Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, so I accidentally deleted my novel...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so I accidentally deleted my novel...

That's about the size of it.

In other news, the doctor seems to think my scabies is gone. So, woot on that.

But about the novel? I've had to restart it something like 4 or 5 times. I went to work on it this morning for the first time in quite some time, and sometime over the course of dealing with the scabies and what not, the novel disappeared. I hadn't felt like writing a single word while dealing with the goddamn scabies and what a nasty surprise to find out that two chapters I was very pleased with are now gone.

I need a hug.

And I am now safe to hug.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Internet hugs are always safe

Of all the files to disappear...
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

*hugs*

Can you take the computer to a data recovery dealie?
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

*hugs*

Im sorry about the deletion..that sounds heartbreaking. How far along were you?

Also, Scabies sux! My son picked it up in kindergarten.. I felt to bad for him..all i would hear at night was him scratching himself to death. Im pretty sure I was starting to pick it up as well before we figured out what it was. Thank God for pesticide lotion.

Comment

*hugs*

It has happened to me more then once.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Okay, hug.(hug hug hug).

Now.

Get thee to Google Docs and set up an account. They have free Microsoft Word you can use, plus storage. Write and store in that. Google docs is connected to GMail, so you can mail stuff to yourself. My gmail account is for my own personal use only, so it does not get cluttered up with other crap. I use it for my writing.

Then upload your stuff as you write it to either a storage harddrive or a second service (In my case, I write a "story blog" and just post each chapter when I'm ready in Blogger. No, I'm not trying to get it traditionally published. It's an experiment').

That way, two things can happen:

One, you can access your work from any computer. I have a netbook, so I can work and upload anywhere. It's very nice.

Two, if your harddrive or your storage service goes down, or you have a brainfart and perform some monumental fuck up, you have backups.

I got something like forty thousand words online right now. I'm not inclined to risk that with a lightning strike or me downing too much tequila. Both have been known to happen.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Get thee to Google Docs and set up an account.
              Oh, yes, this.

I do all my writing on google docs. It's very handy, plus I don't have to worry about losing my flash drive. I cannot keep track of small objects.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If you accidentally deleted it... it should still be in the recycle bin on your desktop. ... Make sure you check it first before you give up on it. I would recomend buying a cheep 2 gig flash drive, they are like 9.99 at office depot. I back all my writing up on one and keep it in a safe place "Just in Case" I also made a back up on my e-mail. "just incase" cause my computer has fried itself enough times that I would have had to re-write 5 -7 chapters like 50 times :P
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                  I do all my writing on google docs. It's very handy, plus I don't have to worry about losing my flash drive. I cannot keep track of small objects.
                  I've started doing the same thing. I keep getting ideas while I'm at work and I never seem to remember to bring my notebook into the building.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Kinkoid! I'll definitely have to look into that...

On another bright side, while at work last night, I came up with an even better -- and grosser -- way to start my story!

Comment

Woot! Yay for guts, blood and gore!

So, what's your novel about?

Comment

You know, everyone asks me that, and I always have to say that it would sound weird to explain. And it would take waaaay too long...

But, in a nutshell, we've got fallen angels, Egyptian goddesses (enslaved!), Greek goddesses with lollipops, serial murderers, a very nasty creature that lives in a little white house and eats human misery, people driven insane, hotel desk clerks... and the whole thing is heavily predicated on the notion that everybody (and every creature) has a affinity with a specific tarot arcana.

Oh, and yes, it's set in Asheville, about the closest you'll ever come in real life to Derry, Maine.
                        Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-10-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                          Oh, and yes, it's set in Asheville, about the closest you'll ever come in real life to Derry, Maine.
                          I was about to say that it sounds a bit influenced by Stephen King...
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X