This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's time I moved back to the desert

I don't know if anyone watches the weather channel, but apparently Louisville was the top story today. And no wonder considering our main streets turned into rivers, and our highways into lakes. The person who gives me a ride to work couldn't even get to me today, considering all the streets around both of us were under water today.

Within an hour and fifteen minutes, we got 6+ inches of rain in downtown. Because we'd already gotten nine inches of rain in the past seven days, our sewage systems were not prepared for the torrential downpours of this morning and this afternoon.

I did follow what all our officials were saying and stayed home from work (not having a ride didn't help, after all fifteen some miles by highway is a long way to swim ) It looks like the water's pretty much receded, though, so I should be back to work tomorrow

I really think it's time for me to move back to the desert. All this rain is driving me crazy!

Ah, but the desert has El Nino. I guess you can't get away from disasters. But I'm sick of the humidity here. I'm uncomfortable for all of August, usually.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      Ah, but the desert has El Nino. I guess you can't get away from disasters. But I'm sick of the humidity here. I'm uncomfortable for all of August, usually.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoHz56jWGY

Comment

I miss the dry heat of the desert. I think I'd much rather drink my water than breath it, like I was today when I actually did venture out to do some grocery shopping after making sure the roads were clear enough to walk to the store.

Comment

I SHOULD have stayed home yesterday, but it wasn't too bad until I was ALMOST to work. And then I had to slosh through knee-deep water. And then the basement at work started to flood. I was GLAD to be sent home and get out of my wet clothing. And I have no idea when I'll be going back to work as my branch is closed until further notice. While it's nice to have a few unexpected days off, I won't be getting paid.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm just sick of summer, period. I cannot WAIT til the glorious fall.

Oh look, its gonna rain, again.....
            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Put me down as another person who is sick and tired of the rain ... my poor kitteh is terrified of thunder, and it seems like we are having at least 3 thunderstorms a week [at least most of them only last an hour or so] but it is pitiful having her huddled under the blankets beside me whimpering like a whipped puppy

I have always preferred snowstorms, personally. I find it way easier to keep warm than cool off and dehumidify. I'm getting a hysterectomy next tuesday and I am NOT looking forward to the hot flashes and the rest of the summer heat

I want winter, a nice blizzard. I can curl up in front of my woodstove with a pot of stew on top and a pan of homemade snowflake rolls with a pot of coffee and a book on my moto 9m [i love ebooks] and snuggle the kitteh. I even have a battery speaker setup for my ipod in case the power goes off ... so I can listen to music =)

The respective rain gods can go shove a thunderbolt up their respective arses.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Red, I never knew you ever lived in the desert to begin with.

I myself just signed a one-year lease, and once it is up, I plan on finally pulling up stakes from this tropical island and heading back to my beloved Sonoran desert (that's Phoenix for the rest of you). If you want to come along, I am sure I can use a roommate or two. Phoenix is a great place!

And while someone said you can't get away from disasters, I disagree. This is what you can potentially expect to deal with in Phoenix: lots of heat (duh), an occasional flash flood (very rare, and even rare IN town, where I always live), and the occasional "monsoon," basically an over-rated thunderstorm in August or September. Oh, and the occasional dust storm or (in its more minor form) dust devil (basically a miniature tornado that is more nuisance than catastrophe). This is what you won't deal with: blizzards, snowstorms, avalanches, mudslides, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, waterspouts, tsunamis, major floods, ice storms, frozen roads (and dangers such as "black ice"), etc. In other words, as long as you don't mind a little heat, you are not going to have to deal with the major disasters that so much of the rest of the country has to deal with.

People often ask me why I want to leave Key West and move back to Phoenix. I have several reasons, but one of the more minor ones is that the only way to get a hurricane in Phoenix is to order one in a bar.

So, Red....wanna join me in my westward excursion next summer? Anyone else? All you need is good sunglasses and some sunscreen.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

And here I am already in the desert wish we'd get the monsoons we're SUPPOSED to be getting this time of year. So far, it's only been one major storm in my area. I like thunder and lightning and heavy rain.
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    I like thunder and lightning and heavy rain.
                    Oh, then you would LOVE Florida, especially the Keys and the Tampa area!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      And here I am already in the desert wish we'd get the monsoons we're SUPPOSED to be getting this time of year. So far, it's only been one major storm in my area. I like thunder and lightning and heavy rain.
                      Quoth Jester View Post
                      Oh, then you would LOVE Florida, especially the Keys and the Tampa area!
                      This summer, you would love Kansas. I am getting really tired of being woken up at night by another freakin' thunderstorm. (I'm one of those that does not find a storm relaxing, especially when the thunder is literally shaking the apartment). No tornadoes this year...so far. But the season's not over yet.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Red, I just searched for you to see if you posted anything lately because I heard about the problems in Louisville. I was worried.

My grandmother's basement flooded and it sounds like the area is a general mess so we had to cancel our trip to Louisville that was set for next week.

It's just not been a good year for Louisville!

Comment

if you moved you couldnt do the derby or the breeders cup w me next year
                          The Pens 2009 Stanley Cup Champs

Listen to some Steely Dan Tonight its good for Ya

Il Son Patie

Comment

Jester don't tempt me! I lived in Jerusalem for all four years of highschool and love love LOVED the nice dry heat. The dust storms just made everything look like an old picture. And whenever we'd go hiking in the south or near the Dead Sea, I fell in love all over again. Not to mention riding through the Judean Mountains every weekend.

I would love to move west, but it's not just my decision... Though, I have to say, if I were to move west, I'd probably end up in New Mexico, since I've got family there.

Comment

Red, I am tempting you. The offer stands. I shall need roommates when I move back. Think about it. Next August, baby. Me, you, and your boyfriend. Lovely place in Tempe is what I am thinking.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X