X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello.. Long time, no post <<never ever ever working night shift again :D>>

Hey peoples!!

Well, taking the title from Amina, but...

Tonight, I handed in my resignation WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehe

My official reason is that I'm pissed off with the new manager who is quite willing to lie to my face... he said to me some time back that a new penalty rate for us night shifters was fair, and that he supported it, and that if it was in his power, he would give it to us... well, it IS in his power, and now instead of saying 'yes, here you go', or even 'no, sorry, there are reasons such as xyz for it', he's picked and said it's somebody else (who isn't saying 'no', just 'we don't have shift workers'...)

That's the offical reason.

The real reason is:

I've scored myself a position as a lecturer in JiuJiang University's Foreign Languages department.l JiuJiang University is a few hundred miles or so inland from Shanghai. I start 21st September, so am in the process of cleaning up my crap, and trying to sell my furniture and other stuff.. Then, I drive up to Bris-vegas to see a few friends for a week, then.... off off and away!

Apparently, I will have good net access while I'm there, so I should still be able to visit and drop a few comments from time to time! But... as a lecturer in a uni, I'm not thinking I'll have too many SC's... (maybe some MiM tales though...)

BE Happy!
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
    But... as a lecturer in a uni, I'm not thinking I'll have too many SC's... (maybe some MiM tales though...)
    No, but you will have SS's...Sucky Students! Best of luck to you!
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post

But... as a lecturer in a uni, I'm not thinking I'll have too many SC's... (maybe some MiM tales though...)
      Alright I'm done laughing at you for now. While I've never been a lecturer I have been a teaching assistant and I know a few others on the board have or are graduate students with teaching duties and lecturers. I am also still a student so I get to appreciate student stupidness for a while longer.

Students will turn in papers that will make you weep for the state of the education system even if they're in the most exclusive private school ever. They will expect to get a passing or higher grade with out having earned it. There are horror stories on this board about students in university, have fun reading them.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Ah.. let me clarify then, Soulstealer...

I will be 'teaching' oral English and comprehension.

So, basically, my job will be to sit or stand in front of the students, and talk. Then, get them to talk...

No paperwork... no homework... no assignments....

Education system?? Don't care (other than they'll have some strange ideas about how the language works...).

But they just might hate me for a bit as I try and weed out their bad or non-existent pronunciations...

If they can't talk properly, they don't get the pass... and they'll all be chinese - so a somewhat different attitude to learning than in many western countries.
        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I'm curious now.

Will there be any text books to back up your wordings? A Chinese friend of mine, here in America, he had a bunch of these books. The problem: King's English text. Colloquisms and idioms from America were not represented, creating some confusion.

Plus, Hong Kong used to be a UK territory - I don't know exactly where you're headed, but find out. .

One tree, two treeS. One: A; two:couple; three:few; four:many.
          R's and L's will be the most difficult for them to pronounce.

Cutenoob

PS congrats, buddy! take lots of pics too!
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

That's awesome!!! Hope you have a great time!
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Cutenoob....

JiuJiang University, JiangXi province... a few hundred miles inland of Shanghai.

Apparently, there is some sort of course structure, and some sort of text book to follow... but I'll be organising it with others there, so I'm not too worried.

As for American colloquialisms and idioms.. I dunno... I know they'll all pick up a few Aussie ones

As I've worked in call centres for the past 8 years or so, trust me, I know what to fix!!! They will get their L's and R's right! They will learn to say Two, and THRee, and eighT...... and "G'day, mate"!

BSE - I'm on GloatFaceBook, and there's another couple of places for traveller's blogs I might try out. FB isn't as good for 'blogging'... (anyone got any good suggestions?)

Comment

Working...
              X