Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously what is the FDA for these days?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously what is the FDA for these days?

They used to stop drugs from coming out but the commercials I see these days I think they'd let a company market rat poison as a pain killer as long as they list the side effects thoroughly. I mean I've actually heard them mentioned suicidal desires as a side effects for one of these drugs.

And the absolute worst part, do you know the worst part? THEY DON'T TELL YOU WHAT THE DRUGS ARE ACTUALLY FOR. Seriously how is this mysterious bs supposed to sell products. Imagine if Campbells put out a commercial saying that product x might be for you but then lists all the things wrong with it and then never actually told you what the product was, would you buy it?

Sorry but crap like this really bugs me.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Yeah I recently saw an advert for an anti depression drug, and geez, the side effect list took up 3/4 of the advert!

There were so many negative side effects listed that I muttered to myself "Christ, I'd stick with the depression"
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I agree. Sometimes, the side-effects seem worse than what the drug is suppose to eliminate.

I even remember seeing one that had DEATH as a side effect. I'll pass, thank you.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        They used to stop drugs from coming out but the commercials I see these days I think they'd let a company market rat poison as a pain killer as long as they list the side effects thoroughly.
        Believe it or not, they do let drug companies market rat poison, but as an anti clotting agent (not a pain killer). In carefully controlled doses (very narrow therapeutic range), warfarin (a.k.a. coumarin) is used to prevent clots forming in the blood vessels, where they can get loose and block the small vessels in the brain (ischemic stroke) or which feed the heart muscle (heart attack). In larger doses, and mixed with bait, it's a rat poison.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It was probably an antidepressant or anti-anxiety drug. I just got off of anti-depressants. They've (relatively) recently required a black-box warning of the possibility of suicidal thoughts in adolescents and young adults, but really you can get that at any age. It's also a potential withdrawal symptom. Scary stuff.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I saw an inhalant for allergy sufferers that could potentially cause nose bleeds and holes in the septum. If I wanted those side affects, I'd skip the allergy meds and just snort coke.
            "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

My Dr. keeps trying to give me an asthma medication that one of the side effects is asthma related death. Thanks, but no thanks.
              Insanity : a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world. - R.D. Lang

Comment

I agree, but do realize that they are required to list all possible side effects, even if it was only reported by one person and could have been the fault of something else, but the person said it was because of the medicine. So if a person in their trial has, say, asthma so advanced that medicine doesn't help and passes away during the trial, they could be required to list asthma related death on the side effects. It does not mean that the side effect is common or even probable. Just that someone has reported this as an effect of the medicine, even if it was more closely related to something else
                I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

This is actually a fratching topic, guys.

Maybe it can be continued over there.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                  X