This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Raid off of dishes?

So, last night we had a huge roach climb up our kitchen drain into the sink. Boyfriend grabbed the Raid and sprayed it, but we had a couple plates in the sink and I'm sure some of the Raid got on them. Do I have to do anything special to clean said plates, or will normal dish soap do the trick?

If it's a porous material (like melmac or plastic) you are really going to want to put it in a dishwasher.

Non-porous materials (glass, glazed ceramic, etc) will wash fine with normal soap and water.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Personally, I've not had good experience with Raid. It seems the ants we get every summer are immune to it.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Thanks for the responses. We don't have to use the Raid too often...thankfully, we haven't had any ants this summer (huge knock on wood, boyfriend says they're usually terrible this time of year). The big roaches are the only thing we've used it on so far, and we've only had a couple of them. Just have to remember to put the drain cap on the drain so they can't crawl up into the sink...

Comment

Actually the compounds in Raid break down quickly because of their large molecular structure (I learned that from a guy on the Poison Control hotline once). So I think a good washing and rinsing of the plates and letting them sit out overnight should do the trick.

Comment

The new Raid is organic based and not nearly as toxic to humans as it used to be.
            I'm not even sure there's a poison symbol on the can anymore.

Here's a link to the MSDS for Raid Flying Insect, Raid Concentrated Deep Reach Fogger, and Raid Ant and Roach Killer
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I once saw a story on Discovery Health about a guy that went into a seizure because he sprayed a ton of Raid in his house. But it took like FIVE full cans, sprayed in his house with all the windows and doors sealed shut, to get to that point!

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                But it took like FIVE full cans, sprayed in his house with all the windows and doors sealed shut, to get to that point!
                Okay, at that point, you're basically punching Darwin in the face, daring him to retaliate. I guess it does show a few spritzes on a plate aren't going to be super-dangerous though.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Wow. People.

We went ahead and tossed them in the dishwasher, even though they're glazed ceramic and I probably could've just don them by hand.

Comment

id have a panic attack if a roach climbed out of the drain

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                      Had a spider crawl out of the bathroom sink drain while I was brushing my teeth once. Scared the living hell out of me! Normally, I go with the quick, painless squashing, but he scared me and was scrambling all around the sink, so I did grab the Raid to slow it down, then scooped it up in a cup, and flushed it to the great beyond.

I understand the benefits of spiders in their niche, but my apartment is my niche, and critters, 8-legged or otherwise, are not allowed.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I saw one a couple of weeks ago in my store before I opened. I was ready to lock up the store and call it a freakin' day. Luckily, one of my associates was my hero and she just stomped on it.

Man I hate those things. I can't even bring myself to step on them. *shivers*
                        If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Quoth Camry178 View Post
                          Man I hate those things. I can't even bring myself to step on them. *shivers*
                          I'm the same way. I just about ran into the bedroom when I saw the one crawling out of the sink the other night (I was sitting at the dining room table, so at least I wasn't right next to it.) A few weeks ago, I opened the cupboard under the sink to get some paper towel and when I grabbed the bag I needed, a dead one flopped out on the floor right next to me. I freaked out and refused to enter the kitchen till my boyfriend got rid of it. (had to wait about an hour 'cuz he was still at work. )

We had an exterminator come and spray a little under the sink, although he said keeping the drains plugged when not using them is the best way to keep them out. He said he had one crawl up his bathroom sink one night when he was brushing his teeth! All I can say is, at least they're not scorpions. Those things live around here too but we haven't had one since I moved in, thank GOD.

Comment

I'd move out.

My 0.02

Comment

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                              I'd move out.

My 0.02
                              I hate roaches too, but in certain cities, they're a fact of life. Like Downtown SLC, if you go outside at night during the summer, the sidewalks are COVERED in roaches. So naturally, they will get inside your home eventually.
                              "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Working...
                              X