This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas party dress help...

Just a quick one for me to throw out there.

I'm finally going to our store's Christmas party with my boyfriend as well.
    From what I've heard in previous years, usually cocktail dresses are the way to go (for girls ). I have a couple of problems with that thouh...

1) Due to the fact that I am somewhat curvy, I prefer knee-length dresses or just above the knee.
    2) All of my short dresses (as in knee-length or slightly above) are black. I want to try and avoid wearing black this time if I can.
    3) I do not wear heels normally. It's mostly because I'm already tall enough as it is (about 5'7"-5'8") and my coworkers are mostly on the short side.

Basically the questions I have are.

1) Would a maxi dress work for the night if I find a nice enough one? http://maxidress.org/what-is-the-maxi-dress/
    2) Any ideas for dress shape or style if I do go cocktail? I'd prefer to wear a bra if I can.
    3) Shoes?
    Last edited by fireheart; 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

The maxi dress (funny, I've always just called it a sundress) is likely too summery and too casual for a party requiring cocktail dresses.

Try a skirt and top pair. I frequently will do that, as I'm different sizes on top and bottom and can *rarely* find a dress that fits well, unless it has a ton of lycra in it. My favourit formal pairing for Christmas parties is a velvet mock turtleneck (I have red, green, and blue) with short sleeves with a slinky black skirt. Add accessories and strappy heels (you could probably get away with flats, if they're somewhat formal, otherwise kitten heels might be your best bet) and it's a great outfit.

Typically, if an invite mentions "cocktail formal" they're looking for women to be dressed for an evening event with music along the lines of classical or jazz. There may or may not be dancing, but if so, it's unlikely to be club music or modern pop. The idea is to mingle with people you don't normally talk to and present yourself (and your company) very well.

Do you have any more info on the activities? A tea-length skirt or dress might be ok, if there is going to be any sort of dance floor and DJ, or if it is a more casual get-together.

Oh, and a note about cocktail dresses - they don't have to be strappy little numbers with nothing from the middle of the chest up, and pure slinkyness the rest. I've seen dresses with long sleeves and full coverage. The formality of the dress would be the key thing, if it truly is a cocktail-formal event.

Comment

personally i would go with a maxi dress for a company party. theey can make you look just a bit trashy if not properly done. great for spring and summer not fall or winter.
      personally i would go with something like this http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Kathe...PurchaseType=0
      flirty, good color, nice length, weatheer approprate even if its not cold cold, can be persoanlized with a nice necklace (or this one or this one) a pair of simple earrings, most likely hoops they would be nice and simple

as for shoes i always love flats, ballet flats or short boots

Comment

There are some gorgeous calf-length dresses out there. Try Cold Water Creek. I adore their clothes.

The dresses they have now are more autumny and on the casual side, but they will have more coming out soon that are more suited for holiday parties.

As the PP said, cocktail doesn't mean slinky, strappy or straplesss. Wear shoes that are stylish, yet comfortable. Absolutely break them in by wearing them around the house.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I like that dress, Slice....and there's an Avenue store about 40 minutes away from here. Hm, I think I might have to check it out!
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            I like that dress, Slice....and there's an Avenue store about 40 minutes away from here. Hm, I think I might have to check it out!
            i know right?
            for a tomboyish, punk/freak i have good taste in dresses

Comment

I have a really hard time finding cute, "young" clothes in my size, and the folks at Maurice's are probably sick of me!! So, it's always good to find a new store to try, even if it's a bit of a drive.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well, if you're going to buy a new dress, what's your budget?

Because I like this one; http://www.edressme.com/c3387.html
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Well, fireheart is in Australia, if I'm not mistaken. In which case, Christmas is summer, not winter.

You could always spice up a plain black dress with some cute jewelry and shoes, and a jacket or wrap, if you don't want to go all out on a new dress.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thank you BE, yes I am Australian, so our Christmas is in Summer. (yeah trust me, 5 different meats taste great in 40-something degree weather (Celsius))

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found a dress the other day which I thought might work. I'll put up a pic at some stage.

Comment

*facepalm*

I forgot you were in Australia! The velvet definitely wouldn't work, then!

I usually wear silk for Easter, but basically the same style of outfit. Short sleeved, mock turtleneck top with long skirt. Satisfies my gothy urge as well as my mother's desire for me to look nice for the only Mass she *insists* I go to. And that's more for the sake of being with family than religious reasons.

Comment

and a bit of an update on the dress hunt.

I went shopping with the boyfriend the other day for some help, since I'm sorta stuck.
                        We narrowed it down to three different dresses-the one I picked previously and two others he showed me (I just told him that it had to be knee-length and not overly strappy since I wanted to be able to wear a bra with it)

1) The tag says "drape dress" and basically, it billows out over the chest, nips in just under there and then billows down after that. There are some sleeve-coverings, albeit sheer (the lining of the dress will cover up my bra) and it's a fairly dark blue (about the same colour as the forum jump listings at the bottom-that blue)

2) A somewhat tie-dyed style, of a fairly lime green and blue. The stripes are vertical, not horizontal. That's more or a last resort for me.

3) A brown peasant-style dress (basically peasant-style shirt, skirt which ends at about the knee)..

I'm still considering the maxi dress idea since I found a few that could work as an evening dress, although wearing flats may not work in that case.

Comment

Working...
                        X