This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I (heart) my new apartment

As detailed in this thread, I've recently had to move. I was forced to flee in the middle of the night (alright, actually it was over the course of about a week), taking with me only the clothes on my back, plus a queen-size bed and mattresses, a full-size dining table, a bookcase and enough books to completely fill the trunk of a Kia, a dresser and a large television, an extensive collection of dvd's and a PlayStation 2, assorted knick-knacks, several framed pictures and maps, wall hangings, enough clothing to fill a walk-in closet including more than 100 shirts, a 25-gallon aquarium (with stand) and three obese goldfish, and a laundry basket full of shoes.

While I had been apprehensive and a little pissed before, I've been here three days now and I can definitely say that life is good.

This place is so much better than the other apartment! For one, it doesn't look as though it was last redecorated in 1987. At my old apartment, the bathroom wallpaper for whatever reason brought to mind 16-year-old Charlene standing at the mirror armed with a can of Aqua Net and a comb, teasing until she was certain her hair would be the biggest at the entire Lehigh Valley Mall that afternoon and wouldn't all the other girls be jealous? And what's really wild is that I don't even live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where the Lehigh Valley Mall is located.

For another, my bedroom is slightly bigger than the old one. It has more than one dinky window, although unfortunately this did me little good and I spent yesterday afternoon covering the glass with tinfoil and duct tape for that classy and ever-popular "either I work nights or I'm a vampire, or possibly running a meth lab" look. Time will tell if the neighbors complain. Speaking of bedrooms, it would appear that the walls in this new place are slightly more sturdy than those in the old place. You can hear the occasional bump from the bathroom next door and you can hear when the shower or bath is running, but you don't get a play-by-play of your roommates' digestive complaints. This works out for all of us because it means that I, working nights and usually up all night, don't have to sneak downstairs shrouded in shame to use the downstairs bathroom when the call of nature refuses to go to voicemail.

There are other things I could say about the apartment itself, but suffice to say I'm living with two people who can't abide a dirty abode and this is quite nice. The other place looked like white trash other than myself lived there. In this new place we've even got an aspiring interior decorator. What's odd is that he's straight, Korean, and an ex-US Marine. I figure... whatever gets you through the night. If you want to decorate, decorate. The result is that our living room looks like a sitcom set -- one of those sitcoms set in New York where everyone lives in an Apartment Much Nicer Than Yours and where their furniture and wall coverings are as hip as is befitting of a bunch of 20-somethings living together -- except for the fact that the furniture is not positioned to face a wall.

The dishwasher in the kitchen works, too. It didn't at the old place. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Outside the apartment, there's a pool, tennis court, and basketball court and these are all amenities I've never had before because over the course of living on my own, I've lived in one rundown house, and one rundown apartment that backed up to a swamp. No pool, in other words. I've already made use of the pool when I and my roommates went to spend about four hours having a ball in it. I'm sunburnt, of course, but as they say, it's a good hurt. I'm also looking quite buff thanks to having to move all this furniture around. My arms are darn sexy if I do say so myself.

Finally, this apartment complex is named for a creek, and while apartment complex names usually drift in from the planet of RealtorSpeak, where descriptions have no connection whatsoever to reality, I was shocked to discover that there is indeed a small creek flowing through the complex and we're right next to it. You can see it from the balcony off the dining room, as well as from the bedrooms of my two roommates. My room, meanwhile, before I covered the windows looked out on a stand of pine trees and the tennis and basketball courts.

All in all, things are great here. I'm feathering the absolute shit out of my nest and expect to pick up a couple of pieces of new furniture this week, hopefully. And, my obese goldfish are bumping into each other across the room even as I type. At the old place my room was too small to keep the aquarium in there with me and the fish lived in the living room instead. If all goes well, I'll have the entire room squared away by the time my boyfriend comes to visit for a week later this month.

