This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a "Falling Down" moment.

First, if you haven't seen the movie Falling Down (1993 movie starring Michael Douglass), I highly recommend renting it this weekend - it's a great film.

OK, so my wife and I went to the Outback the other night and I got their "Outback Special and shrimp" special dinner - 6oz "Outback Special" steak and "shrimp" (the picture shows 6 shrimp and a steak HUGE in comparison to it plus a full yloaded baked potato.

OK, I understand - advertising, advertising, etc..

What did I get?

A 6oz steak (but a lot smaller than what's in the picture - I"m willing to bet the picture had a 10-12 oz steak), a baked potato with a little butter on it, a very small amount of sour cream and ONE piece of shredded cheese (seriously, who the hell puts ONE PIECE of shredded cheese on a baked potato?) and only 3 shrimp. Now, having spent YEARS running a seafood department I can usually tell the "size" of the shrimp just by looking at them. Of course, in the picture were 6 26-30 (in a pound - cooked weight) shrimp but the ones I got, let's say they would be small 30-45 (in a pound - cooked weight) shrimp, maybe even 45-60's.

No, I didn't blame our waitress, she was very nice (and still got >20% tip). I'm not sure how to take it, we ate our meals (my wife got the lobster tails) and left.

I guess it was jut a "Falling Down" moment.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Depends on your day and plans. I'd be tempted to point out the difference, walk out, and get dinner somewhere else. But if that inconveniences you or your partner, it's not always a good option.

Did you say anything? Telling the management you were unhappy even though you ate the meal and didn't want comping or something, would at least allow them to potentially rectify the problem for future visits.

Comment

No, I didn't talk to the management because I know they would say "well, the pictures can vary from what you actually get". When was the last time you got a Whopper that looked like the picture?

He also would have writen me down as a freak for knowing, just by sight, the size of the shrimp.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Everybody expects the pictures of the food to look so much nicer. But that whopper example? When you buy one it has a piece of lettuce, just like the image, it has a slice of cheese, just like the image. Oh they're a bit more buried in the burger but they're there.

Just like six shrimp should have been, and the potato toppings. The size of the steak, you can put down to imagery.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
          Everybody expects the pictures of the food to look so much nicer. But that whopper example? When you buy one it has a piece of lettuce, just like the image, it has a slice of cheese, just like the image.
          Actually, the picture shows a piece of green-leaf lettuce, but you get shredded iceberg. That bugs me.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I am going to go a different route on this and say that perhaps the Outback you went to just flat out sucks. Why? Well, we have a pretty killer one here in KW, and I have only been unhappy with my meal there once in ten years. They serve perfectly cooked steaks, their baked potatoes are a highlight (and come LOADED), and I have never once felt cheated or conned dining there.

Shit, might just have to round up Mr. Anti-Social and head out to dinner there sometime this week....we haven't been in a while!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X