This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint question...

yeah we ran into a TINY problem with my new home...and I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

We starting cleaning the kitchen today (read: using industrial strength degreaser on a kitchen that hadn't been cleaned in god knows how long), and while washing the cabinets, noticed that the paint was peeling off in SHEETS. Now thankfully this was going to be repainted ANYWAY, but now I'm having to strip paint off of the cabinet doors, and the fronts of the drawers so that we can remedy this problem of peeling paint.

So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to strip latex based paint off of a oil base? its pratically glued on and even a paint stripper and paint scrapper is having a hard time getting it all off.

It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Well, you don't actually have to get it all off, since you're repainting anyway, so long as the layers aren't too thick.

Scrape everything that's loose off, then sand it lightly, wipe the walls down with a damp cloth, let dry thoroughly, prime, paint.

If you really want to get it all off, it's gonna be a bitch no matter what you do. You can get paint remover, but it turns the paint into a gooey mess that's a major PITA.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I agree with ArcticChicken on this one. Paint remover is best used outdoors (i.e. take the doors and drawers outside to use it!) As long as the latex layer is not so thick that the cabinetry won't close, scaping the loose stuff and a primer layer would be your least nerve-wracking bet. The prime layer would be quite thin as you aren't going over fiberboard or bare drywall. I speak from experience there. Good luck on your redecorating.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You might just want to sand the whole thing down. oil base under latex is just going to cause you more problems in the long run. IIRC They make a special primer to go over oil and under latex. If that's not used you'll end up with nasty looking oily stains, I imagine the peeling paint is a part of that problem as well.
        It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Working...
        X