Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else NEVER get carded for alcohol?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else NEVER get carded for alcohol?

I just find this strange. I'm 25 and I don't think I've been carded for alcohol in at least 2-3 years. But even when I was 21, I very very rarely got carded. I think I've only been carded maybe...3 times my entire life. Once by a good friend of mine who was bartending and knew it was my 21st birthday but needed to see my ID anyway (kudos to him for following the law), once at another bar a couple years later, and once when I bought 2 bottles of wine at a grocery store.

I don't drink a LOT, but usually when my husband and I go out to dinner on the weekends, I will have a glass of wine or a margarita or something. I have never been carded in all the times we've gone out to dinner since we started dating. I always get worried when I leave or forget my purse in the car or at home (I try to bring it with me even when I don't plan on paying anything but sometimes I leave it in the car under the seat for convenience) thinking that I will get carded for ordering alcohol and not have my ID...but it NEVER happens! We were even at the grocery store once together and I wanted to get some beer, but didn't bring my purse in with me, and was worried we would both get carded, even though my husband was paying for the groceries. Nope, cashier never even looked twice, at either of us.

I get the impression that in a lot of these cases (especially with the beer story) that the cashiers/servers/whoever don't care or bother to check ID because it would take longer and they are on a time restraint. Yet, I read a lot of stories on these boards of bartenders or cashiers asking for ID all the time, like they're supposed to. So, how often do you guys actually get carded?

I drink quite a bit and am buying alcohol/going to the bar at least once every week, and I can honestly say I might get carded once every six months, usually less. I'm now 21, but the legal drinking age here is 19, and I could count on one hand the number of times I've been carded since I started going to bars/buying my own liquor (since I was 18, naughty me). I don't know what it is, but the only times I ever get carded are if I'm going out with someone who looks young. If I am by myself, or with older-looking people, it never happens. So I feel you on that one!

Comment

I card people hard. That is just the way I work.

Myself, I used to get carded all the time. I still occasionally get carded....hell, I got carded 5 times when I was 38 I'm 39), including the first two days of my California vacation last September!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I rarely get carded. My girlfriend who is older than me by more than one trip around the sun always gets carded. It's my gray hair
        When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

I never get carded. Of course, I don't buy alcohol, so that might have something to do with it.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It really just depends on where you are and where you go. I know places where you'll almost never get IDed and places where you'll always get IDed. Bars seem to ID me more often than not AKA 99.9% of the time. Liquor stores rarely ID me. That makes me sad since I'm only 21.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I haven't gotten carded recently. I'm not a huge drinker and I rarely buy alcohol for my house (it lasts forever). I never get carded at the liquor store by myself. If I'm out to dinner or something (which is where most of my drinking occurs) it seems to depend on who I'm with. Around my age or older, not so much. If I'm with younger friends or a mixed group, then I might.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't get carded much; I'm 26 and live in a college town. Depends on the bar or store...some card a lot, some don't card at all. At My Favorite Bar in Kansas City, after 9 pm, they card everyone as soon as they enter and don't allow anyone under 21 in at all. It sucks for minors, but I know that bar has been busted for serving to minors before and they aren't hurting for business.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well, when I do go out I tend to frequent the same three places, so everyone already knows me. But baring that, I am 26 and do not get carded most of the time. It's depressing! Knowing that places are supposed to card if a person looks to be under 30...how old do I look? *pout*

However, I did have one rather uplifting experience at the Olive Garden recently. I ordered one of their huge fruity margarita drinks, and the waitress gave me a funny look and said "Are you sure you're of age, sweetheart?" I offered to pull out my ID, and was in the process of doing so, but she said that was OK, just as long as I had it in case the manager asked. Then throughout the meal she kept exclaiming over how she couldn't believe I was over 21, I looked sooooo young! At first I was pleased at punch, then I turned paranoid and wondered if maybe I look old as hell and she was just trying to make me feel good about myself. LOL!

Either way, she got a big ass tip

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                    Well, when I do go out I tend to frequent the same three places, so everyone already knows me. But baring that, I am 26 and do not get carded most of the time. It's depressing! Knowing that places are supposed to card if a person looks to be under 30...how old do I look? *pout*
                    I went out for drinks with work people after closing one night a few years ago...I didn't order a drink but one of my coworkers did. The waitress asked him for ID but commented that she was only asking because of policy. He asked how old she thought he was and she guessed 26. Then he asked how old she thought I was and she guessed 23.

He was 23 and I was about a month from turning 30.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      I never get carded. Of course, I don't buy alcohol, so that might have something to do with it.
                      Ditto.

Comment

I got a margarita the other day and wasn't carded, but I drink probably twice a year and usually that's over at a family member's house.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

The first time I bought alcohol, I didn't get carded. I was upset. And then I bought the same thing a week later and got carded. Then I went to a liquor store with my friend Jason and he got carded. He's 27. I didn't.

I don't even drink, I was buying the alcohol for my mother. But I did wonder if I look old. And here I thought I look young for my age.

Comment

The very first time I ever bought alcohol at a store, I didn't get carded, and if my mom hadn't been there, I would have thrown a fit.

I rarely if ever buy alcohol....I almost always get booze at a bar and drink it there, and I tend to stick to my favorite bar, and I only get carded by the newbie bouncers. I don't throw a fit about it, but there's a lot of regulars who don't carry ID on them who will throw a fit.

I go to the same two gas stations every week for ciggs....and it's always the same people working, so I never get carded there....unless it's a rare day where someone else is working. And now that I have a wallet in my purse, it's even easier to show ID...not that I ever had an issue with it.

It makes me feel young to be carded. I'm self conscious enough as it is.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth SorryIsGoodEnough View Post
                              The first time I bought alcohol, I didn't get carded. I was upset.
                              My first "legal" drink, I got carded...but I was with my parents, which kinda took the fun out of it...

When I turned 21, I was at school, and my birthday was during the week. My big "celebration" was taking the night off work. The following weekend was fall break, so my friends and I went out the weekend before, so I couldn't even order anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X