Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm getting Survivor's Syndrome...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm getting Survivor's Syndrome...

So I found out a week ago one of my coworkers was 'laid off.' He said that, but the rest of us know management knows he's done some things that warrented him actually being fired (stealing money, sleeping on the job, etc.)

But then I learned that 2-coworkers in another department were laid off. I didn't see that one coming. One might have deserved it, the other not. So it makes me wonder just how much our company is tightening its belt, even after all the cuts we've already had. It makes me worry. I spoke to my supervisor and asked if I had a reason to worry. She assured me that my job was secure for the forseable future (she doesn't beat around the bush, so I'm sure she's on the level); but corporate could always make an unexpected decision she'd have to abide by. I just wonder how low can we go? Right now we're at 3-full timers and about 8-part timers. The one we lost was a full-timer. We're expecting to lose another full-timer because he has some personal issues he has to leave due to. So even thought I'll have been with the company the least amount of time I will be one of the 2 full timers! I can't see our department surviving with only part timers, because this is a 2nd job for most of them and their availability wouldn't allow for such drastic changes in scheduling. Not to mention a security job REALLY requires insurance; I've been close to getting hurt several times!

I don't know, it's depressing knowing your coworkers could be getting the ax, and knowing most of them work their tails off so it's not any fault of theirs. One of my coworkers loves being all doom-and-gloom and makes me even more depressed (it's his hobby to make me worry). Sigh. I hope some of the changes coming will improve things enough that the company can stop cutting the essentials. I'm not only 3rd shift security, but I volunteered to water & trim the plants since they let go the contractor who did that! Hopefully they look at that keeping me will continue to save them money!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

With the way the job market and economy is, I don't blame you or anybody else for doing whatever they can to keep their jobs.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I know what that's like. I've been at my current job, literally since the beginning. Quite a few of my coworkers have "disappeared" for one reason or another. A few got fired, some left for more lucrative opportunities, others left when their internships expired and they went back to school. That's probably why I don't get "attached" to people much now--they're not going to be around long, so why bother?

I'm still around, simply because I'm good at what I do. I'm the ultimate Survivor
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
      X