This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the first? (no movie spoilers)

...its a shock...but I've been off the forums for a few weeks...and may of missed it. But has anyone posted aout the new GI joe movie yet?

I've seen it twice since it came out...and LOVED it. The got the actors fairly good, and learned through a friend that Ray Parks (snake eyes) got to do almost all his own stunts (save for what was blatently CGI).

Course the chase scene through Paris, was the best scene in the movie.

Any thoughts?
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

honestly didn't really care for it. It was weird, there is zero buildup or backstory you just go right into the action and pretty much don't stop. I like action movies but this movie really needed to slow down and give us some time to know the characters. I didn't get into to the action scenes because all of the characters had 0 backstory and I didn't get to care about them at all.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

i thought it would've been a decent sequel

what would've been better is an origin story - how the organization GI JOE started
      To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
      my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard the Baroness has no accent in it. This I cannot forgive.

The Baroness was my first love, I can tolerate no marring of her image.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
          This I cannot forgive.
          Baroness was awesome. One of the first kick-ass female villains I admired growing up. But the accent simply must be there...

I'll wait til it comes out on DVD. I've heard it's a good movie to watch if you just want to shut off your brain and watch shit get blown up. I had my doubts when I found out a Wayans was in it, but I've heard he's actually tolerable.

I've seen the toy of Cobra Commander and don't really know what to think. I mean, the metal mask was badass, even if it may have made it impossible for him to see anything (or breathe). Never cared for the hood. But now he sort of looks like Darth Vader meets Freddy Krueger with dome on his head. Not very intimidating. And never seeing his face just added to the mystery of the character. Plus, deep down, you always wanted to see his face but knew in your heart that you would be disappointed because underneath he was just an ordinary guy.
          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

geek alert:

one episode from the orginal 1980s series actually shows his face under the mask, I remember it well...whats it look like? almost snake like due to a lab accident that started him on his evil path.

end geek alert
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I didn't like it. Primarily for what they did to the Baroness! I mean come on! Her accent, the backstory. None of it was true to the source material. There's more to my anger but I don't want to give spoilers. I just can't forgive some of the things they did in that movie. Just awful.

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                I didn't like it. Primarily for what they did to the Baroness! I mean come on! Her accent, the backstory. None of it was true to the source material.
                It's like what they did to Dragonball. They totally screwed everything up in the live-action movie!

Comment

Quoth Ratha View Post
                  It's like what they did to Dragonball. They totally screwed everything up in the live-action movie!
                  I didn't see Dragonball, and from what I saw in the trailers I wasn't gonna like it anyway.

Comment

Quoth Ratha View Post
                    Actually aside from what they did to Yamcha I found the dragonball movie to be rather entertaining. I mean Roshi was a perv and Bulma was annoying so they got those parts right.
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

... I haven't been able to make myself go see it... every time I hear about it I feel like my childhood is being raped... LOL. Too dramatic, but I'm just getting burnt out on all the remakes of the series I loved when I was going up... seems like every remake gets worse. ^_^ Glad you liked it though, maybe I'll try and go see it with the Nephew....
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

Yeah...a friend of mine asked me to go see it, and I kind of hemmed and hawed something about "let's see" and hope he forgot. I never watched GI Joe as a kid, tending to prefer Care Bears, My Little Pony, and the like. Besides, our local movie theatre is kind of pricy, and I want to save my cash to go see Inglourious Basterds this weekend!!!
                        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I watched it, I liked that it avoided the tedious 90 minutes of boring-ass backstory and just told what you needed to know through flashbacks (show, don't tell: the good movie-makers mantra). I wasn't fond of who becomes Cobra Commander, nor of the tying together of Baroness's backstory.

However, I gotta say: who CARES where the Joes organization started, or why. That's like asking for a movie about the Marines to include a backstory about how they were formed. It's a multi-national co-operative military endeavour. That's some riveting stuff. The endless negotiations over operational costs, picking a base? Woo.... No, throwing you in to the action was the way to go.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Just back from it. Won't work for purists, but I've never really got to grips with the original storyline other than two sides fighting on a regular basis.

Turn off your brain, revel in the special effects, and eat your popcorn. It's enjoyable if you do that.

Lots of boomies!

Rapscallion

Comment

lots of boomies ^_^.....and the actor who played Duke wasn't bad looking...

And Dennis Quaid KICKED ASS in his roll (ok...he got his ass handed to him...but he really did look the part)

Comment

Working...
                              X