X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Sitting

This weekend I am babysitting an egg.

My Aunt owns chickens... God only knows why. Anyway, something attacked one of her hen's nest and killed all but one lonely little egg. Whatever happened was so traumatic that the hen has gone insane and has decided one of the other grown chickens is her baby and refuses to sit on the nest.

Okay, truthfully, we don't know yet if this egg is 'alive'. My Aunt had to go out of town for the weekend.

So... here I am with my incubator and my egg. I turn it once every few hours and I'm keeping him at the right temp. Honestly, I hope the chicken lives and just doesn't hatch this weekend.

I have absolutely zero idea what to do with a baby chicken.

Although I'm betting keeping the cat away from it is Rule #1.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Chickens!! I love chickens I always wanted to raise some.....

But I have no advice to offer.....that's really nice of you to egg sit....hopefully everything this be ok
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

We have chickens but never raised them from eggs - only from pullets.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

My Aunt gave me specific instructions on how to help the chick hatch should it decide to. She was in a hurry and I didn't even realize until after she was gone that she forgot feeding instruction and such.

Google is my bestest friend though...
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Tis not all it's cracked up to be, eh?

Ok, I'll chicken out on puns :P

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I've raised very small chicks before, just not from eggs. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to just give them chicken feed, though they'd probably love grubs and worms, if you could get them. It's not like you have to bottle feed them.

I dunno, you could maybe google it to make sure.

I've seen people line a box with tin foil, put in a lightbulb, and keep newborn chicks in that. Keeps them warm.

Comment

Thanks RK- got the warm part down.

I haven't heard a peep from the egg all weekend though.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Well, my egg didn't hatch this weekend- my Aunt came and picked it up today.

If, by some bizarre miracle, the chick is alive in there and does hatch this week I have picked out it's name:

Harry Potter- The Chicken Who Lived.

We'd probably just call it Harry though.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Working...
                X