This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift advice

A friend of mine is experiencing (I can't say "celebrating") a birthday soon. Said friend had to be talked into going somewhere with me on his birthday. He claims there's no reason to celebrate his birthday. I suggested that we celebrate something else ON his birthday. He agreed.

So, I thought I'd get him a DVD, but he hasn't bought himself a new player yet (old one was stolen). Would it be in poor taste for me to get him a DVD anyway, in the knowledge that he's going to buy himself a new player eventually?

Damn it, I was going to get him a very good book, but the English-language bookstores in town are all out of copies of that particular book.

Heck, these days you can get a DVD PLAYER for less than a lot of DVDs.

I'd say go for it. He's gonna get one eventually and this may spur him on.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Sheldonrs has an idea. Replacing a stolen item sounds quite thoughtful to me.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I completely thought that Eireann and taxguykarl were the same poster for a minute 'cuz their avatars are so similar.

Anyway, I'd say either a DVD or a DVD Player would be fine. Does he have a computer or a laptop? If he does, chances are he DOES have a DVD player there, so if nothing else, he can still watch DVDs on his computer.

Comment

Yeah, get him a new player. I've seen them as low as $40.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The problem with getting a new player is that you can't know what kind/type of player this guy may be looking for. I'd go with getting a DVD.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

If you know where he might buy a new player you could always go for a gift card to put towards it...
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I did think of getting him a new DVD player, but since he's already planning to get a new one, I thought I'd leave it up to him, since I'm sure he has a pretty good idea which one he wants. Electronics here aren't cheap, either; a DVD costs less.

His birthday is coming up very soon, so there isn't time to special-order the book. I did think of presenting him with an IOU for a present (without telling him what it is) so I can order the book and give it to him later.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  If you know where he might buy a new player you could always go for a gift card to put towards it...
                  Great idea.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                  X