This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logical Fallacy

I can't remember what its called or even if it is one, but I will elaborate:

Guy #1: I think abortion should be legal.

Guy #2: Oh that's a great idea. Then EVERYONE will get abortions and in 20 years everyone in this country will be dead because you want everyone to get abortions. Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What's that called?

Hyperbole maybe?
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Sort of, but I think it's more on the grounds that Guy #1 isn't saying everyone should get an abortion, just that women should have the option available to them, and Guy #2 is attacking an entirely different position that Guy #1 didn't even mention. If that makes sense.....

Comment

fallacy of necessity?
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

It's actually multiple fallacies. Appeal to ridicule, with the "oooooh noooooooooo," bit. Strawman, because he's making the other person's argument out to be "everyone should have to get abortions," or "everyone WILL get them," not "they should be available." Possibly shades of slippery slope, too. The last one I can't remember the name of, but it has to do with extending a situation past the point of the logical conclusion to absurdity.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Because every woman who becomes pregnant will kill the baby because she doesn't want it. No woman wants to raise a family these days.

Some people need to just keep their mouths shut.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              extending a situation past the point of the logical conclusion to absurdity.
              Argument ad absurdem.

Comment

False dichotomy. If A is true, then B and only B must be true!
                Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Argument ad absurdem.
                  YES! That's the one I was thinking of.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

slippery slope?

From what I remember of that intro to logic class I took (weirdly enough some of it was enforced in a later political science classes) some fallacies can be categorized under more than one type of fallacy.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Straw Man was the one I was thinking of, thanks! I probably could have used a better example .

Comment

Ummm ... there's a fallacy in there???

Brief, basic lot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy
                        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
                          Straw Man was the one I was thinking of, thanks! I probably could have used a better example .
                          DrFaroohk's question has been answered, so I'm going to close this before it heads down the "slippery slope" to Fratching.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Working...
                          X