gone or might as well be junked after the event.

Basically, things where if you're not stocked up on food -- you start to loot and steal a few days later. If you don't know what to eat in the wild -- you're pretty much going to be screwed in the long term.

That's what they were meaning -- not like "oh if you use calculation X, we can predict with a higher certainty when a tornado will hit!" type of things.
                          Last edited by JLRodgers; 06-28-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to market bachelor chow.

Eat a bowl a day (serving size depending on height/weight/build) all the protiens, minerals, vitamins, etc you need.

Yup yup, gonna go do all my grocery shopping for the month by buying a 100lb bag of kibble!
                            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X