This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not rude...

...to not offer to share food, a'ight? Just a random rant, it's not really about work, it happens in a lot of different places.

Basic scenario. I'm at work having lunch or sitting somewhere out and eating and whatever, and someone gets nosy about what I'm having and after being told, go "Ohhhhh, can I have a bite?"

First of all, I only have the one spoon, so ew.

Second of all, MY FOOD GET YOUR OWN.

Third and most important of all, I inherited Cajun blood. My father eats habanero peppers like chips, has eaten a Red Savina without drinking water or anything; we both have a favorite brand of habanero cheese that we tear through as soon as it's in the house, and if his daughter (moi) can figure out a way to cram cayenne pepper into ANYTHING, she will. Every year for Christmas just about I end up getting him a box of various degrees of warmth, the mildest of which was some kind of Chipotle. We both sampled and brushed off as "bland" a hot sauce that sent my big tough monster of a cousin wheezing red-faced to shove his face under the sink. (It was called Satan's Asshole or something like that, if you're curious. I don't recommend it. Warm but yucky.)

What that averages out to mean is that most of the time, what I'm eating is potentially TOXIC to your average human. So if I don't give you a bite, it's not to be mean, I am concerned for your SAFETY. The fact that my dirty rice has stained a stainless steel spoon is a sign that something is amiss.

Seriously, especially when you've told me in the past that you don't like spicy food and I'm telling you my food is VERY SPICY, don't try to be tough and say you can take it. I'm trying to help you. Don't make me forget myself and give you some. I suppose I can always wash the spoon.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

I agree, actually. I'm not a hypochondriac, but the idea of sharing a plate with someone outside my family? Ew.

On the topic of picante:
    That's not ketchup.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Speaking of cayenne pepper:

When I was pregnant with Child Rum and was in my last trimester, I started to crave spicy things. One of the things I craved was cayenne pepper.

I'd sprinkle it on my over easy eggs. I'd sprinkle it on the chicken I'd cook. When I made hash browns, it'd be sprinkled on that. I'd carry a bottle in my purse and cover my MickeyD's french fries with it.

On a side note: I hate cayenne peper. Before and after pregnancy. I won't eat it.

It was the weirdest thing I craved.

Comment

MystyGlyttyr, I don't get people who will walk up to someone and want a bite of what they are eating. EWWW!

I will and do share my food with my husband and my children, but everyone else is out of luck.
        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

When I was younger, my 'rents thought it "cute" to snatch food off my plate They dared not do ths to my brother)....I now fiercly protect my dish. I had a friend (a friend no more) who would stick her fingers in what ever dressing was in my salad,,,,and she was offened when I called her vile.

Unless we are exchanging bodily fluids or have my permission....do NOT touch the Cat's food
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

That is disgusting, not to mention rude. Who DOES that? (i.e., asking for a bite of someone's food, there is not a damn thing wrong with spicy food)!
            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

My friends and I couldn't figure out why we kept getting sick last fall/winter.....

All we had done for months when we went out together was share food, share cigarettes, share alcohol....and yes I mean two or three of us sharing a cigarette, sharing a drink (same straw) and all nibbling off of the same plate.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have the opposite happen to me. I don't like it when people ask me if I want some of their food.

There is a lady at work that wants to give everybody her leftovers after lunch. One time I walked into the break room and she jumped up and immediately shoved some pizza at me. Now this pizza looked disgusting and like it had been sitting in her fridge for days.

Comment

Eww!

Exception being the sharing of fries.

See, what you do is ask exactly what they're having, ask about ingredients (when they aren't, like, actually in the process of eating it), and make your own.
                  "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

You would have shared with Rey

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                      You would have shared with Rey
                      You kidding? He has three kids including a preteen boy and a newborn, and hangs out with wrestlers. He's probably a carrier for some low level of ebola at this point.

Now, Matt Hardy on the other hand... I shall risk it.
                      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                        You kidding? He has three kids including a preteen boy and a newborn, and hangs out with wrestlers. He's probably a carrier for some low level of ebola at this point.

Now, Matt Hardy on the other hand... I shall risk it.
                        hahahahahaha. I'd share anything with Maryse.

Just need to find a way to dispose of Miz.

Comment

It is one thing to ask to try someone's food. Depending on how well you know them, that is either slightly rude or not at all rude.

To actually stick your paws in someone else's food without asking?

Let me just say I have several friends and acquaintances who have learned the hard way not to do that with my food. And yes, they have the fork stab marks to remind them of why that's a bad idea.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                            Speaking of cayenne pepper:

When I was pregnant with Child Rum and was in my last trimester, I started to crave spicy things. One of the things I craved was cayenne pepper.

On a side note: I hate cayenne peper. Before and after pregnancy. I won't eat it.

It was the weirdest thing I craved.
                            I did almost the same. I usually am all boring and like my food only very mildly spicy, but when pregnant, I wanted very very spicy mexican food. Then and only then. (And I was in search of the perfect hot fudge sundae from my childhood all thru pregnancy, but that's another story)

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I have ...issues...with food and I don't like to share. If someone I know wants a taste, I try to give them a bite with a clean fork. Sharing utensils...just no. I rarely ask for a taste of someone else's food, or even accept if they offer. Though I've never had anyone be offended by my refusing.

As for spicy, Mysty, rest assured that, should we ever meet, I will not be asking for a taste of whatever you have to eat...
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X