Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So frustrated with my D&D group... (long, ranty, geeky)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post

Question: just exactly how does one play a game that is more mind than brain?
    gah i ment BRAWN!!!!!! I HIT THE WRONG KEY!!!

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      you're only asking that to lull me into a false sense safety. But I'll stop you I still have my hat wearing kangaroos.
      Actually, no. I really am not familiar with the Paranoia game. As I said, I AM an idiot.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      gah i ment BRAWN!!!!!! I HIT THE WRONG KEY!!!
      And I thank you for that awesome opportunity!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Actually, no. I really am not familiar with the Paranoia game. As I said, I AM an idiot.
        I've never played it, but Paranoia is an RPG set in the future where the Computer runs all of society. The problem is the Computer is insane. The players are all hunting forces that are a threat to the Computer, but because the Computer is insane, EVERYTHING is a threat... including the players themselves.

What usually results is a huge series of explosions and players dying in horrendous ways.

The reason it was brought up here is because the character creation rules are highly detailed, taking a lot of time to follow... and the characters end up dying by accident within the first 10 minutes of gameplay.

More details here...
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
          What usually results is a huge series of explosions and players dying in horrendous ways.
          Sounds like the average movie of the week on Spike.

So....where's the flaw?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

So....where's the flaw?
            Well, you only get six copies of your character.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

So....where's the flaw?
              It takes a horrendously long time to make a character, which dies right away.

Some players love their characters as they make them, tweaking the stats so that they can do anything, go anywhere, survive anything... So when the Computer fries the character with microwaves because "runny nose = mutant Commie" within the first five minutes, it's like killing a piece of them.

( )

I guess if you're not a gamer you wouldn't quite understand.

Play WoW? Imagine taking an hour to design a character, going online and "BAM! HEADSHOT!" dying when you turn around. Then having to design ANOTHER character from scratch...

That's the only analogy I can come up with (plus, that episode of "South Park" was just on a few days ago, so it's fresh in my mind).
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                It takes a horrendously long time to make a character, which dies right away.

I guess if you're not a gamer you wouldn't quite understand.

Play WoW? Imagine taking an hour to design a character, going online and "BAM! HEADSHOT!" dying when you turn around. Then having to design ANOTHER character from scratch...
                I am not a gamer, but I have played in the past, so I do get it. Far more than I get the WoW reference, frankly, having never played that.

But when I said "Where's the flaw?" I was being cynical. I find it hilarious, the thought of these people spending that time on their characters only for them to go up in a puff of smoke. Where's the flaw? I.e., what's so bad about this bad stuff happening to these people from our perspective?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Oh... my bad. I guess that you never quite struck me as the gaming type. You may have mentioned it before but I either missed it or forgot it.

Comment

Working...
                  X