This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, my gods!

I need to write this, to tell anyone who'll listen. It'll be filled with hopelessness, deadly invective, and a bizarre mystery.

Roughly a week ago, my roommate calls me out to the living room, late at night, to tell me she fell at work, and now her left leg and arm are numb, and she's almost constantly dizzy. She tells me she did NOT inform her supervisor of the fall, under the apparently mistaken impression that her job does NOT have workman's comp (a fact my sister in law, who works in workman's comp, disputes).
    So, I'm automatically worried, as those're signs of a stroke to me. After some hemming and hawing, I finally convince her to let me take her to the hospital, although she constantly tries to get me distracted, she needs juice, she needs to leave a note for the other roommate, would I write it please? Take out 'stroke-like symptoms', you'll just worry her... Eventually, though, I do get her out to the car, and on our way to the hospital where other roommate works. Only to wait about six or seven hours before she gets admitted to the 'overnight' ward. Overnight turns into three days, as they run every sort of 'stroke-related' blood test they can think of. The doctor releases her, saying, "There's nothing more I can do, but I want you to follow up at this free health care clinic, for blood work with results that are pending."
    Excuse me? You're releasing her before you know what's wrong?
    We get her home, it's late (somewhere around 11 PM) she goes to bed.

The next morning, she can hardly walk short distances without falling to the ground. And, seeing as nurse roommie is going out of town for the weekend, I get really scared, I'm in no shape to take care of her all weekend alone. Not with the falling, so I eventually get her to go back to the hospital with me.
    They readmit her, again, 'over night' for vertigo related issues, and dehydration. Fun, but she'd been on an IV drip the entire time she was there previously. But, whatever. Sunday rolls around, nurse roommie finally calls me back, asks what's up, I update her, and head home after a 9 hour shift that day (of sitting there, watching roommie's television, and watching her sleep, or eat...)

Monday, nurse roommie works, and she checks up on roommie, and gets told by a nurse on that floor that they're concerned since roommie doesn't have someone there to watch over her 24/7. No shit? Of course she doesn't, we're not family, just roommates. Her family's in TX, we're in OK. Nurse roommie has a job to go to, daily, and I have a life and a short fuse for hospital visits.

Anyway, nurse roommie says, upon return home, that roommie has been upgraded to high fall risk. Lovely, says I. Couple hours later, we get a call from roommie that she's being released, they can't find anything wrong, so go home.

Uh?

Nurse roommie, future roommie, and I, pile into my car and go to pick her up. She worries on our way out that she lost her prescription and work release forms, so she needs to go back and get them. She heads in, alone, from the far side of the hospital, while I sit idle in the pick up dock, blocking traffic, and loitering. Roommie's cell phone was disconnected for nonpayment, so we have no way of knowing why she's taking so long, is she lost, what have you. Eventually, she returns, no papers in hand, saying nurse roommie can pick them up tomorrow.

We go home, future roommie heads home for the night, nurse roommie goes to bed, I head to my room to hit up some WoW, and hear roommie stand up, but no footsteps. I poke my head out into the hall, and see roommie standing there, swaying back and forth. "Roommie? You okay?" I call. No answer. So I get up and go out to her, and repeat my question. Still no answer, so I shake her shoulder, amd she slumps back into the chair behind her, nurse roommie apparently hears that and comes running, five or ten minutes later, we three are packed into my car again, headed to a different hospital.

This hospital emergency room sends all the resident nurses in to get her story, as its apparently really bizarre. 3 AM Tuesday morning, roommie gets admitted at a second hospital. Nurse roommie and I go home, nurse roommie having gotten the day off, as her coworkers are all as confused and scared as we are.

NR and I spend the day doing errands, to her hospital, to roommie's job with work release note, to various places unrelated. She gets a call from roommie, they're releasing her, and have scheduled a tentative appointment with an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor, to be done outside the hospital. Plus, a few prescriptions to be filled soon...

