This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggie question for you cooks!

So...its that time of year again when your up to your eyeballs in fresh produce that your friendly neighbors pay you with so that their paraplegic son can use your heated pool for exercise...

oh wait...that's just in my household

So, We have a 5 gallon bucket of homegrown tomatoes, a dozen ears of corn, potatoes, celery, as well as what you might normally find in a kitchen.

I'm taking a bit of the tomatoes and making my homemade tomato sauce, but I'm getting tired of the scalloped tomatoes mom keeps wanting to make.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can make with these wonderful veggies. Mom and i are NOT vegetarians but we try and eat well....so ideas with meat in them is ok, but we NEED to use up these tomatoes.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

If you have a slow cooker, toss the lot in with meat of your choice, and there you have a good stew.

B
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Find a good salsa recipe. Make a massive batch to get rid of the tomatoes.

Or... Take some with you to work and pawn them off on unsuspecting co-workers. That's what we do in my office.
      Last edited by NightWatch; 08-17-2009, 04:00 AM. Reason: typo
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Stuffed tomatoes? Tomato pickles? Tomato ice cream?

Maybe not ice cream.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Tomatoes: salsa, marinara sauce, snacks, tomato soup, gifts for friends and coworkers.

Corn: black bean and corn salsa, chili, corn chowder, gifts for friends and coworkers.

Celery: tons of stuff....celery, along with onions and carrots, are the base aromatics for so many things, including many soups and stews and stocks.

Potatoes: home fries, mashed potatoes, french fries, potato soup, etc.

Best suggestion: go to food.com and check out their recipe search engine. You can actually punch in ingredients and it will come up with recipes with those ingredients.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester's got a good idea.

personally, I'd make a big ass batch of spaghetti sauce, simmer it down for a day, and then put into containers and freeze/label it.

Celery - great for stuffings & roasts. Put small rump roast into roast bag, put cut/quartered taters in there, chopped celery and onion and roast away!

You need herbs to round this out for salsa/ tomato sauces/ cooking. Ask the neighbors if they've got basil and oregano (j/k) or get it from your supermarket, fresh.

Take pics!
            Cutenoob
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

my mom is the ground beef queen so she could probably tell you a whole bunch of yummy recipes that use meat and tomato.
              the only one i know is tune and tomato stuffed salad with is basically tuna salad layer between alternating layers of tomato but i did google easy tomato recipes and got some fun sounding stuff. like Bacon and tomatoes dip (http://www.nancyskitchen.com/tomato-...omato-dip.html), a yummy sounding mango salad (http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidefr...tomatosala.htm), another yummy salad (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Salad...omatoSalad.htm), soup (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/Tomato.htm) and a bisque (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/...CrabBisque.htm) many of which and be canned or frozen. but if you want a killer baked potato soup ill get it from my mom.
              Last edited by Sliceanddice; 08-17-2009, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Sounds like the makings of a good succotash. You might also make some stew or Manhattan clam chowder.

Comment

Oh yes, another idea for the tomatoes: Slice them partially into wedges (don't separate them) spread them out into bowls, and stuff them. Some ideas are tuna salad, cottage cheese, chicken salad, hummus, etc.

Comment

Potatoes and celery say potato salad to me. Or creamy potato soup.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                    X