This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I learned to dance

A long time ago back in 1979 my mom asked me if I wanted to go to a dance with her. At the time I was 14 years old & didn't know how to dance. I told her that I didn't want to go cause I didn't know how to dance & she tells me that I'll be fine. I'll have fun.

So I got dressed up & went with her. Should never have gone cause I had a miserable time. I tried dancing only to end up making a complete fool of myself. People snickered & laughed at my attempts to dance. For years after that, I was refered to as the "fool" who had no business being there! Even my mom talked behind my back when it was HER IDEA IN THE !ST PLACE!!!!

So I vowed to learn how to be a good dancer. I watched dance videos. I studied people who danced real good. I didn't bother watching male dancers cause male dancers can't dance nowhere near as good as female dancers do. You put a male dancer against a female dancer & the female dancer will ALWAYS out dance a male dancer. We got better rhythm...lol. & it helps to be Puerto Rican too.

I went to every single one of my high school dances & it was there where I got better at dancing to the point where I became the BEST dancer in my school. I was even voted "Best Dancer" in my 12th grade yearbook!!!

My main dance inspiration was Michael Jackson. Studied his moves & adapted them to my style. I had no interest in dancing just like him cause there are enough copy cats in the world. Still can't do the moonwalk even though I tried millions of times...lol.

I've been to enough dances where my family was present where they were stunned that I can dance so good. My mom asked me a while back how I learned to dance so good. When I reminded her of how she made a fool out of me back in 1979 she didn't know what to say. She was embarrassed.

I can dance with the best of them now but thinking back to that time in 1979 still hurts when I think about it.

i wish i had a fun story like that my parents decided to make me socialize and a goodie two shoes boy decided to teach the wall flower how to swing.

i also learned to waltz for my gran father.

Comment

when i was little, my mom told me every man should know how to dance, so she started to teach me. when she'd reached the limit of what she could teach me, she put me in lessons (ballroom, though as i got older i learned other styles as well; swing and salsa are personal favorites). i dance constantly, even when there's no music to speak of. any rhythmic sound will do; earlier this evening i was dancing to the sound of the dishwasher

i thank my mom every day for instilling a love of dance in me. i especially thanked her when i was single, as it's almost a guarantee that if you go to a club, a party, a dance, whatever, the dance floor will be packed with women and the men will be standing around the edge watching. those few who are on the floor (and i do give them points for trying) either have no idea what they're doing or are only out there grudgingly. it was my experience that the women would be very excited to have a man on the floor who not only knew what he was doing, but also actually enjoyed doing it.
      My Space

Comment

Working...
      X