Roommie and I pile into the car today to get her to the free clinic hospital number 1 referred her to. We get there, we wait, she gets called in to get her information as a new patient. They tell her she might be seen today, but no guarantees... she goes over to the window, signs in, gets called back, and asked about her situation, the secretary apparently called her boss to see if they could see her today, gets the okay, roommie comes back out and waits with me. Five minutes later, she gets called back again, only to be told the doctor nixed any possibility of seeing her today. Roommie comes back out in tears, we get up to leave, roommie slumps against the wall as we walk out, another secretary sees this and calls out, from across the room, "Are you okay?"

I barely hold back from snapping, "No, she's not okay! She's been in and out of hospitals all last week, and the doctor just said, 'Not today! Make an appointment for a week from now, and if anything happens in the mean time, go back to the ER' ! Meanwhile, her two roommates are scared out of their minds that something terrible will happen to her in her sleep, and her parents are showing no concern about it!"

I do say, "No, she's not okay... she needs medicine, and she doesn't have the money to get it filled. The doctor told us if anything happens between now and her appointment, to take her back to the ER, where she'll just get admitted for a day, and the doctor will throw up her hands and go, 'IDK, my BFF, Jill?', basically."

Secretary hands me some information about a nearby clinic that might at least be able to fill her scripts for her. We drive there, only to find out they're closed for August. But here's another place to try to get her scripts filled. I call, and they're right at the cut off for taking in scripts for the day. So, no go there.

We head home, and I nearly get rear-ended as I'm attempting to merge out of the lane that's fast dwindling to nothing, going the construction zone speed limit of 55, by a truck going 70. I avoided it, luckily.

Then, to top it all off, nurse roommie's GPS box starts giving me bizarre directions, not liking it when I take the detour around the construction. And then, my car starts pinging the 'low fuel' light at me. I'm running out of money, and it's not even the 15th!
    "I call murder on that!"

Is your friend a heavy drinker?

I ask this because I have a somewhat similar story.

My friend, C, who's been a lifetime alcoholic, was having tingles in his legs and hands. Both sides. (that kind of rules out stroke there). I took him to hither and yon, finally to an ER, who saw him.

They administered a banana bag to him, after questioning, and gave him scripts for daily vitamins & magnesium.

Reason?
    Alcohol is nasty to your body. When you don't eat, your body needs nutrition to function, yes? It stripmines the body for what it needs. He (C ) was foregoing food for booze. Yes, that's heavy duty. His body was so low on some nutrition, it wasn't functioning well.

He's now recovering, taking his vitamins, eating better, and has been sober for over a week. (In his universe, that's pretty good.) I'm proud of him.

Another thing to look at is diabetes. Diabetic neuropathy - damage to the general nervous system, by diabetes, causing tingles in legs and hands etc.

Is it only her left arm and leg?
    Did her ER visits include a general neuro test? (this includes following finger movements, touching nose to hand rapidly, thumb to fingers back and forth...)
    You've said she has had blood tests. Did they do a Tox screen also?

Bitch at the next doctor for a CAT Scan and EEG. It almost sounds like seizures. (No, they don't have to be fish flopping to be seizures.) Has this JUST started with the fall @ work, or is she hiding info? (epilepsy has a stigma, still )

Have her drink gatorade, diluted (half water half gatorade) for the next few days to make sure she stays hydrated. (We had a heat wave here, my friend C was also told this)

When you've got a hold of the low-income clinic, one of you write out a timeline and list of the symptoms. Include food intake, fluids, behavior....everything you can think of. Bring that in.

I'm not a doc. I'm a person who's been through lots of crap in my life. I wish you both well, and please, GET THE SUPERVISOR INFORMED AND INVOLVED!!

