This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat 4!!

The first hurricane (there have been 3 tropical storms) is now a Cat 4. As of now, he doesn't look like he will hit the mainland, but we will feel some of his affects.

LARGE SWELLS ASSOCIATED WITH BILL WILL BE IMPACTING THE ISLANDS OF
    THE NORTHEAST CARIBBEAN SEA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. LARGE
    SWELLS ASSOCIATED WITH BILL SHOULD ALSO BEGIN TO AFFECT BERMUDA AND
    PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF THE UNITED STATES FRIDAY AND
    SATURDAY.

I'm a meteorlogist (non-working) so I am rather excited by this, but hope anyone in Bill's path is safe! (though I do think Connecticut is well due for a hit)
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

I love hurricanes...I was living in Florida back when andrew hit miami/homestead, and I lived in West palm beach....i was maybe 8...and I thought it cool even though all the adults were all freaking out!

but thats just me
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

There's a Bill Clinton joke in here somewhere....

I just hope everyone comes out okay.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

teehee, there is most definatley a Clinton joke

Though, I am a bit peeved my picnic is going to be canceled....my bf and I were gonna talk about finally getting a house!! Granted, we still can....but I wanted that picnic!

Silly Bill!
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

We had the remnants of Ana go though today and had what later became Camile (I think that was her name) this past weekend.

I'm always watching these storms. LAter in the weekend to early next week new England will have some good waves - it'll be a great time to head to the beach for shells.

Oh yeah, nice satellite imagery, just let it catch up to you:

http://www.wunderground.com/wunderma...0&ndfd=0&pix=0

He's huge now - if he made landfall at the right place tropical storm force winds would go from Maimi to North Carolina. He's got another 2-3 days of growing so that would stretch it up past DC. That means the entire southern half of the east coast would be in a tropical storm if he made landfall at the right place.

Thank god we don't get many storms this big and strong making landfall often.

the VERY scary thing is that if a high pressure forms over or to the north of Bermuda it could push Bill right into New England (worse than Bob) - he might not strengthen but he would be moving a lot faster.
          Last edited by draggar; 08-20-2009, 01:47 AM.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I've never understood how you guys put up with hurricanes. How often do you guys have damage to your house/have no house when it's over? Doesn't it get expensive to fix...?
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
              I've never understood how you guys put up with hurricanes. How often do you guys have damage to your house/have no house when it's over? Doesn't it get expensive to fix...?
              I've had one direct hit from a major hurricane and 3 brushes with others.

Frances and Jeanne - inconveniences.
              Katrina - nothing.

Wilma kicked our asses but what you see on the news normally isn't the norm- they will go to the worst areas to make it look bad. With some exceptions for Florida (Charley, Andrew) it's not as bad as the news makes it look.

As for repairs - it's just the deductible and everything replaced is up to code.

As for what we deal with:
              http://www.hurricaneweblogs.com/photos/

The "cold" winters in the northeast kill more people every year than all the hurricanes do combined. They also traditionally cause more damage yet you don't see that on the news, just a major hurricane hitting someplace.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Claudette was the C-storm

Bill won't do much to the mainland, though I do predict some surfing related accidents.

Though I still believe CT is long overdue for a hit....we have gotten too complacent....we should be ready (then again, that is a typical CT thing....we forget we actually get weather.....this is most seen after the first snowfall)

Comment

You got hit from Bob back in 1991 - I remember that one, he kicked out asses in New Hampshire. No power for 2 weeks.

BTW - you better hope that High at 30N 70W stays strong.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post

The "cold" winters in the northeast kill more people every year than all the hurricanes do combined. They also traditionally cause more damage yet you don't see that on the news, just a major hurricane hitting someplace.
                    How often do you guys have to evacuate the area? I'm betting that gets annoying. And how much is the deductible for Hurricane insurance? :P Sorry, I live in Minnesota and I've never seen a coast in my life, heh.
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

The first hurricane I remember was Gloria, when I was in 5th grade, I think. It just rained alllllll day long.

I won't argue with some hurricane effects here if it means an end to the 90+ degree days and 1200% humidity...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't want to get hit by a hurricane again....don't don't don't. Brings out the stupid, the entitlement, and the just plain ugly. That, and I live alone, and have nowhere to go... >.>

Comment

I was in Northern CT for Bob, the family was still on the shoreline. Bob wasn't a direct hit, like Gloria (Gloria rocked, was in 2nd grade.....no school for a week!)

I am such a hurricane history buff.....I like going to Watch Hill, RI, and thinking about the '38 'cane.

btw, Bill's a Cat 3 this morn

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                            How often do you guys have to evacuate the area? I'm betting that gets annoying. And how much is the deductible for Hurricane insurance? :P Sorry, I live in Minnesota and I've never seen a coast in my life, heh.
                            I've evacuated once - and I really didn't have to. Frances was our first and we didn't know what to expect. We stayed for Wilma (but next time a Cat3 is coming, we're out of here).

We were one step away form evacuating from Ike last year - we were dead center in the 72 hour cone and he was supposed to hit Ft Lauderdale head on as a Cat 4/5. One update later, he was going far south of us across Cuba and into the gulf.

Looks like the weaker side of the storm could be over the New England coast Saturday into Sunday. The far parts of it - nothing more than a really bad (and REAL) Nor'Easter.

Expect tropical storm force winds over RI, eastern MA, southeastern NH, and southern Maine, getting worse the further north you go. looks like he could hit Nova Scotia late Sunday or early Monday as a very strong Cat2 or low end Cat3.

Just because you're outside of the cone doesn't mean that you are in the clear. It shouldn't be too bad, though. 95% - 99% of the damage will be localized around landfall.
                            Last edited by draggar; 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM.
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

I won't argue with some hurricane effects here if it means an end to the 90+ degree days and 1200% humidity...
                              We're hoping for some of the rain here in NC too. Our water supply is at 70% capacity and if we don't receive any substantial amount of rainfall anytime soon (even though it rained last night and again today for a spell) we could be back on water restrictions (we were on restrictions during 2007 and just came off it last year.)

And we've been dealing with lower 90's with moderate to high humididity, so we'd be grateful for a break too.

So get the foreplay out of the way and come already, Bill.

*crawls back into gutter*
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X