This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease renewal - halp!

I’m about to renew my lease and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was standard that the leasing office re-verifies employment of their tenants during a lease renewal.

I only ask because I’m about to renew my lease but I’m quitting my job – my last day is the 15th. Now, I’m not living paycheck to paycheck – I never was – so I have more than enough money to cover rent until April when I get my MA certification and can get a new job. I do plan on finding part time work in the meantime but even without it I will be able to pay the rent. As long as they’re getting their money, I see no reason to tell them. However, if they do verify employment on lease renewal I may be SOL. On the other hand I don’t want to tell them if I don’t have to because I’m not sure if they’ll allow me to renew the lease if I’m not employed – and I’d be SOL.

Again, money is no issue here. Even without a job at the moment I still will be able to pay rent. So what should I do? Should I not bother telling them at all or prove that I can cover rent until April even without employment?

I've never had an apt complex ask to re-verify my employment on renewing the lease. So long as you've been paying your rent on time and haven't been a PITA tenant I can't imagine they'd ask.
    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Apparently they ARE asking though. And sometimes that can be the policy of a particular management company.

My suggestion? Renew your lease ASAP so they run your employment verification ASAP so that it shows that you are, in fact, still employed.

Beyond that, if they have any questions, just let them know the truth. If you have the money and can prove it, I don't see a problem.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Leasing person to the rescue!

I seriously doubt it, because:

1. that policy would have to be stated in your lease or community policies somewhere.

2. if the policy changed during your tenancy they are required to give every tenant notice either individually or by posting the policy change in common areas that everyone would see (laundry room or mailboxes for example)

3. Fair Housing Policy- if they don't check everybody every time then they are breaking the law. Not state. FEDERAL LAW. Fair housing should also mean that they cannot ask you anything like your employment since you have already been approved.

4. Every mgmt company I have ever worked for has a proviso in their approval policy for those that do not work. For those that are on Social Security, 3rd party payors, trust funds, etc. need to show with a bank statement or tax return that they have the money to pay the rent. Again, once that is done, unless they recheck everybody every year, they cannot recheck you.

5. They aren't going to re-verify squat for free. When you applied that's what your application fee covers: verification of credit, employment, legal status, income, rental history, and whether or not you are an unconvicted axe murderer. Credit and criminal checks are done via some outside company that charges per report. The rest of the money is used to cover supplies and man hours etc. to verify employment, income and rental history. Unless they hit you up with a bill for a processing fee of some kind, I really wouldn't sweat it.

If you want to know whether or not something like that is legal then Google "Landlord Tenant Laws (your state)" and see what you find. Also look at the Fair housing laws both federal and state. Hell, I'm usually not busy and Jester can attest I can find housing laws pretty damn easily, PM the state you're in and I'll look it up for you.

Seriously though, I really really REALLY doubt they are going to do that, so relax, m'kay?

"I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies. I renewed my lease yesterday and there was no renewal fee so it looks like I'm in the clear! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X