This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter...Spoilers

...I was just very disappointed. Didn't live up to what I have heard about it. What a waste of money...

On the positive side... I found a REALLY yummy place to eat afterwards!
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

I tend to disagree, I thought this was actually the best movie so far. This is ironic because I think book 6 is the worst one.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I read the book long enough ago that I don't remember what all was left out. I enjoyed the movie. My roomie saw it today and she was also disappointed, though.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I keep hearing from so many people that they really didn't like this one, but I thought it was the best one yet. I loved it!
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

*shrugs* Different opinions I suppose. Just felt like, while there was a plot, there was never really any climax... just very much level though the whole movie. The special effects rocked, the acting was what I expected... the story just felt flat and uninteresting... I did like it more than the book though....

**edited to avoid thread jacking**

Quoth Chanlin View Post
          IMO they didn't do enough explaining to fill in the gaps of what they left out. They pretty much left some fairly big holes.

Maybe that's what it is that is bugging me so much. Just the lack of info... it was the same with the Golden Compass. Okay movie, but there was just so much NOT explained that it made me dislike it!
          Last edited by Red_Dazes; 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM.
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

IMO they didn't do enough explaining to fill in the gaps of what they left out. They pretty much left some fairly big holes. They also didn't emphasize enough IMO how much harry was relying on the HBP's book. The book made it seem much more of this huge moral dilemma.

I've already said I'm referring to this as the Empire Strikes Back of the movies. IE it wasn't bad, but it also was nowhere near great.
            Last edited by Chanlin; 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Ditto.

Mom and I saw it last night at a drive in theater. It um....yea....too many gaps

Comment

I haven't read either books 6 or 7, so I have no clue what they took out of in the film. However, I have read the J. K. Rowling approves of the scripts and is there on the set for filming. So if it was too gap-y, Ms. Rowling didn't have a problem with it.

The local theater was offering it as a "Sensory Friendly Film", so Mr. Rum, Child Rum, and I all trooped out to the theater and caught it for $6/person and we were the only 3 in the movie theater! Child Rum got to go to the movies, run around and have Mommy & Daddy time all in the comfort of being in the in doors.

Yeah, it was a fun time.

Comment

It was a decent movie. No real climax, but a decent movie.

But it wasn't Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

I don't think I'll be seeing it again, and I understand why that stupid gerbil movie beat it out in the second week.

Comment

I saw it last night guys n i gotta say I thought it was good. Ya, it wasnt as action filled as the others, but it's an important part of the whole story. My one firend that came along however., has not seen or read any of the other Harry Potter books/movies, and therefore, did not enjoy the movie at all. Fair enough

I just had to put my thoughts in, I enjoyed it and look forward to the ending!! dundun duuuuunnnnnn lol nm
                    Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

way tooo many gaps. several unnecessary made up scenes. missing IMPORTANT stuff left out. BIG HOLES. horcurx clues nonexisitant (except in a very very short flash), ancestory background nonexsistant

I guess they assume that ALL goers have read the book so the BLANKS will fill in themselves.

no funeral no quest decision, no real battles, no explaination of Fred and George and how they got the galleons for the shop

I did however like Harry on the Felix potion (had me thinking Harry on acid) and Ron's posioning scene was great. the acting was above par esp Slughorn and Dumbledoor. liked the lake scene very well done

I REALLY REALLY hope that Deadly Hallows is much better since they are doing it in 2 parts but then again I have been dissapointed before. they had 2 1/2 hours this time and still did not get it close
                      Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

After being disappointed over OotP (reread the book immediately before going to see the movie, really upset over the stuff the left out - did they really need Grawp in OotP?!), I didn't have high expectations for HBP and purposely didn't reread the book before hand (haven't touched the HP series in over a year, which is strange, I normally reread it once every 8 or 9 months) so I was actually fairly happy with it.

I looooved Harry on Felix! That cracked me up! Ginny/Bonnie Wright was kinda awkward this film though. That's really the only thing that really bothered me this film. I reread the book and saw it again last week and still wasn't that bothered by what was left out. I think I'm just used to things being left out of the movies now and seeing the books and the movies as almost two separate entities, the movies maybe just a "re-imagining" of the books.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          way tooo many gaps. several unnecessary made up scenes. missing IMPORTANT stuff left out. BIG HOLES. horcurx clues nonexisitant (except in a very very short flash), ancestory background nonexsistant

I guess they assume that ALL goers have read the book so the BLANKS will fill in themselves.
                          That's the problem, many of the movie fans haven't read the books. I've read the whole series, but my husband only read the first one, and even he said it felt like there was something missing.

I really wish they'd shown more memories, particularly the Hepzibah Smith one (considering it shows two of the Horcruxes, I'd say that was pretty darned important). Instead, they decided to torch the Burrow. Why? It didn't add anything to the story, except to make Bellatrix look more evil (and we already know she's evil, after what she did to Sirius and the Longbottoms).

I must say, the scenes where Ron is befuddled by the love potion, and then cured, were very funny and well done. Draco's scenes were good, too. The kids have gotten to be better actors with each movie. I look forward to seeing the last installment/s.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

If they remove any more of the contents from the movies, Daniel Radcliffe will be circumsized by the last one.
                            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Draco's scenes were good, too. The kids have gotten to be better actors with each movie. I look forward to seeing the last installment/s.
                              I'll certainly second this - but with one caveat; Tom Felton is growing into such a nice looking young man that I didn't dislike him NEARLY as much as when he was a snide and sniveling youngster. There was just something so punchable about his character previously, now he seems nobler.

Comment

Working...
                              X