This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the chapel and we're...

Actually, we're not going to any chapel. But we are getting married!

We've been "engaged" for a long time now and we knew that we wanted to get married but we wanted to do it sort of spontaneously and low-key. There's not going to be much of a ceremony, we're just going down to a judge's office to have him marry us and inviting one of our friends. We don't want a big party or anything.

So, we decided to do it this weekend! Saturday at 10:30! Woohoo!

Congrats!!!

If I cant get married on the mountain, I'm def going for spontanous!!
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Congrats! Yey! *confetti pop!*
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

Congrats!!

And props to you for doing it your way

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
          Congrats!!

And props to you for doing it your way
          Thank you! We're so excited to just be able to get married without a big wedding. Even my parents are happy about it!

Comment

Extra super congrats!

As someone who has done both, I think you'll be amazed, impressed, and unbelievably happy about the difference a formal vow makes. Have fun!

Comment

Many, many, many best wishes! Enjoy the day and treasure the moment.

All the best to you and your future together.

Awww - you're making me feel sentimental
              No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Congrats!!

A couple of my friends did the same thing, mostly for family reasons, and it worked out great!
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Congrats!!!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Well, we just got home! It was wonderful. Except we forgot our camera, but thankfully the precinct we were at is right next to a Big Lots, so the judge told us to run over there to get a disposable camera. Our friend who came with us did a great job taking pics, he was running all over the courtroom snapping shots during the whole ceremony. Once we got going, it only took about 10 or 15 minutes. It was very sweet!

I'm worried/upset about my parents, though. They seemed so happy for us up until now. I just got off the phone with them, and my mom did not sound happy at all. She was crying and it didn't sound like the "I'm happy for you" sort of cry. She didn't say congratulations until I prompted her. She said, "Well, what can I say?" "Uh...how about congratulations?" "... congratulations." She said it very quietly and didn't sound sincere about it. She says that her and my dad are still just "in shock" and that they can't believe I'm married. I keep telling her it really doesn't change who I am. I'm not even changing my last name. She also mentioned something about how they couldn't be there. They had said previously that they were fine with not being there, but this time it sounded like she was upset about it.

I'm really happy, but at the same time, I'm upset about her behavior.

Comment

I am sorry your mom does not sound happy, but just so you know we are all super happy for you!
                      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Ah an excuse to use my fav toast

May you love as long as you live and may you live as long as you love!

Cheers and all that good crap
                        I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Thanks, everyone. You guys are awesome. I talked to my mom again a little while ago and I think she's okay. She sounded happier at least, and said that her and my dad are "getting over the shock." Apparently my dad cried because he wanted to give me away... I'm their only girl, so I was his only chance, I guess. I dunno, we can always renew our vows someday and do a little more formal thing with some of the family. We talked about doing something like that someday.

Anyway, today has been great! After the ceremony this morning, we went out to lunch with two friends of ours, then we all sat around our apartment and talked for a while. Tonight we went out to Borders and got some new manga and then stopped for ice cream. Pistachio flavored with oreos and graham cracker crumbs -- yum!! All in all, I think it was a pretty dang good wedding day!

Comment

Congrats again!

My DH and I did the City Hall thing as well. I asked him to take care of one little thing for the big day. Just to bring the boutinieres (sp?) for himself and his witness. I took care of everything else.

What do you think he forgot... , but other than that, it was probably almost as beautiful as yours.

As for your Mom, mine had the same reaction. I think, in the end, she wanted to have a more lavish do and be the star instead of being just a bit player on the day.

BTW - during the vows, instead of "in sickness and in health" - I ended up saying "in sickness and in bed" . The JOP cracked up...
                            No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post
                              BTW - during the vows, instead of "in sickness and in health" - I ended up saying "in sickness and in bed" . The JOP cracked up...
                              Hahahaha that is hilarious and adorable. XD Yours sounds even more fancy than ours, although not much -- we didn't have flowers or anything. It was seriously just him, me, one friend of ours; the boys were dressed in khakis and polos and I had a nice skirt and blouse on. Not even any jewelry! (except the two earrings I never take out.) It was perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X