This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Overheating

I suppose this place is for computer help mostly, but perhaps there's some car people reading anyway...

2002 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 engine. Runs pretty good, but the other day I had parked it on an incline (nose up) and had to do some stuff, after about 10 minutes I come back and I see the "Check Gauges" light is on. That usually comes on when its almost out of gas, so I look, gas is good, but the temp gauge is up to 260 (max)!!!!! So I shut the car off for a minute, and figured I'd see how it ran, and upon taking off the temperature came back to normal in less than a minute. It hasn't overheated since.

Could that have happened just because of the way it was parked? I know next to nothing about cars, but maybe the water wasn't circulating properly or something.

Moved to off topic - more car people frequent here.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm no car fanaticor mechanic but if it just happened once and didn't happen again, maybe it was just a fluke? Something might have been stuck and turning the car off then back on fixed it?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

If it hasn't happened since, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Get your radiator checked if you want. I have a 2.4L 2000 Cavalier. Temp rises to about 195 (I think) and stops there. But yea, you could just be low on coolant.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Make sure the car is as cold s possible (like you haven't used the car in a few hours) before opening the radiator, we don't need you being rushed to the hospital.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            Make sure the car is as cold s possible (like you haven't used the car in a few hours) before opening the radiator, we don't need you being rushed to the hospital.
            Quoted because it's good advice.

As for the problem you're having, DrFaroohk, if it hasn't happened since, I would say not to worry about it for now.

Like everyone else is suggesting, check your coolant level to make sure it's full. Another thing that you could do if it happens again is check to see if your coolant is circulating. To do that, you need to:
            • Have your car warmed up to temperature.
            • Open the hood and locate the hose coming out of the top of your radiator. It'll be a black rubber hose about 2 inches thick, and it'll lead towards the emgine.
            • If you have an infrared thermometer, measure the temperature of the hose. If the temp is in the 175-200F range, coolant is flowing. If it's lower, coolant is not flowing, and it's very likely that you need a new thermostat. (About $20, plus the cost of any extra coolant you might need.)
            • If you don't have an infrared thermometer, be very careful doing it this way. Carefully touch the upper radiator hose. If it's lukewarm or warm, then your coolant is likely not flowing. If it's OMGWTFBBQBURNING!!!, then your coolant is flowing normally. Oh, and let go of the hose! Sorry if it burns you.
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
            X