This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
    because it's a BBQ joint usually ignored by the folks at Food Network.
    Duff(Ace of Cakes) stopped at Gates while driving one of the big hollywood cakes cross-country.
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
      I hear the really cool southern thing to do is to pull the tail off, eat the meat out of that, and then to suck the brains and other entrails out through the torso? Yum! Apparently the brains are salty (didn't go there).
      But sucking brains...um, no thank you.
      I am not a Southerner, but I am extraordinarily cool, as witnessed by the fact that I have done this. It is awesome. And gives new meaning to the phrase "suck it up"!!!!

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
      He's jealous of Adam's mad eatin skills.
      Adam is my HERO!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
        Duff(Ace of Cakes) stopped at Gates while driving one of the big hollywood cakes cross-country.
        You thought I was talking about that nasty pile of dry beef that Gates tries to pass as BBQ? No, my friend, Anthony Bourdain gave that honor to Oklahoma Joe's, without question the finest BBQ in Kansas City. Arthur Bryant's and Gates are tourist traps; very few locals frequent them.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My grandmother used to cook lobster by putting them in a pot of cold water and then turn on the fire. Was freaky cause the thing would pound on the lid until the water finally boiled it's brains. I used to get a kick out of my aunt when she cooked them though, cause she'd toss them in and they scream. And she'd tell us they're not screaming that's just air escaping. Umm ok so if we jumped into a pot of boiling water that would just be air escaping my lungs when I screamed
          Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
          Lobster tails frozen are going for $17/lb here in the Land of 10k lakes...
          Around here using frozen lobster means you're going to hell. It's gotta be live to use it, and good lobster means getting it off the dock.
          "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
            My dad used to say the same thing about the "air escaping"... still can't be in the kitchen when they're going into the pot.
            Now that would be one of the reasons I went veg. But even when I ate meat I didn't like lobster, though shrimp was one of my favorite foods, and still tempts me.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

As much as everyone loves lobster, I still say crab is the best thing to ever come out of the sea. Seriously, give me crab over lobster any day. Mmmm.....crab.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Oklahoma Joe's, without question the finest BBQ in Kansas City.
                Concur. Probably the best burnt end sammich I've ever had. (Like fett at an Italian place, burnt end is my "touchstone" for how good a bbq joint is. Many try, few succeed.)

re. Man v. Food Chicago. Gino's East and Al's, definitely!!! Never even heard of Lucky's though - a little too far north for me.

re. Crawfish. Weren't there t-shirts in the Eighties with "Suck the Heads, Eat the Tails" on the front and a crawfish on the back?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  Concur. Probably the best burnt end sammich I've ever had. (Like fett at an Italian place, burnt end is my "touchstone" for how good a bbq joint is. Many try, few succeed.)
                  Well, I'm still a Southern gal at heart, so I still get a pulled pork sandwich (no coleslaw) when it's available. And the folks at OK Joe's do it almost as good as the folks in Memphis.
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Mr Slugger View Post
                    My grandmother used to cook lobster by putting them in a pot of cold water and then turn on the fire. Was freaky cause the thing would pound on the lid until the water finally boiled it's brains. I used to get a kick out of my aunt when she cooked them though, cause she'd toss them in and they scream. And she'd tell us they're not screaming that's just air escaping. Umm ok so if we jumped into a pot of boiling water that would just be air escaping my lungs when I screamed

Around here using frozen lobster means you're going to hell. It's gotta be live to use it, and good lobster means getting it off the dock.
                    I can get live lobster at a supermarket down the road but due to my locale (Minnesota, nowhere near an ocean) they want something like $25/lb for a live one.

I have had fresh live lobster and my own 'from frozen' and both tasted the same aside from the seasoning.

Besides it is kind of nice to have a couple tails in the freezer just in case we decide to throw a grilling party or when we go to parties. I just need to thaw the tails two days in advance.
                    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      As much as everyone loves lobster, I still say crab is the best thing to ever come out of the sea. Seriously, give me crab over lobster any day. Mmmm.....crab.
                      Definitely. I've had both side-by-side (oh, delicious seafood sample platter), and I'll always prefer crab legs.

Those are fun to eat, too. Though i'm a little sick and might make them dance to Under the Sea.
                      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                      X