This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (*^%&*&%((^% FIRE ANTS!!!

For those of you not in the south (or in cooler areas) be glad you do not have to deal with fire ants at the extent we do here in south Florida.

I was walking Maiya this morning and forget about her fetish for pooping ON their mounds. Now, if their mound is disturbed, they all come running out in full force, I'm talking hundreds if not thousands and they all BITE BITE BITE BITE BITE.

Unknown to me (it was dark out) she pooped just past their mound so guess where I put the flashlight? ON THE MOUND.

I pick up her poop and then the flashlight. As I'm walking over to the trash barrel I feel a small sting on my hand. I think it's just one bug bite. I brush off my hand and continue walking. I feel more bites, and more bites. I take the light and look at my hand - ITS COVERED IN THEM. Then I realize the flashlight is covered in them.

I drop the light on the ground and start to brush off my had as quickly as I can - and this agitates them even more so they BITE more.

I run in the house (and of course, Maiya being as sensitive as she is freezes halfway there) and wash my hands off in hot water (that only got the rest of the ants off). I grab a lap napkin and my other flashlight to retrieve the flashlight. It's still covered and I'm using the lap napkin to get them off - I had to throw out the napkin since it was infested and they were trying to mount a second wave attack on my hand.

Now my hand is swollen up.

I should be fine / back to normal by this afternoon, though.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Fire ants really do suck! Once they've bitten you if you get the itchy little blister from it and you scratch- it makes a bunch more itchy little blisters.

What I hate is when they make their home in a sidewalk crack- you can't see it's harboring a mound. You walk over it and they swarm you.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

... and they chase you, that's the worst part!
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I'd just like to say I am TERRIFIED of fire ants. One time, when I was a kid, and my dad was still working a farm for his friend, I was running around playing outside. Now, mind you, I was REALLY young (like, 4 or 5 years old), and it was really hot. Being that young, Dad still had us running around in our underwear when it was hot out. Well, I sat on a mound, unbeknownst to me or Dad, and started playing in the dirt around it.

Needless to say, they swarmed all over me, and to this day, I'm terrified of them.

Comment

ugh!!

you guys officially gave me like reason #2987 as to why I refuse to move to Florida.

Ive seen those bastards...lookin at me and stuff, lol. My poor kids cant go play in Grandmas yard without being assaulted by ants. And bugs just love to chew on my 3 yr old for some reason.

Comment

They are a pain in the ass. I'm going to fill up a 6 gallon jug of HOT water when I get home and pour it on them.

My hand is still swollen - especially my index finger (I think that got the worst of it). The worst was the botes inbetween my fingers!
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Go to the store and get a cheap-ass box of Grits. Dump a packet on and leave it alone until the next day. Then do it again and once more. This usually kills them because they take the Grits home, eat them and blow up from the inside.

Dead Ants without the poison.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                They are a pain in the ass. I'm going to fill up a 6 gallon jug of HOT water when I get home and pour it on them.

My hand is still swollen - especially my index finger (I think that got the worst of it). The worst was the botes inbetween my fingers!
                OOO!! I woulda said video tape it, but Im sure its done by now.

Comment

Draggar, it's too late for you now, but in the future, the BEST thing to put on ant bites is GO-JO. Yeah, the automotive hand cleaner! Get a tub today and keep it in a handy place. The next time you get bit or stung by ANYTHING, smear the stuff on, let it sit for a minute, and wipe or wash it off with plain water.

I discovered this back in 1977 when I was cleaning up after working on my car. The ant bites I had inadvertently smeared with GO-JO did not even itch, much less blister. I don't know what ingredient it is in there, but other hand cleaners do not work. Just regular old cream-style GO-JO. The last time I got swarmed, I came out with only 2 blisters, and those didn't even itch much!

And no, I do not own stock in the company, even though I should!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Ugh, fire ants suck.
                    I grew up in the Caribbean, so I'm quite familiar with them. If you got bitten by one, you would do anything to get rid of it, up to and including a striptease out of a rad suit in the middle of a leaking nuclear reactor
                    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Here where I live we have what are called "toxic harvester ants". They're large ants that build big flat mounds. When disturbed they bite like the dickens! I had one bite on my ankle that took three days to disappear. A friend of mine got several bites on his foot and was in pain for a week.

While it would be nice to eradicate them, however, they are one of the few things horned toads eat. Their decline, due to competing ant species (like fire ants) is one of the reason horned toads are getting rare. So while I still eliminate nests that are in really bad spots, I have to let the rest alone.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                        the BEST thing to put on ant bites is GO-JO.
                        I would have never thought of that. I wonder if it's the orange oil in it?
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'd still go with actual poison for the mound. It works!

Which reminds me, I need a new bottle as well.
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Poison - I'm going to talk to the board about that one - the stuff is expensive as hell here.

I barely slept last night - I must have slept badly the night before because I was sore all day (before the bites) and with my hand itchy and swollen it was just worse.

I've actually been up for two hours and I went to the pharmacy and got some hydrocortosone, aloe, and antihistamines. I'm off to take a nap now.
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                            X