Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I HAVE to have some sort of recourse here, but what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a long post already typed out when I read you post on why you left this job:
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=52361

The post is now much shorter:
    Find a lawyer. ASAP. A lot of them will give a free consultation and take their fees from the proceeds. They should find Stacy's assault accusations interesting.

As for what to put on your job applications, try this on for size:
    I left <Furniture Store> voluntarily when Management tried to get me involved in a situation that I felt might make me party to a law suit. As there may be legal actions pending, I would prefer you not contact them.

I believe this statement to be 100% accurate.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but if by his remarks he is impinging on your livelihood / ability to be gainfully employed , then you would have valid reason for a lawsuit. This is one reason that most employers will flat out refuse to act as a reference even if you are the best thing since sliced bread; they are too afraid of litigation so they consider it best to say absolutely nothing at all other than "Yes he / she was employed here." You mentioned that you were employed at a chain store - I wonder what the lawyers at corporate would think of him if they knew he was going to be the subject of a lawsuit like this?
      Testing
      "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Do *NOT* have a friend call and ask for a reference. Speak with your attorney, and get him to have an investigator do it. This might make the difference between having evidence that can be used in court or having it thrown out by a judge.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Do *NOT* have a friend call and ask for a reference. Speak with your attorney, and get him to have an investigator do it. This might make the difference between having evidence that can be used in court or having it thrown out by a judge.
          Excellent point. The only thing a friend calling could do would be to let you know if these guys are jerking you around. But if you are going for the legal angle, it would be better to have evidence.

That being said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with having a friend call so you know if you have a case. That call would not be admissible as evidence, in all likelihood (though it might), but it could tell you what you need to know, it would give a lawyer's investigator something to go on, and frankly, it wouldn't exactly tip off your former bosses that you were on to them and/or pursuing legal action.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Giving a start date and then doing a check which could result in withdrawing the offer? That's just asking for a lawsuit (not to mention being sleazy). What happens in the case where an applicant waits until they have a firm offer (with start date) before giving notice at their previous employer? If that offer is then withdrawn, leaving the applicant unemployed, the company that withdrew the offer could wind up on the hook for lost wages until they get another job, since by making the offer they induced the person to quit their previous job.
            In Pennsylvania ten years ago, you were SOL. It happened to me. I was denied unemployment compensation because they felt I didn't try hard enough to get my old job back. I did try, but the company wouldn't rehire anyone who quit, period. The new company who had hired me but canceled at the last minute was liable for nothing. (They'd hired someone who could start a week sooner, didn't tell me till the day after I'd served my two weeks notice with the original company, 12 hours before I was to start the new job with them. They knew I was serving out that two weeks notice.) As far as I know, that's still the case here.

Comment

You should check with the labor board, but I'm not sure the law says what you think it says. There is certain information that former employers are required to supply, and most give only that information and no more, no matter what they're asked.

However, if the furniture store lied about you and you failed to obtain a job as a result, then you should talk to a lawyer. A letter from a lawyer could at least scare them into stopping the backstabbing behavior.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
              X