This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to rent out a room

my brother's moved out so i need to rent out a room in my house. i'm kind of nervous doing this, and would prefer a friend move in.

any advice?

thanks
    To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
    my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

I'm assuming you don't have any friends who are looking for a place to live, or you wouldn't be asking for advice

You could try something like roommates.com. That's how I found my roomie. When you sign up you specify whether you are looking for a room or have a room to fill.

You could also spread the word with your friends, if you trust them to not recommend any psychos. Maybe someone knows someone who needs a place.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Rule number 1: you are not their friend. You are their landlord. I don't care if they have known you for 30 years, you are their landlord not their friend.

Rule number 2: in writing, every detail, every agreement is in writing. Oral contracts are only worth the paper they're printed on.

Rule number 3: do not take cash, take checks. paper trail could cover your ass.

Rule number 4: give receipts and get them to sign that they received them.

Rule number 5: If you wouldn't have the heart to throw them out after them not paying rent for 2 months, then don't rent to them at all.

Rule number 6: if they are responsible for any chores as part of staying there then be specific not vague (dishes 3 times a week, take out garbage every wednesday etc.)

Rule number 7: your room has a lock.

Rule number 8: your computer has a password.

one further thing you can get a minifridge that has a lock.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I think Jester could probably give some good advice here (or at least some good stories...) I've never had a roommate besides who I'm living with now, who is my husband, so I don't think he counts. However, just general knowledge: "Friends" can be complete douchebags, no matter how well you think you know them. One reason I never wanted a roommate when I had my own apartment was 'cuz I've heard so many things about friends thinking they'd be great roommates together and as soon as they move in together, shit hits the fan. So, even if you do find a friend to be a roommate, be very careful!

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
          I think Jester could probably give some good advice here (or at least some good stories...)
          Stories, yes. Advice? Well, don't listen to Jester when it comes to roommates!

Seriously, I have had some bad luck with roommates. Mr. Anti-Social has been great--we've been roommates for eight years, through two different apartments. But the third roommate has been entertaining at times. And by "entertaining" I am talking about things like train wrecks, car fires, and sports riots.

I do know that there is no guaranteed way to get a good roommate. I have had friends who were great roommates, and friends who were horrible roommates. Ditto with complete strangers.

Basically, I have no idea what to tell you! Other than.....GOOD LUCK!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
          X