Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where I live is a strange place to live...but wonderful when it comes to weather.

my house is 32 miles from my mom's house.
    we (my mom and I) had a few rumbles of thunder, and some wind with clouds, but not so much as a drop of rain.
    my house (I'm visiting my mother) had torrential downpours that flooded the streets, backed up the sewer systems, downed some trees, and cut power to the north end of town.

a hurricane would have to come up through mississippi, detour up into kentucky, and come down into the mountains of TN inorder for us to get anything more then rain and some wind...and thats the same with any major storm system.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

It looks like Cape Cod and maybe the RI coast is under a tropical storm warning. From the distance I'd be surprised if there was any damage - maybe some riptide and small surge issues, but that's it.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Mass seems to be under a TS warning, and high surf advisories for Rhode Island.

The bf and are planning on heading to RI tomorrow to see the waves (and have time with my 'rents)

Amazing this big ol' storm hasn't caused much damage (at least, I haven't heard anything)
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

He really hasn't hit any land - he's hitting Bermuda as we speak but they're pretty well prepared for them and so far no repots of damage - so any is mimial there. Luckily he'll weaken a lot before scraping Novia Scotia and they're pretty well prepared for Nor'Easters so they should be able to weather the weaker part of the storm.

We don't get many waves here since we're blocked by the Bahamas but I think we are still under a riptide advisory.

Everyone got lucky with this one.

Out network operations team actually used Bill as a drill - they used his speed and trajectory to predict when it would hit the Ft Lauderdale area. The RF engineers were running simulations of certain levels of outages, field ops were getting their COWs (Cells on Wheels) ready, the switches were getting things secured and backed up. Too bad I was off Thurs and Fri so we couldn't test the WiFi for an emergency response team.
          Last edited by draggar; 08-22-2009, 02:14 PM.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            I love hurricanes...I was living in Florida back when andrew hit miami/homestead, and I lived in West palm beach....i was maybe 8...and I thought it cool even though all the adults were all freaking out!

but thats just me
            I was 8 when Andrew hit and I remember the ass-whoppin he gave to Homestead. I was in Broward County at the time. For a Cat 2/3 Wilma sure did give us a wolloping and because of that I missed a week of work since so many traffic lights were down and there was no way to get a ride. When we had Frances and Jeanne, my little cousin J called it the big yellow storm (due to the color it showed up as under the radar on TV.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

According to the recent radar - a strong storm is moving over eastern Mass / RI right now - including the cape and the islands. That's feeder band 1

It looks like there is another BIG feeder band covering the entire eastern half of PA and going up into NY and down into MD and DE. It's also going though the bay and down the VA coast. It looks like there is a small cell also being pulled in that is severe in central NC.

It also looks like the outermost bands are starting to hit the NH / ME coastlines as well as Nova Scotia.
              Last edited by draggar; 08-23-2009, 01:00 AM.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                You got hit from Bob back in 1991 - I remember that one, he kicked out asses in New Hampshire. No power for 2 weeks.

BTW - you better hope that High at 30N 70W stays strong.
                We also lost power [in eastern CT] for a couple of weeks - though we have a generator that can do our water pump [yay flushie toilets and running water] the refrigerator, and the tv, cable, cable modem, a lamp and a laptop in the summer we cook on a grill, in the winter we cook on the woodstove used for heating.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                  I was in Northern CT for Bob, the family was still on the shoreline. Bob wasn't a direct hit, like Gloria (Gloria rocked, was in 2nd grade.....no school for a week!)

I am such a hurricane history buff.....I like going to Watch Hill, RI, and thinking about the '38 'cane.

The 38 hurricane was amazing ... though one of my favorite Bogart movies is Key Largo

My first hurricane was Candy in 68 - blew our sailboat from harborage in Rochester Ny to the harbor in Kingston Ontario. We were all still asleep [we had set a sea anchor when we got to kingston so it looked like we were adrift] and the authorities sent a boat out because they though either we were all dead or nobody was on board.

Then was Gloria in 85, I had just moved down to tidewater virginia.

Then Charlie in 86 ... Andrew didnt do much in tidewater it was a fair bit out into the atlantic.

Alberto and Chris in 88 sort of ignored us

In 89 Hugo bothered us on the way from tidewater to california, and jerry bothered us on the way back [we drove]

Was all good as in 90 we moved to CT ... much fewer storms here. I can deal with snow - you dont have blizzards in connecticut [I come from the buffalo weather belt. trust me, you DONT have snow in CT.] I actually was driving from ROchester Ny to Springfield OH in the april 82 blizzard. It was pretty impressive. I had started out before the leading edge hit the buffalo area, and as I didnt have a tv, I had no idea it was coming. It took me 13 hours to do a 6 hour drive.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                    I don't want to get hit by a hurricane again....don't don't don't. Brings out the stupid, the entitlement, and the just plain ugly. That, and I live alone, and have nowhere to go... >.>
                    Lupo, I think there are enough of us in the Austin area that somebody could take you in if you have to evacuate again. It might not be comfy, but it'd be dry!
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

We went to RI.....it was okay....waves here pretty fun to see.

Course, I was on edge, the second we walked through the door, my mother said, "Want food? Want foods now? Now? Now? Now? now" rinse, repeats. Ugh.
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                      X