This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a cd in my food...

Last night, I went to the grocery store to stock up on food for house-sitting. The store near my house had a pretty big "world foods" aisle, and I picked up some heat-and-serve Indian meals (along with microwave pad thai, jelly babies, and wine gums!) One was a dessert thing called Pentha Halwa.

I get home, eat dinner, and decide to try the dessert. I opened the package, dumped out the pouch of food...and out comes a cd with it! My first thought was just that this was very bizarre. But as I heated up the dessert, I looked at the cd. It's a recording of a traditional style of Indian music, and the case told a bit about the structure of the genre. I listened to the CD, and there was a recording before the music that talked more about the genre.

I decided that this is actually pretty dang awesome. So often you eat food derived from a culture without ever experiencing more of the culture than that. This cd gives me the chance to experience a little more of Indian culture.

Plus, I just kinda like the music. Gotta remember to buy this brand again--there's 5 different albums you can get!

Oh, and the Pentha Halwa? TO DIE FOR! Holy crap, that stuff is good.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

That is really neat. Some Japanese snacks will have toys included, and I used to buy some candy that had a small picture book in the package. I really like the idea of putting some cultural goodies in with foreign food.

I'll have to try that dessert.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My officemates have instructed me never to bring in Pentha Halwa again, because it will make them break their diets.

This stuff is SERIOUSLY good, even reheated in the microwave. I need to stock up on it.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Now that's an interesting way of exposing people to a different culture. That's really damn cool.
        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I have a bunch of Indian music cds I got with some Indian food items I bought a month ago. Haven't listened to it yet though.

Comment

Joi, what brand is the pentha halwa? I'd love to pick it up if I could.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X