Good luck
    Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

That's just awful! I hope someone can figure out what's wrong with your Roomie, because those are some really scary symptoms. I don't think I would have been as calm as you. I'm pretty sure I would have started a scene.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Is your friend a heavy drinker?
        Nope, no smoking, no drinking, no drugs, no medications
        Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Another thing to look at is diabetes.
        Yeah, we're not entirely sure what they tested her for, but we suggested that at some point.
        Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Is it only her left arm and leg?
        Did her ER visits include a general neuro test? (this includes following finger movements, touching nose to hand rapidly, thumb to fingers back and forth...)
        You've said she has had blood tests. Did they do a Tox screen also?
        In order: To the best of my knowledge, along with the dizziness; At the second hospital, I saw her do that; and not to my knowledge.
        Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Bitch at the next doctor for a CAT Scan and EEG. It almost sounds like seizures.
        CT scan was done... EEG was supposed to be at the second hospital, but they canceled it in favor of her going to see the ENT doctor outside the hospital. Which is going to cost her $200 roughly, money she doesn't really have right now, cause of the not working and the rent she owes and all sorts of stuff like that.
        Jedi: I didn't start a scene because it was NOT the secretary's fault, obviously.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Wow, that is just scary.

I really hope that your Roomie is able to find out what's wrong.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

She's getting worse... her episodes where she kind of blacks out and can't remember it later, she's started to gain eye movements as well, which was our first major clue originally that she was coming out of it... she would be able to look at us... now she can switch her gaze between the two of us, sitting on opposite sides of her, and she's slowly gaining the ability to move in limited amounts during these episodes, too... I'm scared.

I should point out, she's having odd mood swings, too... she'll be fine for a short while, then suddenly start crying and whimpering, "I shouldn't be like this... I shouldn't be limping..." etc...
            Last edited by Imogene; 08-13-2009, 05:34 AM. Reason: More info
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

She's got to go to a hospital, and demand the EEG.
              If she's having problems that are VISIBLE to you and other people - this is too much.

I'd point at seizures. Blacking out? (complex sz) Mood swings? (complex sz).

Log this stuff. Please! Log the times she's feeling wonky. Log the dates this started.
              And get on the horn in the AM and get a doctor..this week.

Cutenoob

IDEA: Can you video tape any of this? With phone camera?
              Last edited by Der Cute; 08-13-2009, 05:53 AM. Reason: added idea

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                IDEA: Can you video tape any of this? With phone camera?
                Not to my knowledge...
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Yeah, that definitely sounds like seizure activity to me, Juwl. Cute has a good idea - try to find a camera or a phone or something where you can video what happens...sound would be helpful too. You can also make noise about a second opinion at the hospital - any reputable doctor would gladly refer you to someone who can give you a second opinion.

Seizures can be dangerous. She needs to be thoroughly checked out - a complete neurological workup. I don't know if she has a car, but DON'T let her drive. That sounds pretty obvious, but you can't be too careful.
                  Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

This all started after her fall at work, correct? I don't know where you're located, Juwl, or what the laws are like there, but at my old job, if someone had an injury at work and didn't report it the same day, their medical bills would still be paid for by worker's comp even if they don't go to the hospital until a day or a few days later. You said you have a SIL who works with worker's comp...what kind of info can she give you about this? At my job, EVERYTHING THAT YOUR ROOMIE HAS GONE THROUGH AT THIS POINT including ER visits, CAT scans, RX fills, etc etc etc would be covered by worker's comp so she wouldn't have to worry about any of the medical expenses if she is able to file for it.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                      You said you have a SIL who works with worker's comp...what kind of info can she give you about this?
                      She's always said that, if you didn't report it immediately, she was denying the claim...
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Even if that's the case, I'd file anyway.
                        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Even if an injury is reported a week or month after the incident, IT STILL COUNTS!
                          Do NOT let this slide.

If your friend is having seizures - which I think she is - get her to the ER. Ask specifically for a neurologist (why were they referring her to an ENT? ear nose throat??). LIST ALL THE ACTIVITIES YOU'RE SEEING. All of them.

Get an MRI and EEG and if you can, TAPE HER ACTIVITIES.

When she comes out of a black spell, ask her if she knows the date. Month. President. What's the address? See how disoriented she is. LOG IT.
                          How coordinated is she? Can she "know" to do something, and do it smoothly? Like make bowl of cereal? Go to the mailbox and get the mail?

