Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The crap that goes on in the "professional" dog world.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crap that goes on in the "professional" dog world.

A couple of months ago I wrote an article about how AKC shows aren't about "the dog" any more (feel free to read it here)

The sad thing is that it isn't just limited to the AKC show ring. Let's talk about the schutzhund world.

First of all, the politics in the schutzhund world will make the AKC shows look like a "model UN" from a local elementary school. (The good news is that not all clubs are as political - if political at all).

We know a local "trainer" (and I'll use the term loosely). First, he does boarding training (people leave their dog at his place for months to be trained). He had a client drop of their female dog and pay him thousands of dollars to train it.

First, he used the female to breed to one of his dogs (deliberate mixed breed) without the owners permission or knowledge but is also working with a well known (world wide) schutzhund trainer to falsify the papers to claim that the dogs are purebred. Even though the breeds are very similar, they are NOT the same breed.

Now, do you think he did any training on the dog while she was in his care and pregnant / nursing?

He also has quite the ego - he claims that no other trainer is as good as he is and all the others will "mess up" (well, he uses another 4 letter word that rhymes with truck). One of his students came back from a seminar (a good one) and was working his dog. The dog was performing great - better than it ever had and it went around the blind and did a great hold and bark. What did this trainer do? He punched the dog on the nose (very hard) and the dog went running back to the owner (the owner didn't see it since he was still on the other side of the blind trying to catch up). And of course, the trainer yells at the guy that the seminar "f-ed up his dog" and that he would require months of work to "fix it".

Yeah, right.

I've also seen the bad and good. The club my wife used to be a member of hosted the schutzhund nationals a few years ago. We saw one person who treated his dogs like crap - he flanked one of his dogs (if your dog is paying attention to something he shouldn't or something like that, sometimes you can grab their flank (the are of "webbed' skin on front of their hind legs) - it's uncomfortable and instantly grabs their attention (and you can pull away before they can get their mouth near you). Well, this guy flanked his dog tot the point that the flank was over the center of his back and the dog was in pain, plus he held it there for several sections (corrections with dogs should be quick and "done with".

But - we've seen the good, too. We had one person whose dog just wan't himself. No, didn't act like he was in pain, discomfort, or otherwise sick, just not himself. We gave him the number to our vet (IMO one of the best in Florida) and he called them and RUSHED his dog there - over a 90 minute drive from where we were. Turns out the dog wasn't sick or anything - just a little burned out (so he gave the dog the two days before the trial "off" - no working, just playing and "lounging around". So, there are good people in the sport, just too much crap IMO.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I couldn't do what you do Draggar. Not only would that guy flanking his dog send me into a rage (I love dogs) but I'd probably (and I'm openly admitting this!) steal the dog to prevent any more harm.

I know it's a way to get the dogs attention but that guy sounds like he's gone way too far. Oh, how is Kari (is that her name?) doing anyways?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Kiri is doing wonderfully (and so are her puppies accoridng to their owners (and co-owner). We're actually boarding Artemis next week for her co-owner.

As for the rage - don't forget - this is the schutzhund nationals - the best trained protection dogs in the US. Not only approching the person could get me in trouble with the dog (depends on how the person sees it) - trying to steal it would not only get you biten but in big trouble.

If it was on video we would have reported him to USA (United Schutzhund Assoc) and DVG (Deutscher Verband der Gebrauchshundsportvereine) - the two main schutzhund clubs in the USA.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Hopefully there is a video of it floating around somewhere then.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

The crowd was small and the person who was supposed to take videos hadn't shown up, plus it was only a practice and he wasoff to the side.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I stopped watching AKC shows when they started awarding "best in show" to small dogs "because they looked cute sitting inside the cup"-yes I heard one of the judges say "I hope she makes BIS because last year we had a small dog win and it looked soooo adorable inside the cup"

I was totally nauseated.

And for the record, my husband wants a German Shepard, or a rottweiler, I told him we'd have to save up as we were not getting one from an American breeder- most of them have damaged the breeds too much-I've seen a german rottweiler-they're HUGE
            Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 06-28-2009, 04:44 PM.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I gave up many. many years ago trying to choose my pets. I wind up with much better animals when they choose me!

As a young person I adored large breed dogs--Dobies and Rotties in particular. As I get older and less able to get around, I've learned to appreciate the merits of small dogs. Right now, I have an Australian Shepherd mix, a Rat Terrier (my icon) a Dachshund mix, and 3 Pomeranians. The first 3 are rescues, the Poms are fosters that I'm pretty sure sill never leave my home. The smallest, and youngest Pom, Ewok, came to the here with 2 major strikes against him--he's an ankle biter, and he has long hair. Now, I can't imagine being without him. He weighs barely 5 pounds, and I have to shave his butt every couple of weeks because of dingleberries, but he has really changed my attitude about small dogs.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
              X