This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on potential restaurant suckage

There's a little Mexican place in my town that I frequent. It's probably a couple notches higher on the quality and atmosphere scale than, say, a Don Pablos or similar chain restaurant.

Several months ago I was in there for lunch. (bill came out to somewhere around $20 with appetizer, main course and tip) A couple brought in two kids with them, around age 10 - 12. The one kid was very well-behaved (downright refreshing, compared to some of the little horrors I've seen in restaurants, movie theatres, etc.) but the other kid I think had Tourettes or something similar.

Every minute or two he would yell "bah!" or something to that effect. Involuntary, as far as I could tell. The folks with him - couldn't tell if they were parents, caretakers or something else - tried to get him to settle down when he got excessively loud, but the noise continued the entire time I was there.

I didn't say anything (I love this restaurant, and wouldn't start any shit with them... plus I dated a woman whose son was autistic, so I can certainly understand having patience with people who have any sort of disability) and I don't believe any other customers said anything.

The question is - would you consider these people to be sucky for bringing a "disruptive" child (albeit not doing so on purpose) to a decent restaurant? I've also been to a movie theatre where a fellow brought in a guy in a wheelchair who was considerably louder than the aforementioned 12 year old. (fortunately it was a rather loud action movie, so the music/sound effects pretty much drowned him out) I realize handicapped/disabled people should have every opportunity to be out in public like everyone else... but at what point does it become sucky behaviour?

(I've since started wearing my Creative Zen to restaurants when I'm by myself, anyway, to filter everyone else out)

Interested to hear opinions.

An Haddock

Quoth An Haddock View Post

The question is - would you consider these people to be sucky for bringing a "disruptive" child (albeit not doing so on purpose) to a decent restaurant?

<snip>

I realize handicapped/disabled people should have every opportunity to be out in public like everyone else.

And?...

I don't see anything sucky with them.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

No suck at all. The parents/caregivers at least tried to keep the child under control.

These things will happen in a society that believes people with conditions like Tourette's should have the opportunity to be out in public and do things like anybody else can. And I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The only way such a thing would be sucky would be if the behavior was not involuntary. Parents not disciplining an unruly child or ignoring a screaming baby is sucky. Parents trying to calm down a child who is affected by involuntary behavior is in no way sucky. Possibly annoying, but not sucky. What would you have them do? Not ever go out to a nice place to eat?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          What would you have them do? Not ever go out to a nice place to eat?
          My parents hired "baby" sitters for the rare occasions that they would go out.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            My parents hired "baby" sitters for the rare occasions that they would go out.
            And if your parents wanted to have a nice family dinner out at a family type restaurant?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

We have a very recent thread along these lines at Fratching.

I'd like to think that we could have a friendly chat about this kind of thing here at CS, but it rarely happens. Please take the debate to Fratching. Thanks.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
              X