This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    Showtunes? Stereotype much? I actually listen to a bunch of 365 stations. I've been on a real rock-a-billy kick lately. But streamin' XRT is my mainstay still.
    I love rock-a-billy! Especially Brian Setzer's stuff; one of my all-time favorite albums is Rockabilly Riot.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
      Btw, has anyone here read Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs? It's sooooo funny!
      YES! He skewers some of the Worst Songs Ever, and brilliantly! One unfortunate side effect is earworms; you read about a song, then you get it stuck in your head, playing over and over and over...
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

AdminAssistant, I hate Taylor Swift with the fire of a thousand suns.

There is a 90% chance that in one hour on the radio, you'll hear at least two or three of her songs.....on top of that chance, there's at least a 40% chance one of those songs will be repeated.

I agree, she is funny looking and not attractive in my eyes, but her physical appearance isn't why I think that. She's supposed to be this All American Country Girl, one of those celebs who really pushes the "I'm a role model!" thing.....and she is one of the snobbiest, rudest celebs out there.

We had a country music festival a few weeks back and Taylor Swift (naturally) was the main attraction. Sure, she puts on one hell of a show and she'll go out of her way to entertain the kids.....but if you're an adult, ESPECIALLY if you're a guy....she will not acknowledge you. One of my friends was working security at her show and said she had NINE freaking trailers and she snubbed anyone who wanted to get near her, save for kids. This whole part of Wisconsin has now dubbed her the Mariah Carey of Country music because she acts like such a high class I'm too good for this diva.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm Like A Bird: There are no words for how much I hate that song.
          An old coworker had her own version of the chorus. It went...
          "I shot a bird that tried to fly away.
          I don't know where it's head is,
          but I know where my gun is."

She sang that spoof because one of the managers was shooting birds away from the dumpsters at work and yes, he did get in trouble for it.

I despise Mariah Carey with a burning hate!! An ex broke up with me with her screechy voice whining in the background.
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

I hear the same damn songs at the same damn times every damn morning (the only time I really listen to the radio on a regular basis). They change every few weeks or so, but still. Is it really necessary to play Pink at 6:30 and Katie Perry at 6:42 and...? Bleh.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've found a couple of songs by Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus that are not horrible to listen to. I won't go out of my way for them, but I won't change the station, either.

There are a number of songs I will do, but I don't know who sings them. I don't want to know.
              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
                An old coworker had her own version of the chorus. It went...
                "I shot a bird that tried to fly away.
                I don't know where it's head is,
                but I know where my gun is."
                Now I'm going to think of that every time I hear the song! That might make it somewhat bearable...
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                  "What do you get when you lock up a jew and a gay man in a hotel room for the weekend? A musical!"

My factory union leader boss, a big burly old school Chicago cop, and myself used to ponder entering the annual Gay Pride (or whatever the all inclusive acronym is now) Parade under the banner: SMFM!: Straight Men For Musicals. I gather it was rather amusing to see the three of us singing different parts of "Oklahoma! or "PotO" whenever we were all in the same room. (Or maybe they were just laughing at my singing...no, it's the dichotomy they were laughing at, I'm sure.) Would have been fun to show a little solidarity with our fellow males' appreciation of a good tune though.

I love rock-a-billy! Especially Brian Setzer's stuff; one of my all-time favorite albums is Rockabilly Riot.
                  Got to see him a few times during the Stray Cats days, which is probably the biggest influence on my following rock back to its earlier roots. Great performer, and really underrated for the impact he's had on getting people to appreciate big band and swing as well as rock.
                  Last edited by sms001; 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Pokerface-Lady Gaga
                    Boom-boom-boom-black eyed peas
                    Don't trust me-3oh!3

and the station the techs play repeats these songs at least 6 times during an 8 hour shift!
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

That song "Young Folks," by whichever weenies did the song "Young Folks." It's the one with the whistling.

I have informed my co-workers to expect a slow, bloody death if they sing, whistle or hum that song anyplace near me.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I once got stuck on hold and had to sit through Achy Breachy Heart 17 times....

I was about ready to shove the pen through my eardrum so I could go home sick....
                        GAAAAAAAAAAAHH . . . that song alone makes me want to commit sideways.

Another one that will drive me batty goes "It was a private convrersation . . ." Good Grief, if it WAS a private conversation, then what the Hell are you doing talking about it??????

I just want to find whomever wrote that song and just rip out their vocal cords and choke the moron with them. And the same for the person who recorded it.
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 07-30-2009, 12:45 AM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Another one that will drive me batty goes "It was a private convrersation . . ." Good Grief, if it WAS a private conversation, then what the Hell are you doing talking about it??????

I just want to find whomever wrote that song and just rip out their vocal cords and choke the moron with them. And the same for the person who recorded it.
                          A quick round of Google-Fu shows that particular musical sphincter lock is, in fact called "Private Conversation" and it was inflicted on an unsuspecting music-loving public by one Lyle Lovett (isn't he the goofy-looking guy who was once married to Julia Roberts?)

Now you and I both have a name to go with the musician we'll be mentally sending through the repeatedly.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            My factory union leader boss, a big burly old school Chicago cop, and myself used to ponder entering the annual Gay Pride (or whatever the all inclusive acronym is now) Parade under the banner: SMFM!: Straight Men For Musicals. I gather it was rather amusing to see the three of us singing different parts of "Oklahoma! or "PotO" whenever we were all in the same room. (Or maybe they were just laughing at my singing...no, it's the dichotomy they were laughing at, I'm sure.) Would have been fun to show a little solidarity with our fellow males' appreciation of a good tune though.
                            Marry me.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              Marry me.
                              In a heart beat - I'm pretty sure we're even in the same general age group. Except even up here north o' Green Bay I think they frown on polygamy. Still, nice to know that humming and singing those damn things to the annoyance of myself and others all these years would have finally paid off!

Comment

I think I'm lucky. The Fox here in Fredericton ( http://foxrocks.ca/ ) has a good selection of Rock music, so I avoid the boi bands and the sirens and similar "Top 40"/"Pop" music, and they don't really overplay a song; I think the most I've heard a song is maybe 3 times top during an 8hour workday, usually as I get in to work, around noon and when I'm leaving work.

Plus they play a lot of Canadian artists, and they REALLY support the local/regional artists; it's rare an hour goes by without someone from the province, or at least the Maritimes getting air time. (Age of Daze, Sleepy Driver, Grand Theft Bus, Wintersleep, Andrew Hunter and the Gatherers, etc....)

So with the FOx on my earphones, I usually have a good day and rarely burn out on a song. Well there is one song I'm burned out, that "Save your Scissors" song. I never liked it when it started playing, and the more I hear it, the more it annoys me and increases my hatred of it. I now change the station whenever it comes on if I can, or kill the radio outright. Luckily between the Fox, Capitol FM and FredFM, I tend to have a good music selection.

Comment

Working...
                                X