This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargate SG-1

I don't know why I didn't get into this series when it was on. I've been watching the DVDs (well, I've done the first two discs of season one) and it's very interesting.

Why do I tend to not be interested in series like these when they are on?

(And yes, I plan on watching Atlantis when this season is done).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Hulu.com has a lot of the series up. Well, I think maybe the first two season of SG-1, at least.

I have been a fan of Stargate since the show first aired on Showtime.

But sometimes I am in the same boat as you. I got into shows like Monk and House, MD only after several seasons of them being on air. It's annoying, isn't it?

Comment

I'm quite the opposite, I've watched it ever since it came on, I've watched, well, every episode several times, I have all the Series and the two movies on DVD.
      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I do the same thing: I got into Babylon 5, Buffy, Angel, Bones, Stargate SG-1, and Doctor Who, all after they had been going for a long time and I had to play catch-up.

SG-1 I liked a lot, but felt like it jumped the shark after the third season. They just tend to fall into the "no, wait, this season's bad guy is REALLY the worst thing ever! Seriously!" I dislike that (one reason why I enjoyed B5 so much). But it's still fun, the characters are interesting, etc. My friends were mostly into Daniel, but it's Jack all the way for me!
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          I don't know why I didn't get into this series when it was on. I've been watching the DVDs (well, I've done the first two discs of season one) and it's very interesting.

Why do I tend to not be interested in series like these when they are on?

(And yes, I plan on watching Atlantis when this season is done).

I totally get that. I'm just now catching up on Star Trek DS9, Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica AND Supernatural. Never watched them when they were first run - now I'm completely addicted.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            I do the same thing: I got into Babylon 5, Buffy, Angel, Bones, Stargate SG-1, and Doctor Who, all after they had been going for a long time and I had to play catch-up.

SG-1 I liked a lot, but felt like it jumped the shark after the third season. They just tend to fall into the "no, wait, this season's bad guy is REALLY the worst thing ever! Seriously!" I dislike that (one reason why I enjoyed B5 so much). But it's still fun, the characters are interesting, etc. My friends were mostly into Daniel, but it's Jack all the way for me!
            Yeah it was kinda annoying that it went "Oh No, Goa'uld" then "Oh No, Replicators...OH NO ORI!"

But, I guess that's what it took to keep the series going.

My favourite Bad Guy was Ba'al (Cliff Simon is awesome)

Vala was a great addition to the show too.
            200 is a fantastic episode, but Unending is my absoloute favourite, indeed.

B5 was good because the build up to the conflict with the Shadows was a slow build up and was mostly a backdrop for the character interactions.

Comment

Quoth morwynskya View Post
              I'm just now catching up on Star Trek DS9, Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica AND Supernatural. Never watched them when they were first run - now I'm completely addicted.
              My husband and I are also watching Battlestar Galactica and Supernatural. BG is a really great show, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I don't even like scif-fi, but this show is so well written it doesn't matter.

I'm not so sure that I like Supernatural. The acting is a bit weak and the writing a bit trite. But it has some entertaining bits.

The best part about getting into shows on DVDs is that you can watch them on your own schedule. No season-end cliffhangers for me! I just pop in the next disc and keep going.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                My husband and I are also watching Battlestar Galactica and Supernatural. BG is a really great show, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I don't even like scif-fi, but this show is so well written it doesn't matter.
                Well, I like BSG a whole bunch too, but I've often heard critics cite that BSG is a submarine drama in the guise of a space opera. That might be part of why you like it.

And I'm fairly certain my feelings about SG-1 are known. But to speak to the escalating bad guys, I feel that if you do some deep analysis, you find an interesting trend. In the first few seasons, the SGC is basically stumbling around in the galaxy, usually trying to fix what they've fucked up. Basically lucking out in not meeting total disaster. It's not until after the third season that they start being proactive on a better scale. Rather than stumbling across problems, they know what the problems are, and go to solve them.

However, I will fully admit to the Ori saga being BS. It was fully a case of "crap, we got two more seasons, but we just took out all the bad guys. We need someone tougher, so difficulties in taking them on don't seem like a joke."
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

SG-1 is an awesome show, I think the series went down hill after it went to Sci-Fi it was so much better on Showtime. I just started buying the seasons on Dvd. Wal-mart has the first 6 seasons for 14.96 each.

Comment

Husband started watching it and I have been watching it here and there; I haven't seen nearly all the episodes but watch it if he is watching it and I happen to be home. We're up to season 7. General Hammond is my favorite. But we both have a crush on Major Carter too. I am rather liking Anubis right now, and am rather glad Daniel Jackson is mostly gone (he annoyed me).