There have only been a couple of small problems. The first was that the dryer almost caught fire the first time we used it, so we've called in the complex maintenance to clean out the vent and put a cover on it. If that doesn't work, we call the store I bought the washer and dryer from. The other problem is that the ex-Marine aspiring decorator keeps a stupid person as a sort of pet. The stupid person sleeps in the living room, while I and one roommate have bedrooms, and the decorator has the finished basement all to himself. I've found it easy enough to ignore the stupid person thus far, although from time to time he'll say something so idiotic that all of us stop what we're doing and stare at him. Then he forgets whatever it was he was talking about and wanders back into the living room to play Call of Duty 4. According to the ex-Marine aspiring decorator, this can be blamed on all the drugs the stupid person used to do.

But, all in all, things are just fantastic. I (heart) this place!
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Allow me to be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS!
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Comment

There are no ex-Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Congrats on the new place.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
        And what's really wild is that I don't even live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where the Lehigh Valley Mall is located.
        !

Congrats on the apt! Living somewhere you love makes life easier.

But I have to tell you....Lehigh Valley Mall is nowhere near Lancaster, PA. I live here. Its about 1.5 hrs north toward the pocono mts. Just in case ure thinking about taking a road trip.

Comment

Lehigh Valley Mall is in Whitehall, in Lehigh County. (I went to school near Lancaster...it ain't there .)

Congrats on the place...sounds great. If/when you have some spare cash, you might want to get some blackout curtains, so you don't look quite so "vampire keeping the aliens out of your meth lab"... Then when you do want some sunlight you don't have to undo all your work.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
            There are no ex-Marines. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Congrats on the new place.
            My dad says the same thing.

And to everyone else, thank you all, and let me be the first to apologize for the whole Lehigh Valley Mall incident (of which we will never speak again...). Obviously, somebody has some explaining to do at whatever link it was that caused that mall to come up when I googled Lancaster.

I have no idea why Lancaster either. It just seems an 80's sort of place.
            Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I have no idea why Lancaster either. It just seems an 80's sort of place.

You have no idea. LOL.

We're full of amish. google them. Its very interesting actually. and they make good strawberry pies...mmmm.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                You have no idea. LOL.

We're full of amish. google them. Its very interesting actually. and they make good strawberry pies...mmmm.
                Nothing like heading out to Homecoming and getting stuck behind a horse and buggy with Amish boys on rollerblades hanging off the back. (That was coming from my friend's place in Delaware; my usual route does not actually go through Amish country, though I do see lots of purty farms.)

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  You have no idea. LOL.

For whatever reason, there's a fairly visible Mennonite community in my part of the country and that's... interesting. They dress a bit like the Amish, but that's where the resemblance ends. It's always fun to see a lady in one of those dresses and caps yakking away on a cell phone, riding an escalator at the airport, or tapping out something on her BlackBerry.

Comment

For whatever reason, there's a fairly visible Mennonite community in my part of the country and that's... interesting. They dress a bit like the Amish, but that's where the resemblance ends. It's always fun to see a lady in one of those dresses and caps yakking away on a cell phone, riding an escalator at the airport, or tapping out something on her BlackBerry.
                    We used to see a lot of Mennonites around school. They are much more visible in the outside world.

Though I did once see an Amish family getting on the subway in Philadelphia (and yes, they were actually Amish).

Comment

When I go home, I go through an area of Missouri with a lot of Mennonites. Lots of horse drawn buggies to be aware of. I believe they vary in levels of acceptance of modern culture - some completely boycott it as the Amish do, while some have cars, cell phones, etc.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                        When I go home, I go through an area of Missouri with a lot of Mennonites. Lots of horse drawn buggies to be aware of. I believe they vary in levels of acceptance of modern culture - some completely boycott it as the Amish do, while some have cars, cell phones, etc.
                        Well, "Mennonite" encompasses a lot of groups. Amish is a Mennonite sect, but not all Mennonites are Amish. Even Amish groups vary in their use of modern things; some communities have a public telephones for emergency use, for instance, or will use gas generators. Some communities allow members to ride in cars, but not drive them, and they will hire drivers for long trips. Some stricter groups don't even allow riding in cars. It all depends on the community leadership. Some more moderate Mennonites drive cars and live relatively mainstream lives, but their dress is very conservative (women in skirts and caps, etc.). Others...you wouldn't know from looking at them if they were Mennonite or not.
                        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-08-2009, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X