This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant Self Present

So today I bought myself a new book, but not just any new book, no, this one is rather, special.

It's essentially a Mythological Dictionary, consisting of 1135 A4 pages stuffed full of Mythological places, people, races and creatures etc etc.

and not just myths from a few countries, this has stuff from African to Welsh Mythology, 46 Countries/Cultures in total (even then some are grouped together like European, North/South/Central America)

It's quite possibly my best ever purchase.

Any other Mythophiles in here? (Is that even a word? it is now!)
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

I enjoy mythology and have a few books on the subject, but I'm not a 'mythophile'. My experience is largely limited to that of Ancient Greece, because Greek mythology plays such a crucial role in the development of Western theatre.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I used to be way more interested in mythologies than I am now. Not really that I lost interest, just that I haven't taken time to keep up on studying it in years. I have a dictionary of mythology too, although it's not nearly as big as yours. It's a small soft-cover book with maybe 300 pages in it. Also, I got it 12+ years ago so it's a little dated. Still, I read it a lot back in the day. I've always been particularly interested in a myth by the name of Enuma Elish, and if anyone here is familiar with it without looking it up on Google (or in a dictionary of mythology) then I will award brownies.

Comment

I took a mythology class in college out of pure curiosity. Who takes mythology, ya know? I'm really only familiar with the Greek myths.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have the mythology encyclopedia. The gold one with the nifty colored pages full of random tidbits and *drool*. I love me my myths. Part of why I went into history. D'arcy's book of myths started me off back in elementary school...
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Jealous!!

While not technically a mythophile, I do enjoy reading different myths of different cultures.

Wants... <Sulks mightily>

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
              D'arcy's book of myths started me off back in elementary school...
              Exactly the same here! I actually still have the same book my gifted teacher gave me. I tried to get my 9 yr old into it, but he wasnt as excited as I was.

I own about 5 different mythology encyclopedias and a bunch more about specific cultures. Its amazing what you find in the bargain bin/shelves at B&N and Borders or even Goodwill.

Comment

And I got it all for the cheap ass price of £9.99

Along with two documentary boxsets about Ancient Rome and Medieval Britain for £4.99 each too

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I took a mythology class in college out of pure curiosity. Who takes mythology, ya know? I'm really only familiar with the Greek myths.
                Well considering the impact of mythology within a culture, it's probably more useful than it appears, probably to anthropologists and the like.

Hell, it's suprising just how many mythological names/places etc have entered into the english language, Behemoth, Titanic, Draconic and plenty more.

This book, while with some entries it has lengthy articles about the named subject, it acts more like a glossary really, then again with the amount it contains it'd have to be quite short on most accounts.

Oh and Lupo, so you don't quite feel so jealous

Here it is on Amazon

I'm most knowledgable/partial to Greek, Norse and Egyptian Mythology myself, with a smattering of Old English and Celtic thrown in for good mix

Each of those thre pantheons can be boiled down simply as thus: Greek: Backstabbing, lying gits. Egyptian: Just as backstabbing as the Greek ones but also more filthy (Note: If Horus or Anubis ever offer you salad, politely delcine) . Norse: RAIDING PARTY!
                Last edited by RayvenQ; 08-11-2009, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                  Greek: Backstabbing, lying gits.
                  Don't forget the incest!
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Speaking of Which, I'm not sure that Isis was entirely faithful to Osiris, let's look at the evidence:

Isis: Entirely human in form.
                    Osiris: Entirely Human Too.
                    Horus: Mostly Human with a Falcon Head.

Hmm, let's see, who else had a Falcon Head..Oh...right, Methinks Isis was doing the horizontal waltz with Ra

Oh, if anyone wants to know why you should decline salad from Horus and Anubis, PM me, involves bodily fluids but i found it somewhat hilarious.
                    Last edited by RayvenQ; 08-11-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      Well considering the impact of mythology within a culture, it's probably more useful than it appears, probably to anthropologists and the like.
                      Why I wants it. <Wipes off her shiny new B.S. in Anthropology just recently earned> That and I likes reading about schtuff like that.

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      Oh and Lupo, so you don't quite feel so jealous

Here it is on Amazon
                      Require money I don't have!! *Adds to wish list. >.>* But thanks for the link! Maybe one day. Soon. I SHOULD be able to save up that much by my birthday in Nov. :P

And now I'm intrigued by the Anubis/Horus and salad angle. PM me. Please?

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                        Why I wants it. <Wipes off her shiny new B.S. in Anthropology just recently earned> That and I likes reading about schtuff like that.

Require money I don't have!! *Adds to wish list. >.>* But thanks for the link! Maybe one day. Soon. I SHOULD be able to save up that much by my birthday in Nov. :P

And now I'm intrigued by the Anubis/Horus and salad angle. PM me. Please?
                        I just read it because I likes it, hell, I'd take a course on it even if i weren't going to get anything from it other than the knowledge.

and yeah, Just linking it for you so you know and can get it if you're ever interested.

PM Sent, I probablyhave more tales locked up in my head, not quite so base as the Anubis/Horus one.

Comment

Working...
                        X