Giraffe is correct, no driving, and until there's some control...supervision. Get her family involved, you're gonna need more help. I'd also suggest TAKING BATHS NOT SHOWERS FOR NOW.

Seizures can be started by many things. Tumors, aneurisms, cysts, brain injury (fall, serious thwack on the head, bullets), swelling of the brain, fevers and such.

Epilepsy, itself, is the disease/illness of "having more than 3 or 4 seizures total, with a cause behind them" aka brain injury, causing person to have seizures.
                          Epilepsy can be controlled. It's not a great thing to have (I've got it) but it's not a death sentence either.

I will say that brains can be damaged by the sz itself - if they're uncontrolled for a long amt of time. 2 or 3 zaps- nah, no biggy. (also does depend on the location of the seizures!) but this isn't something to fuck around with.

If your friend has questions, have her email me if she wants.
                          Also go check out efa.org.

Good luck guys.
                          Cutenoob

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            She's always said that, if you didn't report it immediately, she was denying the claim...
                            Yeah, I'm calling B.S. on this one. There were a number of times at my old job where someone would get hurt toward the end of their shift or even in the middle of their shift, and didn't think it was bad until the next day or a few days later when the injury didn't start to get better/started to get worse. Also, what does she do in the case of long-term muscle strain? We had a warehouse at my last job (which is where most of our worker's comp injuries came from) and the employees would have to constantly reach above their heads to get products. Some employees developed shoulder problems from repeated motion over and over and over again for years on end. It would start out that their shoulder or back or neck would get sore, but not sore enough that they thought anything of it. But after a few days, or weeks, or months, of the soreness not getting better and, in fact, getting worse, to the point that they couldn't reach products above their heads anymore, they would eventually see a dr. about it who would tell them it was muscle strain (or whatever the correct term is) due to the repeated motion of reaching above their heads. THEN they would report it to worker's comp. Would your SIL deny those claims, too, because the employee didn't report the very first sign of soreness, which may have started months ago?

I would definitely check into this further. If your roommie's place of employment has an H.R. department (who doesn't?) try checking with them. Someone where she works has to handle worker's comp claims, even if they don't have a dedicated H.R. Our H.R. did all of our worker's comp claims and our H.R. manager was very knowledgeable in what counted and what didn't. Basically, anything that happened on company grounds counted. We had a case once where an employee got hit (by a car) in the parking lot by another employee. Both of them were off-duty, I believe, but since it happened in OUR parking lot, the employee who got injured got worker's comp for it. (for the record, she was okay. She broke her foot and couldn't drive for a while but otherwise she was fine.)

I'm sorry you and your friends are going through all this, and I second (or third or fourth or whatever it is at this point) the idea of getting the family involved as much as possible.

Comment

Short update, I guess: ENT is Ear, Nose, Throat, yes, sorry about that... that hospital thought she might have an inner ear infection or Minyurs (sp?) disease... they wanted those ruled out, but couldn't get the specialist to see her at the hospital...

Also, her mom, when Roomie (Primus, I think I originally dubbed her) got her on the phone, had no helpful advice, her Dad though said to call 911 if she fell again... and to check her for diabetes or inner ear infection.

So, the big story? She had one of her zone outs tonight while Secundus was talking to her, and then she fell in the hallway, so I got to call 911 for her, and the paramedics were talking to her, and she didn't remember falling, she didn't remember us calling... none of that, so, off to third hospital she and I go. At the speed limit, no traffic laws broken... I call Secundus and give her the address, then sit down in the waiting room to do just that, and read... (Inkheart, for those curious)
                              Secundus gets to third hospital, finds me, and asks for a update. "I've heard nothing." Fun... Secundus just walks into the triage, finds Primus, and gives her her emergency bag that was packed, and says, basically, "You're on your own now. You're not leaving in our care until you can walk on your own. That, or your parents have to come get you." And then she went and told the doctor the same thing. So, Primus is most likely going to be moving back to Texas... or is going to get over her bizarre virus...
                              I had no choice but to go along with Secundus, as she had a car at the hospital and I did not.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X