(Since someone mentioned BSG, we saw an episode where the guy who plays the Chief was a Jaffa! These sf actors seem to hop around from sf show to sf show)
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Don't start watching Atlantis until you get through season 7 of SG-1 or it won't make sense.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Ori. They were awesome bad guys. The reason it seems forced is because the show's producers didn't know that Sci-Fi was going to renew the series until they'd already committed thelmselves to the storyline that ended season 8. Even then, they had planned to rename the show "Stargate Command" and take it in another direction.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                        Hulu.com has a lot of the series up. Well, I think maybe the first two season of SG-1, at least.
                        I have the entire series on by Blockbuster list. I have them thrown in between movies and other shows.

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                        I'm quite the opposite, I've watched it ever since it came on, I've watched, well, every episode several times, I have all the Series and the two movies on DVD.
                        Only two movies? My wife and I are big fans of the original Stargate Movie (Kurt Russell), Continuum was good but I haven't seen the Arc of Truth yet. Atlantis: Rising was an interesting episode, too.

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post

So I only have two more full seasons of good episodes? I caught some good ones while they were on Sci-Fi (repeats and newer ones). We'll see how it goes.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        Don't start watching Atlantis until you get through season 7 of SG-1 or it won't make sense.
                        I wasn't going to until SG-1 was done. But I have seen the first episode (Rising). I also caught some of the episodes on TV when they were on.
                        Last edited by draggar; 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Yeah, I haven't got the original movie on DVD.

Ark of Truth is pretty decent, it pretty much wraps up the Ori arc, plus finally a particular ascended being gets to do something.

I wish the Vala/Adria relationship could have been expanded a bit more though.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                            But sometimes I am in the same boat as you. I got into shows like Monk and House, MD only after several seasons of them being on air. It's annoying, isn't it?
                            I'm the same way, but in my case, it's because I've tended to be working the nights the shows were on, so I had to miss them. Now, I have a DVR and don't have to, and my NetFlix account is allowing me to catch up.

I've been introduced to a few other series' that I've started to like. I'm just starting House MD (Season 1, disk 3 tonight) and have gotten kind of hooked on NCIS.

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            I have all the Series and the two movies on DVD.
                            I have all of them except Continuum. For some reason, it's missing from my shelf, even though I've bought and watched it. I guess I'll have to pick up another copy...

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            My favourite Bad Guy was Ba'al (Cliff Simon is awesome)
                            Ba'al was the best enemy they had. He even pulled stuff that SG1 did in a few shows. It made a nice counterpoint to their activities.

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            The best part about getting into shows on DVDs is that you can watch them on your own schedule. No season-end cliffhangers for me! I just pop in the next disc and keep going.
                            Unless you get to the end of one season, watch the cliffhanger, and have to wait 2 days for the next disk to come in. THEN IT'S BROKEN AND YOU CAN'T WATCH IT!!!! And then they send you the second disk of the next season, and you have to wait on it until the first disk comes in so you can watch the first one beforehand, and .......

Luckily that only happened once.

Eric the Grey
                            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                              B5 was good because the build up to the conflict with the Shadows was a slow build up and was mostly a backdrop for the character interactions.
                              That's because JMS (the executive producer and the guy who came up with and pretty much wrote the show) pretty much had the entire series fleshed out before the episodes were even written. That's why it's so difficult to find the differences in episodes with different directors. It also allowed the show to do episodic stories without breaking the major arc(s).

In the case of SG-1, it was taken on a season by season approach, particularly noticeable with seasons 9 and 10. So unfortunately, there were some episodes where you're going "huh?" to, because it seemed like they said "we're stepping away from this for a little while". The lost city for example was most likely thrown in and worked around so they could throw in atlantis into the continuity.

Still not as bad as the star trek canon which gets downright silly when it involves continuity. Every series feels like it's wrapped up in it's own little bubble and gets a little rupture when the writers feel like it. The O'Brien on DS9 is the largest example where he was on the enterprise when it supposedly visits the station. (the episode I'm referring to is in TNG) O'Brien came in on the first day the federation started administration in DS9 continuity and was even there before Brashir, but in the TNG episode, the station has been under federation administration for some time, in full operation, and O'Brien had never been on the station before that, met Brashir while the doctor was already stationed there, and did not stay on the station.

But that's just a personal beef of mine.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X